Moving images from PC to a MAC.

Name
paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been given a fairly new Mac, all my images (about 3000) are on my old PC (windows 7) how do I move my image, mostly DN.

I would be grateful for any help.

If they are on the same network share either the drive you want to copy from or to, then copy and paste. Make sure to unshare the drive after.

Or use an external harddrive.

What are you using to manage images on your PC? Is the same software available on the Mac?

Thank for the help

I have big learning curve I have not even turn the mac on yet, can the mac read my external ssd?

At the moment I am using lightroom and cs6 but will be looking for options.

A move in that direction is almost completely painless unless you have files in a proprietary windows-only format. Just copy them over either by network or on a drive.

The Mac is about 2 years old at most and I was run window 7 64 bit so I would think the ssd would be FAT 32

Your Mac should be able to read the external SSD, although it may not be able to write to it.

One thing to be aware of with Lightroom is that you may need to relink your images, if you move your catalogue over - each thumbnail will have a little icon to show that the image is no longer tied to the original file. You click the icon and link to where the new file is. Lightroom should be able to work out the new format for all similar images, so you don't need to do too many.

The Mac is about 2 years old at most and I was run window 7 64 bit so I would think the ssd would be FAT 32
You can double check by connecting the drive in Windows, right clicking it and choosing properties. Windows usually defaults to using NTFS for formatting and won't format FAT32 over 32GB, I've seen external devices shipped using FAT32, exFAT or NTFS for their partitions.

Back