Yes
Hi,

I know it's random question

What to photograph in Australia

I am going to be working in Sydney for 3 years

What do you think

Thanks in advance

Jason

Austalia's a big place ;) there's quite a bit to shoot. I moved down here a little over six years ago - just been granted my permanent residency last week.

It's pretty much the same as anywhere else, in that you can shoot whatever you're interested in shooting. Sydney is one of my favourite places for street photography. They have great light up there, lots of glass bouncing light around and plenty of the famous harsh Aussie sun - see Trent Parke, Andrew Quilty, et al. The bit of street stuff I have up on my website is roughly 50/50 Sydney/Melbourne.

Of course there's the Harbour / Circular Quay, whilst touristy, it is a very impressive looking place. Ferry's going out to Manly, etc give you a good view of the city as well. You get great light around Darling Harbour in the evening due to the orientation of the city, it's usually better than Circular Quay.

Bondi is Bondi, it looks like it does on the telly. Being on the East coast it looks best at sunrise. The local council are arses when it comes to photography though - while I've had no problems myself, plenty of people have, including famous photographers having cameras confiscated. There's a great walk little with awesome views from the South end of the beach going up over the cliffs to Tamarama beach.

Not far West of Sydney are the Blue Mountains, only takes a bit over an hour to drive out there. Great bush scenery, a bit of wildlife and some famous rock formations.

Then there's the rest of Australia, Melbourne is a great city (hence me moving here) and 90 minutes in the car from the city centre could have you on a world class surf beach, in a temperate rainforest, up a mountain or in wine country.

Of course there's the "Red Centre" proper Outback. If you're into camping at all there are endless places to go within an easy drive from most cities. I really recommend spending some time out in the bush, because there's not much development over here outside of the major cities, the night skies can be pretty spectacular. (y)

There's loads more, let me know if you want to know anything in particular. I think there are a few other Aussie based people on the forums as well.

Thanks

Just really excited about the job and using my camera

Jason

Back