Name
Geof
Edit My Images
Yes
i have the lumix G1 and kit lens 24-45

is it worth changing body to G5...i will still use the kit lens...for present

cheers
geof

I have the G5 and bought my wife a G3 but I haven't used the G1. The G3 upwards uses the 16mp sensor rather than the 12mp on the G1/G2. The G2 and upwards have a touch screen which is useful for selecting the focus point and menu selections. The G5 has automatic switching between the EVF and rear screen. The G3 has to be changed manually. The G5 has a much bigger hand grip and is much more secure to hold. It also has a power zoom switch which I use for exposure compensation. Both cameras are likely to be in incremental step up in terms of image quality compared to the G1 but by how much I can't really say, or if it's enough to justify an upgrade. Both the G3 and G5 tend to blow out the highlights a bit too easily and I find I need to use exposure compensation for some shots. ISO 1600 or ISO 3200 are really the maximum usable settings on these cameras in my view. A G3 body is well under £100 these days and MPB have a number of G5 bodies at £159. Both have video capabilities as already mentioned. The G6 adds wireless capability and support for off camera flash using such as the Olympus FL36R or FL50R. The G7 adds 4K video capability and again I would expect some incremental improvement in image quality and usable ISO. I also own a GH3, that really is a quantum leap in all respects, but that includes size, weight and cost, but a great camera, especially for video.
The 14-45mm lens is well regarded, sharp and probably the best kit lens Panasonic have produced to date. This is reflected in its price on the secondhand market and it is well worth retaining for another body.

I have the G5 and bought my wife a G3 but I haven't used the G1. The G3 upwards uses the 16mp sensor rather than the 12mp on the G1/G2. The G2 and upwards have a touch screen which is useful for selecting the focus point and menu selections. The G5 has automatic switching between the EVF and rear screen. The G3 has to be changed manually. The G5 has a much bigger hand grip and is much more secure to hold. It also has a power zoom switch which I use for exposure compensation. Both cameras are likely to be in incremental step up in terms of image quality compared to the G1 but by how much I can't really say, or if it's enough to justify an upgrade. Both the G3 and G5 tend to blow out the highlights a bit too easily and I find I need to use exposure compensation for some shots. ISO 1600 or ISO 3200 are really the maximum usable settings on these cameras in my view. A G3 body is well under £100 these days and MPB have a number of G5 bodies at £159. Both have video capabilities as already mentioned. The G6 adds wireless capability and support for off camera flash using such as the Olympus FL36R or FL50R. The G7 adds 4K video capability and again I would expect some incremental improvement in image quality and usable ISO. I also own a GH3, that really is a quantum leap in all respects, but that includes size, weight and cost, but a great camera, especially for video.
The 14-45mm lens is well regarded, sharp and probably the best kit lens Panasonic have produced to date. This is reflected in its price on the secondhand market and it is well worth retaining for another body.

thanks Harvey
your comment about the G5 sounds like it is about as far i need to go...and pricewise i see as quite a decent amateur like me will want to spend
i normally spot read my exposures and even then underexpose around 2/3-1 stop....old tranny man!!

really appreciate that help
cheers
geof

If you don't need video I would save your money for lenses and keep the G1

Back