Mow Cop Folly

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I live about 5 mins walk away from this folly (it isn't a ruin it was never finished) so went for a walk on Saturday to take a few pics. Decided to take my tripod and try a few HDR type shots as i've also recently got Photoshop CS3.

I've probably got carried away here but this is my first attempt using the feature. It's made up of 3 pics to give better exposure of the foreground, the folly and the sky.

C+C most welcome

7efb7b2d.jpg

Hiya dolomitefan, I live in between you and mickhall !

I've visited the folly a few times (in fact I got what I believe to be my most dramatic HDR ever from the place !)

Did you tonemap this after processing it, the sky looks very strange !

It's a great subject though and definitely worth a visit from anyone who lives close enough ..........

I think I need to work on my tonemapping skills. From macker's example it looks as if I have much to learn.

Well bored here at work I now seem to have missed the point somewhat, question though was that Mow Cop pic produced in Photoshop or Photomatrix?

That was done in Photomatrix and then tweaked in Photoshop mate ...............

the sky needs sorting but its quite good, i only clicked on it because i recognised the name "mow cop" from somewhere, realised that it was quite close to where one of my mates lived and he'd pointed it out on the motorway, strange what the mind remembers isnt it!

no one has ever answered me in this but whats HDR stand for?

Nice attempt - I used to live nr Congleton so know Mow Cop well :)

Its an interesting composition, it needs the PO though imo.. for somereason its looking like its been over dodged/burned??

Whats happened to the sky???

This was my first feeble attempt at HDR, things have moved on now i'll post some more soon hopefully.

It looks like a great site for photography. I find the shot really lacking in contrast.

I'm in Crewe and often pop over to Mow to get a decent sunrise. I think I have that exact same shot in my computer somewhere (minus the HDR).

Andy

That place brings back bad memories, when I was a photography student I got a friend to run round the castle firing a flash for me. Got some great shots except after 2 hours in freezing weather, I realized I had forgot to put film in the camera....:)

She is luckily still my friend although it did cause a few smiles at my wedding...

I have worse memories! - A long time ago, when I was involved in video rather than photography I had agreed to shoot a music promo with a band.

I had seen Mow Cop from a distance but knew nothing about it and thought it would be a good location. So after much driving around and squinting at maps we arrived at the bottom of the hill you have photographed (basically the back of the folly for those who know it). So we then lugged up a U-Matic camera kit, a full drum kit, guitars basses and other props and wardrobe items. It took ages and was hard work, and the band were already complaining.

Of course it was only when we got to the top that instead of a remote and deserted castle on a windblown hill, we were greeted with the sight of a car park, complete with fully serviceable road. The place was packed with families eating ice creams and kids running everywhere.

Needless to say the band and their manager were non too pleased and I learned a lot that day about the value of location scouting!

I come from Kidsgrove and spent most of my school summer holidays playing up and around Mow Cop castle - oh what memories......I love it up there - we used to sit in the windows, is that bars I can see on them now?

I might know some of you guys who live near there.

Alison :)

I used to live nr Congleton so know Mow Cop well

I was born in Congleton (long long time ago) and saw Mow Cop daily on the skyline, but for all the years I lived there, and my visits back, I never have actually been up there to see it proper. It's on the 'to do' list !

I'm from Congleton as well :)
Well worth a visit next time you are up in Cheshire.

Umatic! Ouch...horrible heavy kit.

Last edited:
Back