MP-E testing

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
Well I got an MP-E on Friday... been testing it out.

Shot with my Reversed lighting setup;

1. 1x Mag

MP-E Test (1 of 41)
by bthomas124, on Flickr

2. 5x Mag

MP-E Test (5 of 41)
by bthomas124, on Flickr

3. Monster Daff

MP-E Test (7 of 41)
by bthomas124, on Flickr

4. Clash of the Titans....

MP-E Test (24 of 41)
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_2817
by bthomas124, on Flickr

6. Unknown at 5x Mag

IMG_2811
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_2824
by bthomas124, on Flickr

I'm not sure that the quality is any better than my reversed kit lens... on initial pixel peeking they both appear to produce very similar results... this may be due to the lighting so will try and improve that first and try on both setup's but if still same results think the MP-E may get returned. Will create a thread once I have results from both lens on same subject and lighting hopefully.

All comments welcome and appreciated.

:ty:

Look pretty sharp to me. Is the first two a RJ45?

Aww geeez Bryn, you got another butt shot for me :D
1st and 2nd are the best of the bunch, great sharpness too.(y)

Woo hoo! MP-E crew!

Looks like you've taken to it very quickly. I think what you pay for with the MP-E is not sharpness as such (and you were already getting very sharp results, not sure how much you can realistically improve on that, even though optically the MP-E is top notch), what you pay for is convenience. Just spend some time out it the garden, shooting different subjects of various sizes and see how quickly you can get to different magnifications, different aperture settings and as a result, change your compositions. That's where the MP-E really excels...

Look pretty sharp to me. Is the first two a RJ45?

It is indeed the console cable from Cisco kit is a bit more colourful but my one was in use at the time of these so when I get a chance will give it another go. Agree sharp but kit lens reversed is also very sharp it seems.

If you can, give it time. I was terrified of mine for months before I got better with it :)

Don't get me wrong it's a great bit of kit.... but how much over the kit lens I'm not sure though CA is loads better on MP-E

Aww geeez Bryn, you got another butt shot for me :D
1st and 2nd are the best of the bunch, great sharpness too.(y)

It was all for you... ;)

Well it looks very good so far m8 - kudos for the new purchase (you greedy git)... :p :D

Paul.

Well Venus is great but I don't think I could easily get it to take me to 5x mag without lots of faff... I like it for what it is and with TC up to 2.75x mag simple and easy but for smaller bug hunts without cropping then MP-E is a must.

Woo hoo! MP-E crew!

Looks like you've taken to it very quickly. I think what you pay for with the MP-E is not sharpness as such (and you were already getting very sharp results, not sure how much you can realistically improve on that, even though optically the MP-E is top notch), what you pay for is convenience. Just spend some time out it the garden, shooting different subjects of various sizes and see how quickly you can get to different magnifications, different aperture settings and as a result, change your compositions. That's where the MP-E really excels...

As you know well hope you know I have become quite a kin to the kit reversed. So only advantage this has is the aperture change which is a royal pita with kit lens. Changing magnification was easy and I could do it without looking at lens in the end. But it was a 2 way process with changing focus ring and focal length ring. The other thing which is an advantage was the small adjustment required for lighting and weight (Cubersomeness).

I will hopefully get some more practice in before my 14 days are up so I can decide what to do. One lens will be going. :)

The thing is Bryn you are very adept at getting quality shots with the kit lens and as such don't have a lot of headroom for improvement just with a lens change. Macro photography more than any other type is all about the flash and diffusion quality as you know. This aspect is the great leveller much more so than the lens. Think of it as changing your snooker cue, once you have gotten comfortable handling the lens and refined your lighting again you will notice the benefits of the extra lens quality. I have noticed if i get the diffusion right at 5x then when i wind it in it gets better and better.

They look pretty good to me Bryn, some very fine detail and plenty of punch.(y)

George.

They look pretty good to me Bryn, some very fine detail and plenty of punch.(y)

George.

Thanks George... got to sort out a FMMB alias like yours but barrel rotates on the MP-E so your solution is not as simple. :)

Keep it cos you'll look like a dick using a reversed lens if you go anywhere with it. :D

Cracking shots Bryn-la.

Cheers mate, have you ever done Macro? You automatically look like a dick when you do it anyway so little more dick worthy is no matter. :p

Obviously by dick I mean super doo per cool dude if any macroers read this :D

Congrats on your new toy, Bryn. Esp like the flower and the ant shots.

Thanks Kurt much appreciated it's going to complement the Venus perfectly.

Just need to join the MT24 ex and I can be a fully fledged member. (Not going to happen soon though)

I still cannot believe that someone like Yongnuo hasn't made a knock off version of that flash. It's effectively £500+ for a used twin flash or nothing. Bizarre that such an obvious gaping hole in the flash market remains unfilled.

Thanks George... got to sort out a FMMB alias like yours but barrel rotates on the MP-E so your solution is not as simple.

I also have a lens that the barrel rotates Bryn, the way I attach my FMMB to it is via a polarising filter mount (glass removed). The filter ring mounts to the lens as normal but still has the front bit that rotates. This is the part that I mount my bracket on and to keep it upright or in the chosen position I either secure it with a couple of elastic bands around the bracket & camera or with some Blue-Tack. Not very elegant but Hey! it works.:)

George.

I still cannot believe that someone like Yongnuo hasn't made a knock off version of that flash. It's effectively £500+ for a used twin flash or nothing. Bizarre that such an obvious gaping hole in the flash market remains unfilled.

Yongnuo make Flashes for Canon so it may be something Canon stipulated... Its stupid that someone hasn't done it though

I also have a lens that the barrel rotates Bryn, the way I attach my FMMB to it is via a polarising filter mount (glass removed). The filter ring mounts to the lens as normal but still has the front bit that rotates. This is the part that I mount my bracket on and to keep it upright or in the chosen position I either secure it with a couple of elastic bands around the bracket & camera or with some Blue-Tack. Not very elegant but Hey! it works.:)

George.

This is the way I'm thinking to get it to work... but how did you find a bracket that fitted the polariser??? Was thinking a Juliet clip for toilet or similar, but see if I have the skill to pull it off.

The other option was to get a hotshoe tripod mount adapter then a straight bracket and move the flash forward and back on that only problem I can see with that Idea is potentially poking me in the head at 1x Mag.

This is the way I'm thinking to get it to work... but how did you find a bracket that fitted the polariser??? Was thinking a Juliet clip for toilet or similar, but see if I have the skill to pull it off.

The other option was to get a hotshoe tripod mount adapter then a straight bracket and move the flash forward and back on that only problem I can see with that Idea is potentially poking me in the head at 1x Mag.

If you give ebay a look Bryn, and search "Tripod Mounting Ring" it's possible that you might find just what your looking for.

I was figuring that one of these mounted on a lens or filter ring upside down and an angled flash bracket attached to the tripod part of the mounting ring should do the trick. It would then move in conjunction with the lens similar to the way I have made my bracket.

It shouldn't be too difficult to make it fit whatever lens you want by extending the locking screw if needed or packing the bracket out with Blue-Tack (which is how I do mine) if it's too large.

Hope this helps.,

George.

I used to use a filter ring for my FMMB, but it doesn't provide a great amount of area for attaching the actual bracket. My first effort was with some strong metal glue and some thermal plastic. The glue snapped fairly quickly, but I was very lucky that the thermal plastic held, and even allowed my to rotate the bracket without losing too much tension. I was concerned it wasn't particularly durable, and the plastic would likely soften in hot weather, so I have been looking for an alternative since.

Sorry Bryn, not had chance to do a full write up as promised, but my latest DIY FMMB is constructed of a thin (1mm) aluminium bar (around 13cm long) bent into shape, with a 1/4" hole for the screw mount. This is stuck to a 58-22mm step down ring which provides a much larger surface area on the front than the filter (I just glued it with the metal glue). It also acts as a small lens hood for the MP-E. I use a small ball-head and short coiled flash cable to mount the flash to the bracket, via the screw mount.

Here are the components (or similar) I used:

Aluminium bar (1.5mm) - sturdy enough to support up to a 270ex, but you may need a slightly thicker one for large flash heads:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171348638149?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=470403751383&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Step Down ring:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110351335764?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
This almost covers the front f the MP-E (the black spirally bit) but leaves enough space around the front element itself. John Hallmen uses this as a small reflector which you can see in action here (I intend to cover mine with chrome spray paint).

Metal epoxy:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Glue-...F8&qid=1427060920&sr=8-2&keywords=metal+epoxy
Careful with this stuff. Ask an adult to help ;)

Screw mounts (not exactly the same as the ones i got, but these are similarly cheap...)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/2pcs-Longer-D-RING-Camera-Stainless/dp/B009PTNOF0/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1427060030&sr=1-9&keywords=D-Ring+Screws+1/4"+Camera+Tripod+QR+Plate+Screw

6.5mm drill bit (to drill the aluminium bar for the screw mount)
http://www.wilko.com/power-tools/wilko-steel-twist-drill-high-speed-65mm-x-2/invt/0286648

That's it, hopefully it makes sense but I'll post pics as soon as I can. At 1.5mm, the aluminium is bendable by providing enough pressure, but you might need to bend it with a hammer if you go much thicker. I've done this before by positioning a flat chisel beneath the bar at the point I want to bend then clamping it all down to a table. I then "gently" tapped it into shape as needed. You might also want to get some wire wool if you want to get a longer bar and cut it down to the right size, and for smoothing around the drill hole.

Here's a quick assembly guide ;)

Last edited:
@TimmyG thanks for that it looks amazing. Got me thinking about it if I can get hold of a step down that is metal then my Bro in-law could weld it together well hope he could or possible I could solder it together?

Does the front element not rotate on the MP-E not checked that out yet.

The ones I linked to are metal (and quite solid and heavy... You may just need to wait a week or so for delivery). Front doesn't rotate on MP-E.

Have you thought of using Cokin filter holoders as the 58 P size has quite a big area to work with.

http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/photog...type/kood-ptype-58mm-adapter-ring-p-1265.html

Hope you enjoy the new toy :)

I have just built a version of Steb1 set up. ( Yet to get foam but using vellum till I find some.)

May be a rig you can use for your flash ? Solid for the 270ex. For a larger one may need to hoods for longer base.

Food for thought Guys.... do wonder if that will stick too far out front with the MP-E though? Maybe and maybe not.

It does not really stick out in front. The biggest issue will be the fact it is slightly raising the lowest point the lens front can go. Maybe an issue for ground bugs - will let you know when I get to try it out.

That might be fixed if you lob of bottom of square holder. :D

Ive been reading this with my eyes open, ya never know, I might want to do something one day, anyway, I was looking on Youtube and I came across this, it might just be up your street :D its supposed to be very effective.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ5r-kTvV4Y

Ive been reading this with my eyes open, ya never know, I might want to do something one day, anyway, I was looking on Youtube and I came across this, it might just be up your street :D its supposed to be very effective.

lmao.... that would make my macro loads better...

Back