MPB Harrier Tripod - Thoughts?

tdp

Name
Tom Dauben
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Its been a while since I used TP, but when looking at options for a new tripod its reminded what an amazing resource it is!

I'm in the market for a new tripod and I've narrowed down my search to a few options, MPB Harrier, Mefoto Globetrotter or a Red Snapper RSF324. I did also contemplate the Manfrotto 190Go, but the previous ones seemed better packages.
I've seen reviews of the Globetrotter or the RS, but nothing really other than the Northlights review of the MPB Harrier - has any any experience of it?

It will be used for landscapes primarily up on Dartmoor as its a short walk from my front door, and will have to support a 7D + 17-40 + filters. I'm 6'1" and would like it also to have a bag hook to help with stability (well, it is Dartmoor) and collapse small enough to not be a pain when walking with it (plus small enough for travel as we're off to Iceland in March and it will be coming with us).

Any suggestions or comments on the three welcome, but particularly the Harrier as there seems to be virtually nothing out there.

Loads of these tripods about, this looks like a budget version of a Sirui I saw recently, durability is an unknown factor.
The 4ft 9in height will be with the centre column fully extended, less than ideal for stabililty especially if its windy.

If you could up your budget this is a real bargain http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-gitzo-gt1532-mountaineer-series-1-carbon-exact-tripod/p1549683
Bought one myself and its excellent, ideally closed length could be slightly shorter, but not exactly unmanageable at 2ft

Last edited:
Back