MPB

Edit My Images
No
I've sold items to MPB on many occasions and always been very happy with their service.

However......................... I recently sent them a Fuji X-E2 body and 16-50 OIS II lens. Both items were in mint condition, as has all the stuff I've sent them. I received an email this morning saying that they were unable to purchase the lens as "it has damage within one of the internal elements". It worked perfectly up to the time I sent it so I can't understand that. Also, the quote for the body had to be changed because it "has some cosmetic scratches throughout the camera body, this grades it within our 'Good' category." Well I know for a fact that it didn't have a mark on it! The items were very carefully packed.

I'm seriously gutted!

I’ve found them a bit all over the place in the past few months in terms of checking and paying for gear too.

They will shortly be approaching two weeks since they’ve had £1600 worth of stuff from me and no sign of it being checked yet. I had this a few months back too and they prioritised it once they’d read that here and asked for my order number, not a practice I agree with as I’d rather they treated everyone equally and had capacity to process gear in a reasonable time.

They still quote 4-5 days but it’s a minimum of 8 in my experience.

Why do people choose MPB over CEX ? Do MPB generally offer more money than CEX ?

I tend to sell/trade my stuff with CEX - there's a branch in most towns you can walk in to, don't have to post stuff off with the risk of it being damaged in transit and/or have to deal with remote valuations.
CEX also advertise what you get for selling to them, something MPB don't seem to do

MPB have an auto-responder email quote for most items so you get the initial valuation within seconds of submitting the form. So whilst they don’t advertise them as such, it takes no time at all to get a quote.

In my experience MPB and WEX are very competitive against any other companies, in fact it can often be borderline whether it’s worth selling privately here vs them.

[QUOTE="ukaskew, post: 7990738, member: 1888"
In my experience MPB and WEX are very competitive against any other companies, in fact it can often be borderline whether it’s worth selling privately here vs them.[/QUOTE]

I'd second that. Their quote for stuff I had on sale here recently was so competitive it made it not worth the hassle of selling privately

Last edited:
MPB were very fair when I sold a lens to them recently, in fact gave me a little bit more than they quoted.

On the other hand happened to be in Park Cameras yesterday and looked at a newly released camera.
Their part ex offers were less than generous and know they have to make a profit, but still.

CEX always seem a bit seedy to me and a bit like cash converters, always dodgy looking herberts hanging about too.
You know the sort I mean, pale, gaunt, unshaven with greasy hair and rather pungent, look like they have been on the pipe for years.

Last edited:
Why do people choose MPB over CEX ? Do MPB generally offer more money than CEX ?

I tend to sell/trade my stuff with CEX - there's a branch in most towns you can walk in to, don't have to post stuff off with the risk of it being damaged in transit and/or have to deal with remote valuations.
CEX also advertise what you get for selling to them, something MPB don't seem to do

CEX valuations are around a third less than WEX and MPB in my experience, and for that reason I've never dealt with them, nor would I buy anything from them.

I’ve just contacted MPB as it’s been a full two weeks since they’ve had my gear now, still no payment. A long, long way off the 4-5 days they quote.

I’ve just contacted MPB as it’s been a full two weeks since they’ve had my gear now, still no payment. A long, long way off the 4-5 days they quote.

Hi Ukaskew - I'm sorry you hear you have had to wait so long to receive payment. Demand has been higher than expected over the last 2 months which is why we have taken longer to deal with requests. Please could you message us on here with your transaction ID number and I'll consult with our finance team to get this sorted for you. Clare

I've sold items to MPB on many occasions and always been very happy with their service.

However......................... I recently sent them a Fuji X-E2 body and 16-50 OIS II lens. Both items were in mint condition, as has all the stuff I've sent them. I received an email this morning saying that they were unable to purchase the lens as "it has damage within one of the internal elements". It worked perfectly up to the time I sent it so I can't understand that. Also, the quote for the body had to be changed because it "has some cosmetic scratches throughout the camera body, this grades it within our 'Good' category." Well I know for a fact that it didn't have a mark on it! The items were very carefully packed.

I'm seriously gutted!

Hi Al1944, sorry to hear about this! If you would like to speak with our checking team any further on this then please send over your transaction ID and I will consult with them. Thanks, Clare

Hi everyone, apologies for the issues some of you have been facing with our service recently. As I mentioned to Ukaskew, demand has been higher than expected over the last 2 months so it has taken longer than usual on our side to deal with requests. We are very aware of this problem and we’ve put measures into place to make sure we give a better response moving ahead. If any of you have any further issues, please do not hesitate to contact us on here so that we can look into it and liaise with the relevant advisors to follow up with you. Thanks and apologies again. Clare

Great stuff. As far as my problem is concerned I am in contact with MPB by email. I will post the outcome when completed.

Further to my opening post I can now confirm that MPB have honoured their original quote for my equipment. They have concluded that the damage was caused in transit.
Very pleased with their handling of this and am very grateful to them.

AL

Received the link to add my bank details so mine is pretty much there now.

I would suggest, that as this has been a fairly long term thing now that the ‘will happen within 4-5 working days’ statement included in emails etc is pushing the boundaries of honesty somewhat. It was a full 10 working days for me this time (after chasing up) and similar last time if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Received the link to add my bank details so mine is pretty much there now.

I would suggest, that as this has been a fairly long term thing now that the ‘will happen within 4-5 working days’ statement included in emails etc is pushing the boundaries of honesty somewhat. It was a full 10 working days for me this time (after chasing up) and similar last time if I remember correctly.

Good to hear it's been sorted out - sorry about that again. You're right that it shouldn't have taken this long and you shouldn't have had to chase up either so we will be taking this feed back on board! As I said, we have put measures into place to avoid this happening in future too and honour the 4-5 working days' statement. Clare

Further to my opening post I can now confirm that MPB have honoured their original quote for my equipment. They have concluded that the damage was caused in transit.

AL

How did they get damaged in transit when you said: The items were very carefully packed. That just doesn't add up?
Glad it's sorted for you

How did they get damaged in transit when you said: The items were very carefully packed. That just doesn't add up?
Glad it's sorted for you

Good question. When I get time I will relate the full account of this deal. I'm not very impressed although glad to have received the full payment for my stuff.

It seems a bit strange that they would give full payment if it was damaged in transit. If that were the case then surely they would return the equipment and tell you to put in a claim to the courier as it wouldn't be their responsibility.

It seems a bit strange that they would give full payment if it was damaged in transit. If that were the case then surely they would return the equipment and tell you to put in a claim to the courier as it wouldn't be their responsibility.
MPB book the courier so I would imagine the contract is with them, and it would be for them to claim on the carriers insurance

They arrange courier collection ... but "in transit" could be anything from original collection to dropping it on checking room floor!

AL

OK, just to wrap this up. I visited the MPB website yesterday morning and saw my camera body listed:

SKU:695596
Condition: Like New
This camera body is in near mint condition with almost no signs of use. There are no scuffs or scrapes to the paintwork on the body. The LCD screen is in excellent condition with no notable marks. The sensor is clear and free of scratches. The flash mount has almost no signs of use. All rubber grips and covers are present and in superb condition.

Needless to say I blew a gasket! I contacted MPB and they said "This was an error on our part - the camera does have a defect and was listed on the website incorrectly."

The listing was changed and the item downgraded to 'Good' and the price reduced accordingly.

Following further discussion with MPB I was sent close up photographs of the camera body. These do show marks more consistent with use rather than damage. I'm pretty anal when it comes to looking after stuff and I can honestly say that I never noticed these marks. However, having seen the photographs I do accept that they are there now.

I was also informed that there was "human error here in relation to honouring the price for you".

So, at the end of the day I am pleased that I received the full amount of their initial quote and would like to give Ella at MPB a mention for dealing with the initial problem in such a helpful way. They said:

"We have honoured the 'Like New' pricing here and the camera is retailing at 'Good' pricing; we will always err on the side of our customers and feel we have done so here, taking a hit on our sales margin for the camera in light of your comments."

So at the end of the day things have turned out OK. Pity it was such a hassle, but there you go!

@Al1944

Hum, I can see your point and I'd be equally annoyed.
I'd guess the description and price is standard based on the condition assessed on receipt and when listing on the website is probably on a drop down box selection and was incorrectly selected on listing.

So how did the marks get there, when you said the condition was mint and well packed or were these marks you missed?

@Al1944

Hum, I can see your point and I'd be equally annoyed.
I'd guess the description and price is standard based on the condition assessed on receipt and when listing on the website is probably on a drop down box selection and was incorrectly selected on listing.

So how did the marks get there, when you said the condition was mint and well packed or were these marks you missed?

I honestly didn't see any marks. However, the photos sent to me proved there were marks there which were not the result of 'damage' but looked like marks which would have occurred during use.

I've not sold to MPB but have bought a few times. I've always been pleasantly surprised by the condition, so I think they are OCD or have exacting standards in condition.
Glad it got sorted for you as customer service is really important with companies like this

My 1200D when I sold it was downgraded from Like New to excellent because of Marks on LCD display, but a few days later there was a 1200D as Like New... Didn't have any way to prove it way mine though... Bit disappointed.

I had my first ever downgrade this week after probably 20 or so items over the years, so maybe they are getting strict. Downgraded to good due to marks on the barrel. I don’t recall them myself but let it go, they’ve since listed some of the same item (obviously no idea if it’s mine) with minor barrel marks as excellent.

Interestingly a lens I sold here in excellent condition that the seller then rejected due to a bit of dust and barrel marks sailed straight through MPB in excellent condition!

Not quite on the same level as a large photographic retailer that I returned a new lens to with a very specific fault, that happened to then sell a used lens of the same type a week later to somebody on this very forum that happened to have the exact same fault!

Last edited:
That's why I am wary of a large photographic retailer's "open box" items, often sold at virtually new price.

Not quite on the same level as a large photographic retailer that I returned a new lens to with a very specific fault, that happened to then sell a used lens of the same type a week later to somebody on this very forum that happened to have the exact same fault!

Which company was this? I don't think protecting their name serves any purpose apart from encouraging companies to repeat this kind of behaviour.

I would now suggest to anyone sending gear to any retailer - take plenty of close up pics of your gear, take pics of the different stages in packing and of the finished parcel.

Which company was this? I don't think protecting their name serves any purpose apart from encouraging companies to repeat this kind of behaviour.

I obviously have no proof that it was one and the same lens, but it would have been a massive coincidence if it wasn’t as at the time very few were in circulation.

As a customer, I prefer items to be conservatively graded. Today, I have taken delivery of a M43 lens for my Olympus Pen which MPB graded as 'well used'. While it has obviously been used, I would say it was in excellent condition. I'm delighted!

I can't say enough good about MPB, in the past they've been very quick with items traded in, often confirming and asking for Payment details on the day of arrival but it does seem to be taking longer this time.
If its not a trade, but a straight sale, they do take longer before they confirm.

I waited much longer than expected the last twice. Over ten working days last time and whilst I've always found their quotes very fair for my canon gear I think they seriously undervalue fuji gear which is why I won't offer any more to them.

Mine's a long story, so I'll not bore you to death. Still awaiting payment for gear even after ringing up on two consecutive days this week. They have my bank details, how long does it take to type these in? Not happy.

Mine's a long story, so I'll not bore you to death. Still awaiting payment for gear even after ringing up on two consecutive days this week. They have my bank details, how long does it take to type these in? Not happy.

Hi - just messaged you. Thanks

Had an as expected experience. They examined the goods within the advertised time frame and once we’d agreed a price* they paid very quickly so can’t complain!

* One lens was reduced from like new to excellent. I knew it was borderline so didn’t have any issues.

At the moment I am going through the pros of doing a deal with MPB on my manufacturers swap. Reading the above comments I am hoping all goes well with my deal, I am left without a camera at the moment so hoping for a quick completion.

Should add I have had dealings with them before and everything was very satisfactory with nothing to complain about.

Back