MPB

Name
Margaret
Edit My Images
Yes
just a general question.

I have sold some gear on to MPB, I accepted the quote given last Wednesday but have not heard anything since. Is this usual? How long do they usually take to request payment details? I’m not overly concerned just wondered how long as a rule.

Thanks;)

I would be interested in the answer though as I am waiting on a quote for a couple of lenses.

I would be interested in the answer though as I am waiting on a quote for a couple of lenses.

Ok will ask tomorrow. I think following receipt of the equipment, they sent an adjusted quote 3 days later. I agreed and asked them to proceed, that was Wednesday, not heard since. I’ve no idea if this is the usual waiting period therefore was asking here. Perhaps they are busy with the photography show.
I’m not concerned, I’m sure they’ll get round to it soon;)

Quotes come through in minutes. Arranged collection was a few days (they picked up my Fuji bodies last Thursday), notification of receipt was Friday quoting 3-4 working days for confirmation of valuation.

That’s where I’m up to at the moment.

Last time I dropped my canon gear down at their office and had the cash in bank within 24 hours, so things are a little slower this time :)

Quotes come through in minutes. Arranged collection was a few days (they picked up my Fuji bodies last Thursday), notification of receipt was Friday quoting 3-4 working days for confirmation of valuation.

Last time I dropped my canon gear down at their office and had the cash in bank within 24 hours, so things are a little slower this time :)

Thanks, I will contact them later.

Sorted:) I emailed them, received a quick response. I must have missed an email asking for my bank details, I thought I’d completed one but it seems not. My memory isn’t the greatest though so maybe I didn’t. Anyhow, payment will be made today. Happy days:)

Rather than start a new thread, I'll keep my update in here.

I'm getting a bit annoyed now. When you first get the quote, they say 2 days to complete the transaction...

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 09.29.02.png

So you package up and arrange for collection. When they receive the goods however, this jumps to 3-4 working days.

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 09.33.06.png

Package was received first think Friday morning, so I'm counting Friday as day 1.
Is Saturday a working day? Well they are a retailer, so perhaps yes, perhaps no.
Sunday - okay - probably not a working day.
Monday - let's be generous and call this working day 2.
Tuesday - working day 3.
Wednesday - Working day 4 (I accept it's early, but nothing as yet, so let's home it comes in today).

@mpb.com you might like to amend your pre-sales comms to match your post receipt comms.

Last edited:
Hi, Have to say that the sevice I received from them was s;pot on. I live on Rhodes (GREECE) and traded in my Sigma 24-70mm it was collected next day and in the UK within 3 days, deal was completed on day of arrival and new lens sent next day albeit that did take a week to arrive. Russ

They wouldn't have looked at it on Friday as it would be going through their shipping department so thats not day 1.
Saturday and Sunday they wouldn't have done anything as they only count working days not weekends.
So today would be 3 days, so I'd give them another day or so. I know they say 3-4 Working days but it would depend how busy they are.

I've sold tons of kit through them and they are pretty good but do occasionally take a day or so longer.

Give them a chance David, i don't know the size of the work force but i bet it's not large and if someone's ill etc...takes me long enough to just package stuff, never mind check, catalogue etc..

I did notice the 2 day thing when I was deciding to send them gear recently. They were struggling with a week+ late last year from receiving to paying so I wondered how they managed to get that down to 2 working days.

I have no issues with them at all, they are a great company to deal with. But the 2 day target does seem to be setting customers up for disappointment. My latest transaction is looking like at least 5 working days, which I'd say is fairly standard for them in my experience and therefore much more realistic.

They sent me a "missing" part for a battery grip next day free of charge and to be fair it wasnt listed as being part of the grip (although it is with a new one, so I felt it should be with a 2nd hand one and they agreed).
I though they were good to deal with.

The few times I dealt with them my packages got hit with bad weather delays, Murphy's law on that front. It was more DHL held up the deliveries.

Though I have found them speedy to sort out issues, I have had issues each time I did deal with them. I sent them a perfectly good conditioned lens and they claimed there was traces of moisture inside and dropped their offer - I had them return it, and managed to sell it for a better price than their original quote a week later. More recently I bought a used tele lens, it was graded on their site as 'very good' condition, but immediately upon opening the package i could see it was more like 'good but needs a good scrub'! I cleaned it with 4 medi-wipes, the first was almost black after use - I emailed to complain, and fair enough, they refunded me £30 and apologized, saying it must have somehow been overlooked by QC.

Last edited:
It's now a full week since they received the lens and I have a updated quote. I accepted that within a few min of the email arriving, but again nothing. I would have expected to have been taken to a 'give me your bank details' page, but no, and no followup email in the following hours either. I even pinged a question off by email towards the end of the day, will see if I get a reply today.

Is this the normal process now?

Last time I used MPB (it was years ago!) I had the cash in bank within 24 hours of dropping off the kit and I've jumped to their defence ever since, but this time, while I didn't expect the same, I did expect the 'We aim to complete the transaction within 2 days' to be remotely accurate.

Very different experience this time:
  • I requested the Quote on the 10th March - very quick. Promised the 2 day target to complete.
  • Booked collection, but earliest they could do was the 13th for collection (I assume Monday was full), so I had to push back a couple of days to the Thursday (that's 2 days I introduced as a delay)
  • Collected as promised on 15th.
  • Email from MPB at 10.16am on the 16th to say it's arrived - notification that checking will now take 3-4 days.
  • Checking complete email at 15.08 on the 22nd, offering lower amount
  • Accepted lower amount within 10min - shown a screen saying payment will be made within 2 working days of receiving bank details.
Now waiting on a way to give bank details so I can start the next clock ticking.

From a consumer perspective in this 24/7 world we now inhabit, this seems very slow. Bear in mind they are now an international company, we're now up to 13 days elapsed (11 adjusted for my delay), with no firm end in sight.
I am sure @mpb.com will deliver eventually - it's not a question of trust, their reputation is sound on that front. It's a question of managing expectation and better communication. Don't suggest 2 days is the norm if it clearly isn't, and improve your comms! Nothing on this thread from them (and we know there are a sponsor here), and on the occasions when I have called, I've had to call / email back to get an answer as the promised callback never materialised.

Last edited:
Whilst I have had issues last year with them I have now just done a deal to exchange one of my lenses and I could not have had better service. Taking into account the bad weather we had recently (for collection & delivery) my deal was completed in about a week, from sending my lens to the money being in my bank account.

It's now a full week since they received the lens and I have a updated quote. I accepted that within a few min of the email arriving, but again nothing. I would have expected to have been taken to a 'give me your bank details' page, but no, and no followup email in the following hours either. I even pinged a question off by email towards the end of the day, will see if I get a reply today.

Is this the normal process now?

Last time I used MPB (it was years ago!) I had the cash in bank within 24 hours of dropping off the kit and I've jumped to their defence ever since, but this time, while I didn't expect the same, I did expect the 'We aim to complete the transaction within 2 days' to be remotely accurate.

Very different experience this time:
  • I requested the Quote on the 10th March - very quick. Promised the 2 day target to complete.
  • Booked collection, but earliest they could do was the 13th for collection (I assume Monday was full), so I had to push back a couple of days to the Thursday (that's 2 days I introduced as a delay)
  • Collected as promised on 15th.
  • Email from MPB at 10.16am on the 16th to say it's arrived - notification that checking will now take 3-4 days.
  • Checking complete email at 15.08 on the 22nd, offering lower amount
  • Accepted lower amount within 10min - shown a screen saying payment will be made within 2 working days of receiving bank details.
Now waiting on a way to give bank details so I can start the next clock ticking.

From a consumer perspective in this 24/7 world we now inhabit, this seems very slow. Bear in mind they are now an international company, we're now up to 13 days elapsed (11 adjusted for my delay), with no firm end in sight.
I am sure @mpb.com will deliver eventually - it's not a question of trust, their reputation is sound on that front. It's a question of managing expectation and better communication. Don't suggest 2 days is the norm if it clearly isn't, and improve your comms! Nothing on this thread from them (and we know there are a sponsor here), and on the occasions when I have called, I've had to call / email back to get an answer as the promised callback never materialised.

Waited until about midday with no response so emailed then again. This time I had a reply in about 10 min, with the link to the bank details.
Submitted the form, but just a note, it now says payment will be made within 3 working days (as opposed to the 2 working days on the revised quote).

At least it's just a waiting game now, no further need to watch for and respond to emails. If MPB do ever read this, my genuine suggestions to improve customer experience would be:
1. Set realistic expectations from the outset; Don't start with two days total before you hook the customer in, then extend each time you send out an email for the next step...
2. Streamline the experience for the customer - allow them to track their goods through the process via a web portal (you are no. 123 in the queue for evaluation, we expect this to take 2 days etc), and allow them to provide supplementary information when it's convenient for them (eg bank details).
3. Using same portal you could include photos of the damage to support a reduced valuation too.

Mine was picked up by DPD at around 1pm so will update as it happens

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the delay that some of you have experienced with selling to us. Of course your custom means a lot to us so I will get this feedback passed on right away!

As it was mentioned here, we do not operate over the weekend - so we will look to change our messaging to make that clearer.

Please do get in touch with us on here if you want to discuss anything further and provide any feedback to us.

Thanks,

Clare - mpb.com

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the delay that some of you have experienced with selling to us. Of course your custom means a lot to us so I will get this feedback passed on right away!

As it was mentioned here, we do not operate over the weekend - so we will look to change our messaging to make that clearer.

Please do get in touch with us on here if you want to discuss anything further and provide any feedback to us.

Thanks,

Clare - mpb.com
Thanks Clare.

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Clare - mpb.com

I have to send a lens back on Monday that was much less than satisfactory upon arrival, it was filthy, I used 4 medi-wipes to clean it. I tried to get along with the lens after that but the manual focus ring is beyond 'a little stiff' - it is completely unusable. When I inquired about sending it back for store credit I was told you can only send out a direct replacement. This is nonsense, a customer has the right to full refund or store credit to the value of goods if the item was in any way faulty. An unusable manual focus on a lens is just that. I have sent Rachael back an email which might bring her more up to speed on consumer rights. For now, i guess I have to accept a replacement, let's hope this one is clean and fully functional!

I have to send a lens back on Monday that was much less than satisfactory upon arrival, it was filthy, I used 4 medi-wipes to clean it. I tried to get along with the lens after that but the manual focus ring is beyond 'a little stiff' - it is completely unusable. When I inquired about sending it back for store credit I was told you can only send out a direct replacement. This is nonsense, a customer has the right to full refund or store credit to the value of goods if the item was in any way faulty. An unusable manual focus on a lens is just that. I have sent Rachael back an email which might bring her more up to speed on consumer rights. For now, i guess I have to accept a replacement, let's hope this one is clean and fully functional!

Hi @Cagey75 - I'm very sorry to hear what happened with the lens you ordered - of course you should not have received the lens in that condition. Unfortunately we do not currently offer store credit to be used at a later date as an option, but again I will pass on this feedback.

Your replacement lens will be sent out once we receive the lens that you're sending back to us - we are making sure that the replacement is fully cleaned and in the correct condition too.

Thanks,

Clare

Hi @Cagey75 - I'm very sorry to hear what happened with the lens you ordered - of course you should not have received the lens in that condition. Unfortunately we do not currently offer store credit to be used at a later date as an option, but again I will pass on this feedback.

Your replacement lens will be sent out once we receive the lens that you're sending back to us - we are making sure that the replacement is fully cleaned and in the correct condition too.

Thanks,

Clare

It was sent yesterday, well packaged and clean. I expect it to get there today and my replacement to be sent out asap. The replacement, my apparent only choice, should have been sent right away, it is not I should be left waiting for mistakes on your part. Also you really should look into consumer law because your TOS go very much against it.

Waited until about midday with no response so emailed then again. This time I had a reply in about 10 min, with the link to the bank details.
Submitted the form, but just a note, it now says payment will be made within 3 working days (as opposed to the 2 working days on the revised quote).

At least it's just a waiting game now, no further need to watch for and respond to emails. If MPB do ever read this, my genuine suggestions to improve customer experience would be:
1. Set realistic expectations from the outset; Don't start with two days total before you hook the customer in, then extend each time you send out an email for the next step...
2. Streamline the experience for the customer - allow them to track their goods through the process via a web portal (you are no. 123 in the queue for evaluation, we expect this to take 2 days etc), and allow them to provide supplementary information when it's convenient for them (eg bank details).
3. Using same portal you could include photos of the damage to support a reduced valuation too.

Update.
Bank details were provided at 11:27 Friday morning.

Still waiting on payment today (Wednesday).

:-(

Update - decided to phone. Apparently I'm due to be on today's payment run :whistle:, so will have my money tonight. "Are you sure?" I said, "you've had my details since Friday". He's sure. So watch this space...

Last edited:
Update.
Bank details were provided at 11:27 Friday morning.

Still waiting on payment today (Wednesday).

:-(

Update - decided to phone. Apparently I'm due to be on today's payment run :whistle:, so will have my money tonight. "Are you sure?" I said, "you've had my details since Friday". He's sure. So watch this space...

Final update - good to their word, the money has just hit the bank account.

They explained on the phone that this was due to a surge of business because of the Photography Show, and I can understand that - just be upfront on the comms and adjust them at the start of the process rather than once you're hooked in.
I still recommend them - never had any doubt it would get sorted, just frustrated over the length of time it took given the initial estimates (2 days) compared to the eventual two week process.

Seems MPB are having numerous problems at the moment going by this thread. I contacted them via their site 12 days ago with a view to offloading one of my cameras and have heard absolutely nothing since. Doubt very much I would entertain them now.

You can ring them ,they are helpful
A thing called ‘work’ gets in the way of their opening hours :(

Add to that though I fail to see the point in them having a ‘get your quote’ section on their website if they fail to respond. May as well replace all that with a ‘call this number” section.

A thing called ‘work’ gets in the way of their opening hours :(

Add to that though I fail to see the point in them having a ‘get your quote’ section on their website if they fail to respond. May as well replace all that with a ‘call this number” section.
agree with that,
in my experience ive always either had an immediate quote from their automated system or within 2 days.
actually thinking about it,ive had an automated reply within 30 mins for the last few months,
I wonder if thats how it should always work now.
I dont know if you've been unlucky or if this is a lot of peoples experience.
! thing I have experienced a few times in the last 9 months has been an automated reply after accepting their offer and booking with DPD.
They actually haven't turned up to pick up so I think that failed at times, so I make it a habit to always ring just to check it is booked with DPD.
as you say out of office hours doesn't help you so agree not good experience for you.

Hi again everyone, apologies for the delay in replying here - we didn't receive a notification for the further messages on this thread.

Thank you again for everyone's feedback here - the messaging over email definitely needs to be more clear so that you know how long it is going to take. I am discussing this with my manager now to see if we can get this changed.

To clarify - the days that we operate are Monday to Friday and we are closed over the weekend - so we refer to working days here too.

For those of you who didn't receive an instant quote for your gear - if our system recognises what the equipment is (and you can select from the dropdown menu when you enter it in) that's when you get an auto-quote, but if it doesn't recognise then our buyers send a manual quote for the gear which takes slightly longer.

If any of you are still having issues and would like your quote looking into or want to provide any more feedback then please pop us a message on here.

Clare

Back