Daily Mr and Mrs West's Year of Change 366 for 2012 (366/366) -DONE!

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
This year promises to be an interesting one. All being well, our firstborn (current favourite name 'Thor') will be joining us about halfway through. So this seems like the perfect opportunity to document the changing year with yet another 366 project, inspired by my chum JohnN. Hopefully with two of us doing it and you chaps on hand, we'll actually keep it up.

So, taking advantage of the peace and quiet in the West household, we started off yesterday with a still life, reflecting the fact that I used to like playing games and probably won't ever have the time again.

Happy New Year by DrHWest, on Flickr

Also on 500px if you like it enough to vote for it!

Last edited:
That first is brilliant (y) I used some game pieces for photo's in my 365 last year and they can be really great to play with (y) I really like what you've done with this one and the exposure etc look spot on to me (y)

I also think that the second image of the cat works well (y) good focus

Best of luck in the challenge (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

First is really nice and second is a lovely looking cat. I do like cats. Good luck for the year ahead.

Gotta say the 2012 was genius, nice work Tony ;)

Really like the first photo. Good luck with the project (and Thor - although you should be guaranteed special help with a Norse god for a son, shouldn't you?).

OK, I've done a JohnN. I've got a couple to choose from for 3.

3 Pathway by DrHWest, on Flickr

3 Teeth by DrHWest, on Flickr

Or 3.
3 Silhouette by DrHWest, on Flickr

I'm leaning towards #3.

ETA: There's a slightly different angle on #1 with a warmer colour cast here, if you prefer:

3 Pathway by DrHWest, on Flickr

Last edited:
For me the first version of pathway - although the silhouette looks like it would have been very good if the branches weren't there.

I just find it too cluttered and distracting, but then we hardly ever agree :)

Last edited:
No, cheat, I had to run round like an idiot to get my pic so you can too :D

Geez, the portrait was scarey!!

I almost did a barb wire shot myself today, yours is better though :)

Day 5: As we've been sorting out the house, Mrs West has had to face some uncomfortable truths about how things are changing.

5 Acceptance by DrHWest, on Flickr

And an added bonus, as we had nice light today, we did some maternity shots. This one is a very tight crop (about 1/4 the original image) but it just goes to show how good the sensor in the D5100 is.

Bump by DrHWest, on Flickr

Very nice and the shots tell a great story... **queue the omen theme** ;)

Seriously thought, great shots and many more to come I'm sure.

……...I used to like playing games and probably won't ever have the time again.

Oh you will. They'll involve glue and lots of repetition, but believe me you'll be playing games alright!!!!

I love bump; one of the nicest maternity shots I've ever seen :)

Okay, took three today that I'm hainv trouble choosing between. Tell me which one you think should be added to the set.

First

Back Passage by DrHWest, on Flickr

Wondering what the area round our house would look like for a little person. There's a sequence of three POV shots on my flickr, but this had the most interesting textures.

Second

Moonshine by DrHWest, on Flickr

She started back at work today, so I took her out for a meal at the end of the day; the moon was just shining through the clouds in the car park as we got out of the car, and the texture of the clouds struck us both.

And finally

Coloured Lights by DrHWest, on Flickr

The recommendation is that she tries to walk around a bit: so after dinner we went for a walk along the front, and she commented how pretty the coloured lights were. Et Voila - coloured lights.

Loving the pictures, have to say the bump picture is my fav but that may be because pregnant women interest me :D not in a weird way, don't worry lol. Also love the barbed wire and the last one! x

I think - I know I'm going to regret this - the back passage for me, now if you'd taken the same approach you wouldn't have had the bump piccy ;)

Seriously though, thats the best of todays I think, shame about the car at teh end though, if that hadn't have been there it might have stretched into the next alley and given real depth.

There isn't another alley there: I live in a ridiculously asymmetrical set of terraces. There's a snicket and a gate and then the next house. You have agreed with the general call I put out over twitter, so the Back Passage it is.

That's 6.

Next year I'm doing the 52 so I have time to plan the shots and be creative. The pressure of this one is great to make sure you get to know your body and all the various settings and it's good for making sure you develop your eye, but I can see it getting a bit wearing before the year is out.

Last edited:
What I've found it that its doing two things for me - firstly getting out with the camera and secondly because I'm only looking at one or two pics instead of tens/hundreds I'm actually doing a bit of post processing and taking some time - that I think is what I'll get out of this most.

Now as to the poor layout, what you need is some of these... :clap:(y)

What I've found it that its doing two things for me - firstly getting out with the camera and secondly because I'm only looking at one or two pics instead of tens/hundreds I'm actually doing a bit of post processing and taking some time - that I think is what I'll get out of this most.

Now as to the poor layout, what you need is some of these... :clap:(y)

What I really want to do is get a bunch of JCBs and choreograph them to Ravell's Bolero.

Thank god for the second shot on Day five otherwise that first for the day could well have had mr wests bed changing for the sofa :exit: congratulations (y)

It's nice to see that your challenge is still going well (y)

Matt

Today's plan was a panorama: alas, it all went a bit Pete Tong.

However, on the way to the position where I was going to take the Panorama, something else caught my eye...

8 Boatrace Under The Sun by DrHWest, on Flickr

And, just for fun, I was able to salvage a tilt shift from the buggered panorama:

Scarborough Tilt by DrHWest, on Flickr

I like the toy town shot, just wondering how it would have looked with focus running up the Esplanade gardens to the Prince of Wales Terrace.

Ah, okay I thought you'd done it in PS rather than in camera.

Very long day at work today, so not much in the way of inspiration when I got back and finished packing. However, there's one thing that's guaranteed to cheer me: thinking about escaping to other places, other times...

Door to Another Place by DrHWest, on Flickr

I was bit annoyed about some of the fringing left by the Lightroom adjustments, so I decided to fix it in PS. But I got distracted...

Windows to Another World by DrHWest, on Flickr

Just viewing from my phone but looks pretty good

Back