Daily Mr and Mrs West's Year of Change 366 for 2012 (366/366) -DONE!

Yeah, I'm liking the toy town one too.

The boatrace one, I personally believe, is a little bit underexposed. The problem you have is that without using filters your camera will be having an internal dilemma between exposing for the highlights and for the shadows, so it will settle for its own happy medium. Unfortunately, on that one the camera's gone for something very neutral - the sky's about a stop under, and you've lost all the detail in the foreground because of the intensity of the sun. That's where you really need filters and manual exposure - but it's down to what circumstances allow - and if you just happened across the boatrace then you can't plan for it :)

Yeah, I'm liking the toy town one too.

The boatrace one, I personally believe, is a little bit underexposed. The problem you have is that without using filters your camera will be having an internal dilemma between exposing for the highlights and for the shadows, so it will settle for its own happy medium. Unfortunately, on that one the camera's gone for something very neutral - the sky's about a stop under, and you've lost all the detail in the foreground because of the intensity of the sun. That's where you really need filters and manual exposure - but it's down to what circumstances allow - and if you just happened across the boatrace then you can't plan for it :)

I agree about the exposure. It was actually my fault: I only compensated up two stops when I should have gone further :bonk: In my defense, I couldn't see the shot on the screen due to the sun in my eyes and was working very fast because the car was parked on double yellows - when I say I was just passing, I mean it.

Still, a valuable lesson learned.

And filters are on my shopping list, after a flash and remote trigger.

Boney!!!

Nice..

I love the Tilt shift (y) I really love that effect when it is done well (y) and that has been (y) and that bones one is great, we had a doctor that lived at the end of our lane and for years he and then his widow kept a skeleton that looked out the front window :LOL:

Matt

I love the Bone shot - make me smile everytime i look at it!

And also the toy town shot is a great effect - is it difficult to create?

I love the Bone shot - make me smile everytime i look at it!

And also the toy town shot is a great effect - is it difficult to create?

Tilt shift is really easy: simply select the area that you want to be in focus - a quite narrow band - and feather the selection. Then invert it and apply a gaussian blur to taste. The final step is to up the saturation (and vibrance if the original picture needs it - generally Sat is enough) on the whole picture.

Et voila.

The only thing is, you must be looking at least partially down on the subject.

Two more that I did last summer:

Champs Elysee, tilt-shift by DrHWest, on Flickr

The Louvre Tilt Shift by DrHWest, on Flickr

The Louvre Tilt shift by DrHWest, on Flickr

As you see, the success or lack thereof is largely down to the original picture you start to work with. Ones without sky seem to be more effective.

Last edited:
I like the stadium shot

Congrats OLD man ;)

Tolk the 35mm out for road testing today. Ended up with two shots I liked, but not sure which one to put in the file for today's 366: what do we think?

First up is that marmitey concept, selective colour:

Reflective II by DrHWest, on Flickr

Secondly, en experiment in constructing a narrative using the depth of field afforded by the new lens:

Not Risk Averse by DrHWest, on Flickr

Which one do we reckon?

Happy belated birthday (y) and a rather nice present :D I can see why your having difficulty picking a POTD today as both are very good (y) it's great that did selective colouring on the reflection also some many would have missed that (y) but I love the DoF and entire concept of the second so it would be that one for me personally (y)

A really nice way to finish your second week of this challenge (y) and you've just been approved for the new flickr group (y)

Matt

The former for me I think, although a very close call - both nice pics.

Thanks for the kind words, Penguin.

I've finally got hold of Silver Efex Pro and started thinking in more detail about about how to use B&W rather just turn the picture grayscale.

So, today's shot is:
15 The Way Through The Woods by DrHWest, on Flickr

Although a very close runner up was:

If You Go Down To The Woods Today... by DrHWest, on Flickr

On my flickr you can see all of today's shot alongside their B&W conversions. It's been an interesting day.

Last edited:
Thanks Adam.

Today I was short on time and short on inspiration, so I had to dive into my list of 'emergency shots' which I'm sure we've all written up.

To be fair, most people who don't know anything about westerns won't get this.

Dead Man by DrHWest, on Flickr

Continuing my experiments with black and white, the Flickr stream shows show variations.

Dead man's hand is very nice and day 15 too, I thought it was rickety train tracks at first too - sort of old west... bit if a subliminal theme

Oh, very nice - I've tried a couple of these and always seemed to miss the sweet spot for focus

I think I prefer the first one, but both are very good.

Brilliant word focus, the two names just jumped out of the page - well done.

I think that Dark at the end of the tunnel is great, I've one seen one along that style taken in Iraq a few years back where the guy shot it looking down a some razor wire hoops on the security fence at a US base :LOL:

Matt

lol, just noticed ADHD... Sorry, its from another thread that got massively derailed!!

Again though nice sharpness and colour - also much better than dull concrete in my eyes.

I love that graffiti photo (y) it really shows where graffiti can become art as apposed to mindless vandalism that many people hate :bonk: I'm sure most people would be more than happy to see more horrible concrete areas like this transformed in this way

I look forward to seeing your progression on this theme (y)

Matt

Today's contribution to Decay Week.

Five Hours by DrHWest, on Flickr

And, in a cunning display of cunning, I've left the setup out at work overnight, allowing me a shot 'in the bag' for tomorrow.

Unless my mushrooms do something interesting. I am watching them with interest (as are the cats, so they may not ever make it on here).

Last edited:
Back