Mr Site and Similar

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
A friend has asked me about a website for selling her greetings cards and she mentioned Mr Site. I've self-hosted websites over the years but never used one of these off the shelf packages. Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with this type of website hosting?

She's looking for a site to showcase her work and have an e-commerce facility to allow online purchases. She has no website experience whatsoever, I'm happy to help her get started but but really want to walk away and leave her to it.

Thanks for any assistance. (y)

Ive seen a few sites use MrSite. Is she more focused on selling then showing or showing rather then selling? As i can see MrSite is more of a "Shop" software site then a showcase.

You could get wordpress so she could show her work off. And maybe add a page or something along them lines to sell her cards using PayPal which is easy to setup.

I think the idea is to sell but it's important that she can set it all up and maintain it herself. I have a couple of Wordpress sites and to be honest I think she would struggle with them.

It would be better to buy a domain & hosting and use a free e-commerce software like OSCart.

Ive just looked at their plans and for one month alone its £25! If she's not making any money atm she could go 6 months and not get one single sale and pay £150!

You can get domain and hosting for around £20 a year.

Crikey, she told me it was a one off cost of £50! I'd better let her know, thanks.

Hold on! What package is she looking at? There seems to be a few on there.

Edit: I think she may be looking at the "Takeaway" packages.

Last edited:
Ah yes, it must be the Pro version at £99 and she has a discount from somewhere making it £50.

the Pro version at £99 isn't the easiest to set up. i did it for my missus.. with a view that she could maintain it herself afterwards... no chance!

the 'shopfront' (i think it's called) is far more user friendly and you can arrange the products very easily into groups or put special offers on etc.. i think they start at £15 per month... but you can get 14 day free trial to give you time to set it up.

Last edited:
There is another option for your friend to consider BaseKit. It's a drag and drop website builder (similar to create a document in PowerPoint) and offers a number of templates that she can choose from to make her life easier.

Their ecommerce package is only £12 a month http://www.basekit.com/pricing (including hosting by Amazon) and all their sites are built in HTML 5 & CSS3 - they're customer support is excellent too which is handy for you as they can provide her with some guidance once you leave her to it.

You get a 14 day free trial (no credit card needed), so you can cancel anytime if it's no good for her needs.

Take a look.

Victor

Last edited:
Back