MS Surface Pro 4 & Lightroom

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, am struggling to get Lightroom Classic to run smoothly when editing on my SP4. It's the m3 4GB version so not necessarily up to spec for LR.

Considerable lag/delay between adjustments is highly frustrating, but being able to use the Surface pen is a breeze compared to mouse on the desktop.

Yes, could go back to use desktop but interested to see if anyone else has successfully used LR on this version of the SP?

You'll probably struggle because of specs, but there are lots of things you can do to speed up windows, remove all the fancy bits and tweaks to settings that will speed it up at the expense of battery.

Theres hundreds of these tweaks available and some you may want to do and others not. It all depends on what else you are using wndows for.
Have a good Google around ' Windows speed tweaks' 'how to speed up windows' etc.

I have the same spec Surface Pro 5, and i find editing not too bad it is the exporting of the Jpegs from LR that makes the device run really hot and due to cpu throttling it takes ages.
But that said i am editing raw files from a Sony A7R2 42mp.
I found using a less resource intensive application like Fastone a better bet and then using LR on my main pc for anything else that needs further tweaking

Many thanks for the advice gents, will see what I can tweak.

personally, I'd sell it and buy something with 16GB or more RAM, and decently sized SSD. i5 or better CPU is recommended. It will be a struggle that will stretch your patience if you decided to stick with it. As long as someone will want it for web browsing, email and movies I'd get it out.

Back