MSM & Canon Help needed if possible please?

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
For a couple of years now i have had problems, reading and understanding instructions on boxes etc. I have also started forgetting words.....so obviously i'm getting old. lol

Anyway, i've got a long planned return to Iceland in 10 days time, and hope to shoot some volcanic activity, but also (yes i'm getting to the point) star / constellation shots (here in the UK this last 6 months its been difficult with weather, lock down, isolating etc, so i havnt ventured out).

I purchased am MSM tracker that seems to be good, but i'm flummoxed on a few things i hope you guys can help with.

I'm taking my Canon 5D mk3, a canon 50mm 1.4 lens and a canon 24-105mm lens

I have also a digital intervalometer (cable type), a good sturdy tripod, my MSM already assembled and charged, so in theory i'm 'good to go'.

Now, the crux of my problem from my first sentence, is that although i have a basic mental picture of how to do it, in truth, i dont know how to use the damn gear due to lack of practice etc ( i am ok using the camera and tripod by the way. lol)

So i'm asking for help and advice again..... which of my 2 lenses should i use? Does my camera 'interface' with the MSM ? if so how? and whats with the math? is there a simple way of just finding out how long an exposure is on a 50mm at F8 , or a 24mm at F8?
I'm sure given 12 months of looking, trying, testing and failing, i could figure it out but for the life of me i'm stuck.

I'm just asking for a 'leg up' if any of you can help? please?
Thanks in advance
Dave

Basically you need to pick a focal length based on your composition or whether or not you want to shoot a panorama.

My go to is f/2, ISO400 and 90 seconds for a more wider landscape scene. I have shot 60 seconds at 40mm. Obviously I could have maybe used even longer shutter speeds but I found that a nice balance. The tracking obviously depends on how accurate your polar alignment is and the focal length of the lens - wider is more forgiving.

Hi Lee,
Thanks for this. May i ask, what do i do about the camera taking the pics, is it set by the msm?

Back