Mujahedin

Arkady

Suspended / Banned
Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
Found this guy lurking with intent, so took his photo to avoid getting robbed and shot. Turned out to be a really nice guy.

DMOCJMOT1060020070198E.jpg

My sentiments exactly, wouldnt have been pleasant if he wasnt.

just as a matter of interest, how do you judge whether or not it's safe to approach some of these guys; the area you're in, their attitude, how many of you there are? Presumably the first rule is safety first but it must be difficult to assess?

I find it amazing that you get pictures like this when you obviously don't want to spend too much time . . .just in case.

You have to understand the culture (the Americans miss this point almost everywhere they go...).
Every man in Afghanistan has a gun (esp. in the boonies).
If a man does not own a gun, he's not a real man. The fact that I also have a gun (9mm Browning, good up to 75m in the hands of a marksman, which I happily am) means to them I also am a real man...
Lots of smiles and handshaking goes on, after which we get on with the job. Most of the time these guys are as fascinated by us as we are by them.

I would generally say that if someone was actually shooting at me, I'd be unlikely to ask them to pose, but everyone else would be fair game. If you don't ask - you don't get.
"We're rumbled...Brass it out Danny Boy, ramrods up the jackseys... lef' right, lef' right..."

The 9mm Browning took me back a bit - having to strip it down and re-assemble. Beat most at flip up targets but only average at static. Fortunately never had to use it in anger. Time of closing down Aden.

Mine is a year older than I am (43) - that said, it was brand new when it was issued to me 18 months ago. Still had sharp edges inside and the maker's grease in the rifling. A bit battered now though. And I've only had to 'wave' it someone once so far...

Back