Multi-Exposure

You can take multi exposures of the same shot but exposing them for different parts of the scene and combine them in post-processing. I combined 4 shots of one photo using layer masks and got a pretty decent result. Ypu can also use the 'Merge HDR' function in CS2 to combine multiple images of the same scene with different exposure settings.

If you mean the multi exposure as in the film days when you could re-set the shutter without advanceing the film and take a second shot on the same frame then the simple answer is no. I have never heard of any digital camera being able to recreate this on only one image.

I would never have bought a camera in the film days unless it had multi exposure capabilty. It was just a means of re-cocking the shutter without winding on, and you could do this indefinitely for multi exposure shots. It was a real hit and miss affair and you never really knew what you'd got till you got in the darlroom, and then it always needed lots of tricks and tedious manipulation to produce anything worthwhile.

This was all pre-digital and Photoshop et al though. The function is somehat obsolete now, anything you want to do now can be done better and easier in Photoshop. ;)

If you mean the multi exposure as in the film days when you could re-set the shutter without advanceing the film and take a second shot on the same frame then the simple answer is no. I have never heard of any digital camera being able to recreate this on only one image.

That was how he put it, the D2X can do this he had a really nice image with it, seems like a really good thing to know how to do.

seems like a really good thing to know how to do

It is and you still can even if your camera wont put all the images together in the body.

Like CT I've shot and printed quite a few of these little devils and they can easily be as frustrating as they can rewarding. Getting the exposures absolutley right with the film version can be critcal and as the film responds slightly diferently with each added exposure you never quite know what you're getting, even with the best metering control.

Combining exposures the PS way is indeed way more relialbe, quicker and is more likely to provide a seemless result. Even if your camera wont do it, the concept of adding seperate shots onto a photoshop canvass is exactly the same as multiple exposures onto a peice of film.

Back