Multi lens trials.

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a free afternoon, with half tidy light in garden, so decided to do a little lens comparison. All imaged are stacked, using my ?Fuji XT3 with 18-55mm Fuji Lens, Samyang 100mm macro lens, Nikon 50mm f1.8 with Nikon to XT adapter and finally Nikon 50mm plus Raynox 250. I finally cropped all the images to a similar size to compare for sharpness. All lenses were set at manual focus.

Nikon Plus 2020-12-28 16-04-50 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4) by Andrew Wright, on Flickr

XT 2020-12-28 16-35-54 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4) by Andrew Wright, on Flickr

Nikon 50mm 2020-12-28 16-39-45 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4) by Andrew Wright, on Flickr

Samyang 2020-12-28 16-33-55 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4) by Andrew Wright, on Flickr

Crop Nikon Plus Raynox 2020-12-28 16-04-50 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4) by Andrew Wright, on Flickr

Crop XT 2020-12-28 16-35-54 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4)
by Andrew Wright, on Flickr

Crop Samyang 100mm 2020-12-28 16-33-55 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4) by Andrew Wright, on Flickr

Last edited:
Good experiment Andrew. What is your feeling about the results? (I'm drawn towards #2, #3 and #6, although with the subject being different sizes in the frame I'm finding it difficult to make a confident comparison.)

Hi Nick,
It started off as an exercise in colour rendition between the Fuji Lens and the Nikon,. then I got carried away and decided to look at the quality of the images.
I couldn't make my mind up between the Fuji and the Nikon lens, then I put the Raynox lens into the equation, and finished off with the Samyang 100mm, which is my go to macro lens.
I ended up with not a big preference on the macro shots, which were all focused using the fuji peak focus system, the crops with the shorter focal length lenses were cropped so much I was impressed with the quality afterwards, if I had to choose I would take the macro shot taken with the Samyang if I was choosing on macro capabilities, but as an image with colour rendition as the marker, I would struggle to choose between the fuji 18-55 and the Nikon. I should have put my fuji 23mm f2 into the equation as well, but I didn't really start off with that in mind, just wanted to compare the fuji and the Nikon at or near to 50mm.
Overall it was a good exercise to show that it didn't matter if I got caught short without a certain lens, you can try to make what you have "fit". Bit like wanting a very wide lens for panoramas or landscapes, but with time you can stitch 4 or 6 images together, and also get a passable to very good image.
It passed an afternoon out in the dry (and cold) after being shut in for a few days. Will see what tomorrow brings after work.

Back