Multi purpose lens on a tight budget

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a d3000 and d50 body.
Lens wise I have a 50mm 18-55 and 55-200 Nikor and a Tamron 70-300 with macro switch and a dedicated macro lens.

I also for my sins have 3 children 6 and under, we are About to go to France and I am finding my kit hard to manage now my baby is toddling - so I'd like a cheap and cheerful lens that covers maybe 18-400 so I can just take that and the 50mm (and maybe my macro lol)

Does such a thing exist? The D50 is has a motor in the body the d3000 doesn't.

Budget is tight,

I tend not to spend much because my stuff gets stashed with the children on beach etc

I've been trying to find you on facebook

No no just to generally chat haven't seen you for ages - am green with envy over the Iceland photos and want one of them printed if you order some - you've made me want to go minus the small creatures and there was a great deal on travel zoo

I can't find many reviews on the eBay one. Us I'm tempted at £100 to give it a try I'm worried about lack of Vc

Hi there. Tbh, for a trip to somewhere like France i would be wanting something a lot wider than 28mm but it depends what you're interested in shooting. Maybe you just need a better way of transporting things and have the two most likely lenses you'll use attached to your cameras especially if going to the beach etc as that has sand on sensor wrote all over it! :eek:

A superzoom like the Tamron 18-270 would be a good option, but they're twice the price of the one you posted. Tamron's VC is absolutely amazing and wouldn't be without it on my 70-300.

This is clearly a dumb question but why is 18-270 super soom and 28-300 not, I think I'm missing something

Yay to sand on sensor it's why I don't have expensive kit (or one of reasons) I figure when they are older I'll get better equipment but for now cheap and cheerful suits.

This is clearly a dumb question but why is 18-270 super soom and 28-300 not, I think I'm missing something
Super zoom is a term that doesn't have a strict definition for me both those lenses are super zooms!

You have crop bodies so an all purpose lens needs to start around 18mm a 28mm on a crop body isn't wide enough to be called all purpose.

Sigma and tamron have been making various lenses of this type for ages all of which are very reasonable. Get one with stabilisation!

Super zoom is a term that doesn't have a strict definition for me both those lenses are super zooms!

You have crop bodies so an all purpose lens needs to start around 18mm a 28mm on a crop body isn't wide enough to be called all purpose.

Sigma and tamron have been making various lenses of this type for ages all of which are very reasonable. Get one with stabilisation!
Thanks yes either of those lengths will do for me I think so it's down to finding one at the right price now - pointless paying a lot as they don't last here

Haha Andy

Tamron are expected to release a new 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD (Model B016) in the next couple of weeks. (possibly not within your price range though?)

No need cheap and cheerful - one day when they are bigger I'll get good kit.

I usually have 2 bodies and lens but it's awkward at the moment

Nikon 18-105? Not quite the range you were looking for, but still a good general purpose walk about lens. Plus its cheap and top quality for its price.

I need something with more range - I tend to use 18-55 or 70-300, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get the one mentioned up thread

Back