Multi Row Panoramic Tip Advice

Edit My Images
Yes
I've done single row panoramic previously but am looking to attempt a multi row shot. The question from those experienced with these;
Is it easier to do one complete row and then go back to do the next row or do the shots in columns before moving across

6 & 2x3 IMO! I've had equal success with both, albeit in relatively limited form (3x3 shots with a standard [50mm for me on FF] lens).

Make sure the light doesn't change and shoot fairly quickly in manual mode (you'll probably want to teach Granny to suck eggs too... ;) )

I'm a total novice at this so may have done it wrong so to speak, but a few months ago I did a panoramic shot of a local pond with the Milky Way above it & as I have a 17-50mm lens of a crop sensor body I just couldn't get what I wanted in a single shot or a normal panoramic shot so my way around it was to turn my camera into portrait position & took my foreground shots from left to right, then adjusted the angle to capture a mix of mid ground & sky & took my shots from right to left & finally adjusted the angle of the camera again to capture mainly the sky & worked from left to right & used PS to place the images after I had checked the white balance & tint of each shot was the same & I was quite pleased with the outcome

I do these quite a bit. I make sure I lock my exposure so I have time to take the images and the exposure to stay the same. I usually work my way left to right by going tip left then move down then move down again. Then move back to the top beside the first shot and overlap it by 50ish % and work my way down again. Last one I did was 20 images. I like to do it Thai way as when I’m doing a row I always end up having to crop the image tighter than I would like. This way I have plenty of what I need in the shot.

It really does not make any real difference. But it is generally far easier to do them in rows but all in the same direction.
If you are using a dedicated Pano bracket that is the only practical way.
I would do the middle row first then the close row followed by the sky row.

If you are doing them with moving objects in the scene, or where close objects cut into another row, try to ensure that you do not shoot the same object twice as it moves or have it fall on an overlap.
If you shoot in portrait mode you probably have no need for more than two rows.

This is a simple pan, were it in two rows you would shoot the bottom row with people first. then the sky row.
It would be best to shoot two or three images as a burst in each position that contained moving objects, to give you alternative options, or to clone.TA3X3284C-TA3X3285C web.jpg

Thanks everyone for all your replies. Always good to get real world experiences

Back