Multiple Camera Workflow

Name
James
Edit My Images
No
Hi All

Firstly allow me to introduce myself (im new here incase you hadnt guessed) My name is James.

Secondly I have a question that has been bothering me for a while now.

When i shoot with two cameras, so one with a 24-105 lens and one with a 10-14 for instance, then I come to processing the shots, I upload them to my mac for process through capture one. My problem is this, if ive shot a wedding I need all the shots to be in order (to tell the story of the day), however when I upload the shots from the wide angled lens camera the numbers are all out of sync with the card from the 24-105mm lensed camera. This then mean I have to re name them so they fit into the sequence of the other card (24-105) rather than at the end (or beginning!)

Is there anyway to make both cards start from the same number so when I throw all the shots from both cards into one folder they will be in order. I understand it may ask if I want to over write but I can always click keep both and it should add a 2 to the end of the file from the wide angled lens camera.

Im really sorry if I havnt explained this very well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

James

Sync the dates on the camera and sort by date in Post Processing?
Simples?
Or have I got confused?

If I understand your needs right one solution would be to.

Place files from both cameras into a unique directory on your hard drive. Go into Windows Explorer and sort all files in this new directory into date and time order. Select all, highlight the first file and select rename. Then give this file a new name (e.g the name of the couple or the venue). Windows will then rename all files highlighted to this new name incrementing the file number in sequence. You now have the files all in strict time and date order. I hope I have explained that clearly.

Now to the post processing!

Place files from both cameras into a unique directory on your hard drive. Go into Windows Explorer and sort all files in this new directory into date and time order. Select all, highlight the first file and select rename. Then give this file a new name (e.g the name of the couple or the venue). Windows will then rename all files highlighted to this new name incrementing the file number in sequence. You now have the files all in strict time and date order. I hope I have explained that clearly.

Blimey, all the years I have been using Windows and I never knew that! Thank you, Grumps, you have just saved me a vast amount of time as I rename all my files, currently individually.

SO pleased I glanced at this thread, and apologies for hijacking it, James.

Never thought of doing it in Windows - bloody simple

Still have to sync times on the cameras mind ;)

As Brian said above that will work as long as the cameras are in sync timewise. Make sure the cameras are bloody close too or it'll be a pain in the posterior.

Does that technique work in OSX? (assuming thats what James is using on his Mac) :)

Sync the dates on the camera and sort by date in Post Processing?
Simples?
Or have I got confused?

No I think you're spot on. I fact LR has an option to do just this? Not sure about capture 1

Your cameras need syncing on the morning of the event, they drift more dramatically than you'd think.

But I can't believe you never found the batch rename function (Bridge / Lightroom / everything else)

BTW if your cameras aren't synced, you can also batch shift the shooting time with a variety of applications too (but it's a PITA and much easier to sync cameras)

Does that technique work in OSX? (assuming thats what James is using on his Mac) :)
Yep, well it does in OSX10.10 - possibly earlier OSXs as well but I've always used other software for this job and consequently never looked before.

Select a bunch of files, cmd-click (or right-click, whichever floats your boat) and select the cunningly named "Rename n Items..." (where n=the number of files selected), you're then presented with a box to format your desired naming convention (find, replace, rename with date, time, sequence etc etc etc.).

HTH

BTW if your cameras aren't synced, you can also batch shift the shooting time with a variety of applications too (but it's a PITA and much easier to sync cameras)
Batch shifting the timestamps isn't hard. Some programs even allow you to change the timestamps in RAW files.

But yes, syncing the cameras before you start is easier.

Back