Multiple cameras (with different frame rates)

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon All,

I've been asked a few times to do some video work for clients so I've decided to dip my toe in the water with a few new gadgets and do some personal video work to give me a bit more of an understanding before I think about doing it for clients.

The cameras that I'll be shooting on are my work DSLR, RX100v, GoPro and Mavic Pro. The thing I'm not sure on is frame rates across different cameras. I was planning to shoot mostly at 24fps and 60fps for slow motion but some of these, like the RX100, doesn't shoot 24fps (unless I change it to PAL).

How do I get round that? Does it even matter?

I'll be editing in Da Vinci Resolve.

I would have thought frame rates shouldn't be a major problem in Resolve. You specify the the project frame rate at the start in the Project Manager window and the software should then conform to the required rate when it's output. The only difficulty is if you specify a frame rate higher than that the original material . but " down scaling " shouldn't be a problem . I've shot different frame rates and edited in FCPX without any problems. I tend to use resolve a a colour correction module round tripping from FCPX . If the Apple software can handle different frame rates then I'm sure the Black Magic software can

I'm glad a came upon this thread as I was also wondering about this. Not so much from a professional point of view but we are about to go on holiday to the USA and I am wondering if I should be shooting in PAL or NTSC? My go pro is set to one and my DSLR is currently set to the other. Should I be setting them to the same region? Does it really matter? I only noticed the difference after reading up on what FPS to shoot in and noticed that lots of people are saying to shoot 60fps. On checking my 80d only has option for 50fps unless I change the region. Basically I would like to know if
1) should all my cameras be set to the same region? And what difference will it make if not?
2) Is one region any better than the other? I will be shooting in the USA and editing in the UK.
3) If using the settings that's the 80d is currently set to (sorry i can't remember which region is which as i don't have the camera at hand at the moment) is the 50fps any good for slow motion?

Thanks
Matt

Afternoon All,

I've been asked a few times to do some video work for clients so I've decided to dip my toe in the water with a few new gadgets and do some personal video work to give me a bit more of an understanding before I think about doing it for clients.

The cameras that I'll be shooting on are my work DSLR, RX100v, GoPro and Mavic Pro. The thing I'm not sure on is frame rates across different cameras. I was planning to shoot mostly at 24fps and 60fps for slow motion but some of these, like the RX100, doesn't shoot 24fps (unless I change it to PAL).

How do I get round that? Does it even matter?

I'll be editing in Da Vinci Resolve.

What format and frame rate will you have to deliver in? That may help your decision.

I'm glad a came upon this thread as I was also wondering about this. Not so much from a professional point of view but we are about to go on holiday to the USA and I am wondering if I should be shooting in PAL or NTSC? My go pro is set to one and my DSLR is currently set to the other. Should I be setting them to the same region? Does it really matter? I only noticed the difference after reading up on what FPS to shoot in and noticed that lots of people are saying to shoot 60fps. On checking my 80d only has option for 50fps unless I change the region. Basically I would like to know if
1) should all my cameras be set to the same region? And what difference will it make if not?
2) Is one region any better than the other? I will be shooting in the USA and editing in the UK.
3) If using the settings that's the 80d is currently set to (sorry i can't remember which region is which as i don't have the camera at hand at the moment) is the 50fps any good for slow motion?

Thanks
Matt

Mixing different systems is not a good idea. PAL and NTSC are two different transmission systems and have different requirements. Stick to either NTSC or PAL don't mix. Scan systems and colour encoding are different so one or the other. 50/60 fps is OK for slow mo (ish) . You wont get the really slow mo you normally see , you'll probably need 120 or higher fps for that. You need to try it out and see if its OK. If you camera is a UK sourced model the you'll be shooting either 24 or 50 fps if my 6D is anything to go by.

No modern digital video camera does PAL or NTSC - they're analogue standards from the early 60s.

Sometimes PAL is used to mean 50 Hz and NTSC 60 Hz but the cameras do not shoot those systems.

Converting from 50 to 60 or vice versa is difficult and expensive to do properly. Even then, there'll be some clip that confuses the frame interpolator.

Personally, if I don't have a specific deliverable, I'd choose the one that matches the mains frequency in the shooting location to prevent mains lighting ripple in the video.

Back