Mupe bay, Kimmeridge bay

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

yesterday I have been around the Jurassic coast to study the coastal zone that is supposed to be one of the best for long exposure sea shots.

I have been disappointed a little.

Let's start from Kimmeridge Bay...I was after something like this:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=375044

however I could not find anything that looked like this, so I suppose that these rocks emerge only during low tides. Am I right?

I did not understand how to get to mupe bay instead, since apparently that zone is all military zone. Is it possible to get there only by foot? Even so, is it actually possible to get there without being shot (and I talk about guns, not cameras)?

Anyway it seems to me that the best period to take pics there is around October, would you confirm this? Are there other zones, beside Lulworth, that I should take in consideration?

OS Outdoor Leisure map #15 will show you the footpaths and car parks.

Yes, the rocks tend to be revealed as the tide goes out.

There should be notices posted to tell you when there's firing on the ranges. The notices are also usually printed in the local papers IIRC. Tourist information could be a useful source of info too.

Durdle Door isn't too far away from Lulworth - have a look at the photos on Flickr (there's probably a group or 2) and Google Earth to see when's the best time of year to get a sunrise through the arch (and get there early to get a good spot for the shot...)

Looking suspiciously like the same set of rocks - SNAP :D
20101010-184919-IMG_6901-S.jpg

I know what you mean about Kimmeridge - there's compositionally nothing that leaps out, but at the same time it's a vast overwhelming set of opportunities - you just gotta keep hunting.
Maybe try concentrating on a small bit - works for me...

Also - if you have a shot in mind, that's a great motivation to visit a location.
But the odds of the light and other factors being just right means you will almost always be disappointed.
If I see a shot that inspires me then I'll use it as a guide that a location has potential, then I'll go an hunt for my own image. Sometimes I end up taking the same as everyone else (as above), but it's fairly accidental!

For example, here's another Kimmeridge shot I love - it was part of my ARPS panel.
Nothing even remotely similar to the earlier shot!
20101010-180909-IMG_6825-S.jpg

OS Outdoor Leisure map #15 will show you the footpaths and car parks.

Yes, the rocks tend to be revealed as the tide goes out.

There should be notices posted to tell you when there's firing on the ranges. The notices are also usually printed in the local papers IIRC. Tourist information could be a useful source of info too.

Durdle Door isn't too far away from Lulworth - have a look at the photos on Flickr (there's probably a group or 2) and Google Earth to see when's the best time of year to get a sunrise through the arch (and get there early to get a good spot for the shot...)

I bought the map, I hope it will be a good investment. I know Durdle door very well, not easy to take a good pic of it. I was more interested in mupe bay, I will try again another time now that I know I can get there only by foot.
For kimmeridge instead I will check the tide.
In every case I think I will get there around october, when the sunset will be visible.

Hi Sebas; not to divert your query, but if that is the kind of shot you're looking for, east of St Aldhelm's Head is best. There you will find the best rocky ledges, complete with ammonite fossils. Dancing Ledge is probably the best.
Park in Worth Matravers, then walk south and east through the fields, it is a public right of way.

great! that's the kind of advices I am looking for...could you be so kind to pin a position on google map for me?

Not sure how to do that, but this should help:

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~imw/Dancing-Ledge.htm

If you drive into Worth Matravers from the north west (from Swanage direction), you will see the car park on the right just before the town. Walk down into town and look out on your left between houses for the footpath to the coast (around 1.5 miles from car park to coast).
Then a similar distance along the cliff tops east to Dancing Ledge.

Quite a walk, but I never found a more convenient parking spot than Worth Matravers.

Back