Critique Muscid Fly

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
I was quite happy with this stack, managing to get 25 images at a fairly wide aperture (F6.3 at 3X magnification). The fly barely moved, and it was quite a warm day. It seemed quite curious for a fly, who usually don't hang around if they are the least bit unsure of what is going on. I reckon my new fence makes for a nice background too :)

Muscid Fly by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

I uploaded it to flickr full size if you'd like to view it to check out those lovely textures and also scrutinize all the stacking flaws. The new flickr layout makes this a bit complicated, so here's a link!

Last edited:
Glad my wife wasn't looking over my shoulder when I opened the link. Bejesus right in your face.

How do you hold still enough for 25 shots? Also was this handheld?

Need to get out my slider to practice. With a dead bug first.

Only on phone ATM so will look at it proper on Lappy.

Ha ha! Thanks Bryn, yes handheld but I had help from the fence to stabiliise myself. I shot these holding the camera in portrait orientation, so the base is actually a vertical fence post and the shadow is from the gap between it and the next post.

As you say, it's worth practicing this and the macro rail is a good way to get the hang of it, along with the post processing to get to the final image. If you want to practice handheld stacking, I would suggest starting at a higher aperture (around 8 or 9 maybe) and work your way down to lower apertures. Which is exactly what I am doing. Not sure if I'll male it all the way F2.8 yet!

Is it a little drunk as it is listing a bit lol nice detailed shot Tim.

Well now you mention it, he does have that scruffy, hobo-like look about him ;)

Great photo and again ill say it, WOW its really really good (y)

Great image Tim amazing getting 25 in the stack I just do 2 or 3 at less than 1:1
I like the jaunty angle its different

Omg that is truly awful, in the nicest possible way of course. Full size on flickr and it's a true monster. Fantastic technique and skill Tim

Well done on getting such a detailed stack Timmy. Excellent shot(s)

Back