Mushroom railings

Forbiddenbiker

The Enforcer
Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone.

I've been spending more and more time looking around the London Docklands and have become to realise my photography is more point and shoot than thoughtful composition... im struggling.

I'm pleased with this one however, but I had a poor tripod so I only managed 1.5 sec @ f3.5 iso200, so dof is poor, I'll try weighing it down next time.

Points, tips and criticism please.
mushroomrail.jpg

large image; http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/optiflow/_DSC00233.jpg

I've never even made a shot like that so it looks fine to me. But, if anthing I'm not keen on the mushroom spoiling the reflection. I'm sure you'll get more technical critique. Well done.

Well technically its not perfectly level, you can see that in the pylons in the distance not being perfectly vertical. May not seem important but the eye is very good at detecting this.

As Stepheno said the imediate railing dosn't add but hinders the shot, but the railings to the right are very nice and were probably what you were after.

Composition wise you have to look at this shot and work out what you were trying to show, there's no obvious focal point. That's not necessarily a problem but you need stronger lines in it I think otherwise the eye will wander over the photo looking for something.

HTH :)

^^true^^

If you'd taken a couple of steps to right and lowered the tripod you would've had lines of the railings, the cobbles on the path and the windows leading off into the distance. Sometimes you don't need a point of focus if the composition is strong and dramatic.

Alternatively moving forward so you'd been in front of the bay in the railings would've meant that the view of the reflection was unobstructed and so were the railings. Hope that helps or gives you a few ideas for the future. Fortunately, it's all still there so you can go back and shoot it again if you want, and should do.

Technically, it's pretty spot on, exposure is good, you haven't blown the highlights around the lights and it looks sharp enough from where I'm sat!

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Visualising your points has really given me some clear ideas on how you would improve this shot. I can see moving to the right and forwards, passed the nearest mushroom, and down could be a better position and may also produce stronger lines... It would also expose that bollard a little more.

The pylons are a problem though, as there actually cranes and there tilted inwards towards the dock, unfortunately they do look like pylons don't they. Perhaps if they where clearer/crisper...?

Very informative thank you. I'll try again soon and post up the result.

Back