Music during shoots (Just an idea)

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
No
Has anyone tried it? I haven't had a chance to try this out, but I imagine it could really help models get into the right mood for the shoot and bring them out of themselves if they're a little shy (e.g. shooting friends). I've never really heard much about this subject but it sounds pretty interesting to me :) Of course when shooting outside, music might be a little harder to sort out, but when it's available, why not?

I often have music playing during shoots, I have the ipod crammed with a wide range of albums from nursery rhymes for toddlers to disco music for children, when doing newborns I have soft piano music playing. Letting the kids scroll through also helps to break down some barriers and you get some cracking action shots.

In my fairly limited experience of shooting with models, music is a definite yes.
Even just the radio is good. Helps everyone relax. Also Jaffa cakes.

I have a few playlists on my ipod to suit different moods/shoots, I find it can really help.

I have found it is even better if you can get your model/subject to put on music using their ipod/phone. Even if it is not my style it almost always makes them more relaxed.

The famous and late fashion photographer Richard Avedon used to make sure he knew how each model liked their tea and made sure that a cup was waiting for them as they arrived.

It's important to get the models relaxed, but I will not have model's music in my studio. I have my music in my studio, and models WILL listen to it :cool:. If they don't don't share the taste, they might take the ****, but we just joke about it for a minute, and carry on shooting :p I've never had an issue with any models ever.

If it's family portraits with little kids involved, that's different. I will make them as comfortable as possible with their kids' favourite music, or some cheesy radio channel.

Back