Music streaming services

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Following on from my Sonos thread I have now purchased a new play5 and play1's for each bedroom.
Looking at streaming services, what is recommended?
We have multiple devices within the family, all Apple but different accounts.

It's very much down to personal preferences and whatever deals are being offered. I looked at Deezer and Spotify and chose the latter as they offered a better deal at the time plus their offering was more compelling for me personally.

Look at the services being offered, streaming bit rates etc and see what works for you. Lots of choice out there in addition to the two I've mentioned.

Last edited:
I use Apple Music and pay £15 per month for up to 6 family members meaning you could purchase that and associate all of you different family accounts so everyone can stream unlimited music.

Thanks for replies. I have previously only used Spotify (old free one). I think this requires a different account for each family member though, therefore apple music family one sounds interesting.
With regards bitrates, can the Sonos really show a noticable difference between normal bit rates and lossless etc ?
Our broadband is not the fastest either so I need to watch that if trying to stream high bit rates.

I have a Spotify account for myself & my wife which we love. Really easy to create and share playlists, always up to date with new music and has a great interface.
I think we pay £10 per month for the service, no complaints.

We use primarily Apple Music as it just easily integrates with everything and is pretty good value for the whole family.

And then Amazon Prime also allows for music sharing. We mainly use that for the few android devices. It's a freebie and as they it's ok. Prefer Apple Music.

Too much choice in this modern world, it is I bit scary! Going to flick through my cupboard off vinyl to console myself!
Thinking first step is to try and get a normal bit rate and lossless version and see the difference.
Am I right in thinking Apple Music is not supported by Sonos?

Just so you are aware - if you have a Vodafone account and are renewing a contract or taking out a new one, they often do deals on a Spotify account. If you are with 3 (three) then they are offering 6 months of Deezer Premium free of charge.

Last edited:
Wait - WHAT?????

They said by the end of the year - but literally nobody believed them! Hey @andyscott - you heard this?

That's the only thing that would make me switch from Spotify. (Apart from the Prince albums on Tidal, obvs).

you made me doubt myself so off I goes and....

Learn how to join the beta
The beta of Apple Music on Sonos is coming 15th December. And you can sign up now.

Just know–beta isn’t the final product. It’s a preview. A really solid one. Most features are working perfectly, a few are still being dialed in. And with your input, we’ll keep improving on it–making slight changes here and there–while you’re testing it out.

We’d love for you to help us make this great. But if you’d rather sit tight until the final version is ready, we understand. We’ll have that for you early next year.

How to join the beta program:
  1. Open the Sonos app
  2. Tap “Settings” then “Advanced Settings”
  3. Tap “Beta Program”
  4. Tap “Join the Beta Program”
After you’ve joined the beta, you’ll be prompted to update on 15th December when Apple Music is available.

Wait - WHAT?????

They said by the end of the year - but literally nobody believed them! Hey @andyscott - you heard this?

That's the only thing that would make me switch from Spotify. (Apart from the Prince albums on Tidal, obvs).
I was just giving them till next week :)

This may make me stick with them.

@JonathanRyan I am surprised Ty hasnt been mentioning it.

I'm going to guess he can't take the grief from people pointing out it's a beta......

Thinking about it, I won't be using it this year. IIRC I get 30 days free trial once only. And I don't want to waste that on a beta.

Did I mention how cool Spotify is?

I'm going to guess he can't take the grief from people pointing out it's a beta......

Thinking about it, I won't be using it this year. IIRC I get 30 days free trial once only. And I don't want to waste that on a beta.

Did I mention how cool Spotify is?

Yes but its more expensive by a margin for three or 4 users.

Spotify premium is great. Tenner a month and you get to download 3000 songs to play offline which comes in handy as my commute is on the underground railroad.

If my arithmetic is correct Spotify premium for three of us is £20 and Apple is £25 but for 6.
Save the £5 or be really nice to three family members [emoji48][emoji56]

I'm a total Spotify convert for all of my listen on the go. I 'liked' Apple Music, but it was instantly apparent that it streamed at a less bit-rate that Spotify Premium does. So much so that the day the beta came out, me and a friend downloaded it instantly, and within 20 min of playing around with it, he called me saying 'Is it me or does whatever Apple Music is streaming sound terrible?!'.

Spotify is worth every penny.

But i'm still not convinced and down with the whole DSD vs PCM thing. Maybe thats because I spend a last proportion of my time recording music, and recording DSD is basically a no-go :)

I just received an email from Sonos asking if I want to join the Apple Music beta testing.

Is it worth it? I'm more than happy with Spotify Premium. I have an iTunes account and several gigs of music on my iPod but can't say that any of it isn't available either from my music library or on Spotify.

Last edited:
I have just took up a 3 months for 99p offer on Deezer so I have that too now.. Deezer has more tracks than Spotify but I does love my Spotify... will see how it goes.. one plus is that Deezer is built into my LG Music Flow app where I control all my speakers which is a bonus... its not really a problem with Spotify but Deezer saves a couple of screen presses compared.

I've used deezer for a year now, the last 6 months with a sonos play 1.
I've never had any issues with deezer and always worked well and had all the tracks I looked for.
We tried Amazon prime for a short period but their lack of music meant we dismissed it very quickly.
My wife, being a student has taken advantage of the Spotify student deal. We both have this on our phones and linked to the sonos. We can't use them independently but in truth this rarely happens so it works well for us. In the short time we've had Spotify we have had a phone playing and sonos but one cuts out which is what I would expect with s single account however, deezer seems to be less restrictive as we rarely had this in the year we had it. Time will tell.
Both Spotify and deezer are impressive and I can't fault either.
I am considering an apple shared service and splitting the cost across a few of us as £15 seems like a decent price for a family shared service

Hasn't he blocked all his music from all streaming services?
He does the same for any of his music, videos etc across all media sites and Has for years.

He's on Tidal. Apparently that's the only one that gives enough money back to grass roots music artists. Like Jay-Z.

I just received an email from Sonos asking if I want to join the Apple Music beta testing.

Is it worth it? I'm more than happy with Spotify Premium. I have an iTunes account and several gigs of music on my iPod but can't say that any of it isn't available either from my music library or on Spotify.
I got the email too but having tried to join it appears it is only available in the USA

Both Spotify and deezer are impressive and I can't fault either.
I like both but after an upgrade Deezer wouldn't work properly through BMW connected drive so I went back to Spotify. Tried Deezer Elite through Sonos and it was good but listen to most music in the car.

I like both but after an upgrade Deezer wouldn't work properly through BMW connected drive so I went back to Spotify. Tried Deezer Elite through Sonos and it was good but listen to most music in the car.
Did you find a noticeable difference between Elite and premium?

I've used Spotify and think it is very good.

I've just signed up for the Apple Music beta on Sonos so will see what that is like.

I've used Spotify and think it is very good.

I've just signed up for the Apple Music beta on Sonos so will see what that is like.
I got the email but when I click on add music services Apple Music isn't there- read somewhere else it was only available in the states

edit- Sonus just upgraded and Apple Music has appeared

Last edited:
I got the email but when I click on add music services Apple Music isn't there- read somewhere else it was only available in the states

edit- Sonus just upgraded and Apple Music has appeared

I thought the same Craig and then Sonos wouldn't update for some reason but now sorted :)

I'm a total Spotify convert for all of my listen on the go. I 'liked' Apple Music, but it was instantly apparent that it streamed at a less bit-rate that Spotify Premium does. So much so that the day the beta came out, me and a friend downloaded it instantly, and within 20 min of playing around with it, he called me saying 'Is it me or does whatever Apple Music is streaming sound terrible?!'.

Spotify is worth every penny.

But i'm still not convinced and down with the whole DSD vs PCM thing. Maybe thats because I spend a last proportion of my time recording music, and recording DSD is basically a no-go :)
You can tell the difference between 256k and 320k if there is a difference its very slight

No axe to grind here btw, I have amazon prime so use their free music but if I were to pay for one it would be Spotify because I can get it for a fiver :)

Thanks for replies. I have previously only used Spotify (old free one). I think this requires a different account for each family member though, therefore apple music family one sounds interesting.
With regards bitrates, can the Sonos really show a noticable difference between normal bit rates and lossless etc ?
Our broadband is not the fastest either so I need to watch that if trying to stream high bit rates.

I've been using Spotify premium for a couple of years now ,pay 9.99/month and four family members use it on one account . ;)

Back