Music video shot entirely at 10fps on Canon 1d Mk3

Video is pretty choppy to be fair - and a good way to take 2000 shutters out the life of the camera I guess :(

Video is pretty choppy to be fair - and a good way to take 2000 shutters out the life of the camera I guess :(

16000 apparently, and that's just the cut video that has that many shots in it; who knows how many before it was cut.

I do like the video though and the look, I think the 10fps works well and don't feel like it's compromising the quality of the vid.

I like the style alot...

I think I would say that it's trying a new idea, rather than just doing it becuase they ran out of ideas...it's quite different!

I really am suprised at some of the comments here.... is it just me that thinks it would take a huge amount of talent, creativity and planning to create something so well polished and directed when you only have still images to work with?

If people are unimpressed by that, my future in photography is screwed!

Seen a few like this before, one was a home video type with music.

Blown away by it then as now with this.

Steve

That is bloody amazing, pause the video at random places and there are some really really good stills that any photographer would be proud of. brilliant concept!!!

Ps how would you replicate that kind of effect in normal photography?

Could you not just take a very good quality film and drop every other frame or something to get the same effect?

I think 'choppy' was their intention and I'm sure they had much superior equipment at their disposal...hell, a 5d could produce 'superior' results, but I think they achieved what they set out to achieve.

Could you not just take a very good quality film and drop every other frame or something to get the same effect?

Why climb a mountain when you can just get dropped off at the top from a helicopter? Answers here:.............................................................. :LOL:

Why climb a mountain when you can just get dropped off at the top from a helicopter? Answers here:.............................................................. :LOL:

Well you don't get nice scenery and wildlife in a helicopter, but I don't see what you are gaining here compared to a HD video camera with dropped frames. Good effect - am not knocking that, am just bemused at the way it was achieved.

am just bemused at the way it was achieved.

One reason I can see is the superior collection of lenses they may already own compared to a standard lens on the low end HD video camera. I'm no expert but I think a normal video camera would not have been able to produce some of the macro shots.

While we are on the subject.... came across this video a few months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX3cmrCWAnM

Not as advanced as the 10fps song, but sort of similar. Now all i got to do is get the song out my head!

I really am suprised at some of the comments here.... is it just me that thinks it would take a huge amount of talent, creativity and planning to create something so well polished and directed when you only have still images to work with?

Huge amount of talent? Creativity? Planning? with only stills?

Sorry mate, but no not really.

The video may be very good (i turned it off at the close ups of the tarantula, not a fan tbh :p) but if you think about it logically, why is it any different to a video shot at 24fps?

It might be a fantastic video, but the technicalities of it aren't anything to rant and rave about.
It's no different, whatsoever, to shooting a video on a regular video camera and only keep 1/3 of the frames.

Perhaps some of the shots may not have been able to be created without slr related items - i.e. macro lens, 10fps strobe etc.
However then thinking about it that way he is making life easier for himself. Using a professional level video camera may have proven more difficult.

Here is Richard Pattersons'website (The Director)

If Syl Arena, respected strobist and instructor is to be taken seriously, video is something we had better get interested in!
Read his blog article here

I posted the 'video' for it's novelty factor and agree there are more efficient ways of achieving the same effect, without putting your camera in the Canon repair centre every couple of months for a new shutter ;)

If Syl Arena, respected strobist and instructor is to be taken seriously, video is something we had better get interested in!
Read his blog article here

Cool article but I tend to disagree hugely. It's not like video is some new thing, I was editing video footage LONG before venturing into photography, as soon as I can afford an SLR with video I'll probably go back into it (though the only good thing I did was a replica of that HP printer advert in After Effects). Heck, video was on mobile phones before us SLR users got it. There will always be a place for still images, just maybe less so on a commercial side, though I gotta admit I'd love photos to be like Harry Potter with just a bit of movement but not enough to detract from the image :).

Thats really impressive, I love the effects that you get in the water etc where it has frozen the motion. Bravo, a hell of a lot of work but worth it I think.

That's exactly what I thought. I could totally see the effort that went into doing this....then when I saw the behind the scenes video I mutiplied that effort by 10 again. The track is not my thing but is actually quite good. Love the part where he is in the tub with water. That video is incredible.

It's good. Not something I'd ever have thought of doing in a million years, but nevertheless it's quite special.

agreed i thought it was inventive

but then we are nikon men :cool:

wonder how a d300s video would compare

That's exactly what I thought. I could totally see the effort that went into doing this....then when I saw the behind the scenes video I mutiplied that effort by 10 again. The track is not my thing but is actually quite good. Love the part where he is in the tub with water. That video is incredible.

IMO the video is brilliant. The creativity and effort is something else. I'm currently working on a stills video project and the workflow is heavy going. Its not just a case of stitching images, but working with hundreds or in this case thousands of timelines with audio and video.
Huge amount of talent? Creativity? Planning? with only stills?

Sorry mate, but no not really.

The video may be very good (i turned it off at the close ups of the tarantula, not a fan tbh ) but if you think about it logically, why is it any different to a video shot at 24fps?

It might be a fantastic video, but the technicalities of it aren't anything to rant and rave about.
It's no different, whatsoever, to shooting a video on a regular video camera and only keep 1/3 of the frames.

Perhaps some of the shots may not have been able to be created without slr related items - i.e. macro lens, 10fps strobe etc.
However then thinking about it that way he is making life easier for himself. Using a professional level video camera may have proven more difficult.

Having also used a professional video camera, imo the video camera is the easy option! :|

Very good, but that choppiness wouldn't work with every video...IMO

Back