Critique My 10 day old Daughter

Edit My Images
No
Hello all,

I don't normally post a lot so be gentle. My daughter arrived 11 days ago and I finally got chance to take a couple of pics yesterday whilst she was in her cot. Having never photographed a baby so I'm after pointers and advice really and any useful websites to look at. Below hopfully should be some pictures from my Flickr page. I've had a play in Lightroom and as for the set up the shots were through the bars of the cot with natural light from a window on the right and a 5:1 silver reflector to the left. The kit i used was a 6D with a 50mm 1.4f on a tripod with a remote.

IMG_5388271216.jpg by Ian Tyler, on Flickr
IMG_5401.jpg by Ian Tyler, on FlickrIMG_5403.jpg by Ian Tyler, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Ian

Congrats on the safe arrival and the capture of your daughter, first of many many shots to come. It's a nice start to her modelling career :)

Angelic mate. There no way I'm going to crit your images, no matter what's said they are priceless to you. Newborn is a lot harder than it looks, spoken as someone whe tried and failed with my new grandson.

Congratulations mate.

If I were you I'd look up lifestyle newborn shoots to get some ideas. There's some really amazing stuff out there that isn't too difficult to recreate. I'd also watch out for skin tones - thats the hardest part of shooting newborns IMO. I'd also watch your white balance as it's totally different in the first.

I'd also use the watermark as I find it quite distracting and it would take me a few seconds to remove.

Thanks for the comments, I feel all the kit I've brought over the years will now get used alot more. :).

Uaeexile - yer the first one was adjusted in ps raw as I had a issue importing into lightroom. But I found it not to be as intuitive as lightroom so after messing around I got lightroom to play ball eventually.

Skin tones seems to be what I need to look at. YouTube will be my friend over the coming months getting ideas.

Thanks for the comments, I feel all the kit I've brought over the years will now get used alot more. :).

Uaeexile - yer the first one was adjusted in ps raw as I had a issue importing into lightroom. But I found it not to be as intuitive as lightroom so after messing around I got lightroom to play ball eventually.

Skin tones seems to be what I need to look at. YouTube will be my friend over the coming months getting ideas.
YouTube is such a good resource. You can literally learn anything from the tutorial videos on there.

Looking forward to seeing more.

The posing of babies seems to be a very strange art these days, involving various containers and the obligatory head band.
To your credit you have not used either of these strange conventions.
However these are not the best shots I have seen taken through the bars of a cot.
In future years, mother and baby daughter shots are probably the most evocative and cherished.

Keep taking shots ... some will be memorable......

Back