My 10k training. From an unfit 19stone, to a 10k run in 8 months.....

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
First 'run' tonight.
Not much (just under 2k), interspersed with running and active recovery. Naturally being so short it didn't take long, but it was enough.
Came home all hot, sweaty and full of endorphines :D

I'm easing myself in gently and properly with a plan from myasics.co.uk
Back out again tomorrow night!

Im going to get an armband for my iphone tomorrow, and need to get some new trainers too.
Can anyone recommend either?
I'm going to use this thread as some sort of blog.
I'm also going to do a Self Portrait blog update type thing. Kinda like a 52. One a week.

Will upload the first shot in a mo :)

I have done the Manchester 10k and the Sheffield 10k this year. I bought the belkin armband.
Works well but needs to be tight if ontop of any clothing.

As for trainers, I have Nike+ which you can actually put the Nike/apple ipod gizzmo in to track progress.

Depending on where you are in Manchester (I am Bolton) then get yourself to Foottraffic on Blackburn Road, Bolton. They stick you on a treadmill, film you run then work out the best trainers for you, depending on how your legs/foot press is when you hit the ground.

Hope that helps!

awesome!!!!! good luck mate, go to the apple shop for an armband, they'll sort you out, and as for trainers, theres a shop called sweatshop, on the main drag in hyde, theres a pay and display round the back, and they'll look after you properly, get you on the rolling road and look at your gait, theyre good guys who all love running, not salesmen.

and in other news, was it you in liverpool on friday? I thought i saw you, but wasnt sure so i didnt speak up.

Out again tomorrow? Is that what the plan says, id have though a day recovery is in order. It takes upto 48hr for Delayed Muscle Sorness Syndrome to appear.

Iphone no idea, havent got one.

Trainers i have been using Asics for runners for years, they make different shoes depending on your gait, unlike many other generally brands. Really need to find out what your gait is, i.e if your foot rotates out or in. Better explained here
http://www.nbwebexpress.com/achieve_more/running_gait.asp

@russdaz, I disagree, I run Mon-Fri between 6-10km. I rest weekend. I also teach and train Muay Thai 3-4 per week. I do ok lol

I am running a mile every other day, i'm 19 stone though and its killing me :D

First one was 18 minutes with lots of walking, very now between 12-13 minutes. running in cheap trainers from the states though, shins are killing me on and off!

Respect to anyone that can hit a 10k run, would like to myself at some point but at the moment its more fitness and weight loss!

As for trainers, i've been advised 2 options:

1) Pro running shop, they will fit trainers to you.

2) there are some none trainers out there, they are kind of like running in a rubber sock so its like bare foot. Supposed to be very good.

And brooksy, when I get my weight down I'm coming for a visit for some muay thai lessons :p I'll add it to the capoeira and krav maga :D

EDIT: OP, if you have an Iphone see if there is an app called mytracks. not sure if its out on Iphone but i use it on my google phone. It tracks your run, speed, distance etc and plots it onto a google map. You can upload to google docs and keep detailed info on your runs.

Last edited:
I am running a mile every other day, i'm 19 stone though and its killing me :D

First one was 18 minutes with lots of walking, very now between 12-13 minutes. running in cheap trainers from the states though, shins are killing me on and off!

Respect to anyone that can hit a 10k run, would like to myself at some point but at the moment its more fitness and weight loss!

it does hurt to begin with, but it gets better. get yourself some decent trainers though, cheap ones will do you more harm than good!

@russdaz, I disagree, I run Mon-Fri between 6-10km. I rest weekend. I also teach and train Muay Thai 3-4 per week. I do ok lol

Thats fine after some training, but not striaght of for someone how hasnt trained for a while!. You wouldnt normally reconmend doing more then every other day for atleast 4weeks.

I do 20-30hrs in gym per week, (dont normally have any rest days as such) but what you or i can do is completely irrelevent. :shrug:

Check this link out for more information on the condition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

Thanks for the advice. Is it really necessary so early on to get my gait measured etc?
Naturally cost is gonna be an issue. This is certainly a goal of mine, but there are limits to spending silly amounts on a pair of trainers lol
I do understand it's going to be necessary the more I run, but is it still necessary so early on?
Especially when I read they last x miles before needing replacement. The reason I ask is that naturally being a 19st unfit fatty....to walk into a proper running shop to be filmed running is a big thing, especially as I can't do it for long LOL

First photo btw.
12045_166342947340_634402340_3386564_131496_n.jpg

Will look at the Belkin armband, cheers. I plan to wear it under my t-shirt sleeve so it's not seen.

Forgot to say, the plan does give for tomorrow too. I have specified Weds and Sundays off (I do Aikido on those days anyway). I think I need to rejig it and add Saturday as a rest day, I don't want to overdo it.

Thanks for the advice. Is it really necessary so early on to get my gait measured etc?
Naturally cost is gonna be an issue. This is certainly a goal of mine, but there are limits to spending silly amounts on a pair of trainers lol
I do understand it's going to be necessary the more I run, but is it still necessary so early on?
Especially when I read they last x miles before needing replacement. The reason I ask is that naturally being a 19st unfit fatty....to walk into a proper running shop to be filmed running is a big thing, especially as I can't do it for long LOL

In a word YES. It not normally an issue if your walking, but once you start running the impact forces that get transfered through the ankles and knees magnifies. If your slightly out you wont have too many issues but largely out could en in major knee injurys or shine splints etc. Please dont take this wrongly but your weight is going to add to risk to any inbalance that could couse major injurys. Proper shoes like Asics dont cost any more then normal trainers. Mine where £50.

Forgot to say, the plan does give for tomorrow too. I have specified Weds and Sundays off (I do Aikido on those days anyway). I think I need to rejig it and add Saturday as a rest day, I don't want to overdo it.

Slightly strange that one. But really depends on the plan, i'll trust asics though they should know what there talking about. (y)

Last edited:
Cheers. Don't worry about the weight, I know I'm a fatty and it doesn't offend me ;)
Naturally the extra weight is a concern for me. My knees have been carrying all this extra weight for years, so I expect them to be very unhappy at the moment lol

Im not far from Decathlon tomorrow, and I think they offer the same service too, so might pop in there.

Here is the myasics schedule for the coming week. I've rejigged it and said I want Saturdays off too.
So technically I'll be doing exercise 6 days a week (if I go to Aikido both days), plus swimming once / twice a week.
Im not worried about the Aikido interfering as I can tone down the level of effort I put in, and still have an enjoyable 2 hours with much less effort, so its more very gentle exercise tbh.

My_ASICS-20091025-222109.jpg

Oh i see what there doing there. Its a good method, i still use the same pricibles as those for my power training.

Just so you know I love running, my PB is 36min for 10km so what i say is from personal experince over the last 20 years training.

wow, thats more than i did when i started! just crack on, and get gait measured. and for the record, my first trainers were 110, no problems, my latest pair, 60, and i suffer much more cramping and have had a slight knee problem. related to the trainers? i dont know, but ill be spending more next month! and as for your fatness, you look taller than me, and i was 21stone, so crack on fat man ;) xxx

Another helpful gadget is the little Nike trainer for your iphone not sure if you can get an app for that anyway but it clips on your shoe costs around £20 and comes with an app for your ipod/iphone to show you how much you've run and other stats.

Keep meaning to get myself one but not got around to it but have had it recommended to me by a few mates.

P.S. Go for it :) hope all goes well

Last edited:
Cheers Rozzy (y)

kiteninja, I was looking at that, but it's not compatible with the iphone 3g, only the 3gs or ipod touch / nano.

:thumbsdown: to Apple for that one.

I'm using an application and website called RunKeeper (the free version). Got home tonight and it had plotted my exact route with details, times, speeds, hills, everything. Can't get better than that!

Harvey your more than welcome to come to the house for some Muay Thai lessons! I do basic knife/ground defences. No-where near Krav though! Its not really part of our training, but these days it unfortunatly calls for it, so we teach it.

Marcel, which 10k are you running, tbh I have not looked at any 10k's next year as I am doing the Marathon LOL!!!

My trainers were £70 for Nike+. You should expect ~100miles per pair, so its not a lot really. I dont run very fast, well I dont think so, wife says its ok.

I run to the gym which is 6.5k and it takes me around 35mins.

If your near to me (Bolton) I can come over and do some training with you pal.

Brooksy, that's a lovely offer. I'll definitely take you up on that, but at least let me work my way up to some decent distance first lol. You'll be walking along side a fatman otherwise :p

Rozzy, I actually quite like my legs. All my weight has always been around my middle.
When I was a bus driver even though I had a massive tummy, I couldn't pinch an ounce of fat on my legs...

PS. I'm not sure what you mean "Was it not you?" :thinking:

I aint so slender mate! Still got a bit around the middle I dont want. You dont have to be super thin to run!

Be careful. It has been proven that over excercise is not a recipe for quick weight loss (if thats your target). G2EWS is on holiday at the moment but when he gets back ask him abou the technical description.

I am into my third month of a change of eating lifestyle. Its totally self developed...........I could not be bothered with a weekly weigh in at a club etc. It works like this

1) Ensure you are never hungry otherwise your body stores up th efat
2) Watch the calories. I keep them to about 1000 to 1500 per day

I have lost a stone per month so far

stew

I know. It's all gentle exercise and I'm not overdoing it. I have a routine of martial arts and swimming every week, so am adding the running to it.

Plus I have self imposed rules about eating (and certain junk foods which I have to have rules for to stop me overeating ;))

Hi marcel,

first of all good luck on your training. I starter training about this time last year for the manchester 10k and in hindsight it was one of the best things I did. I was 18.7 stone at the time so not far off where u r now. As a result of my training I am now a much more respectable 16.1.
My advice is to take it really easy for the first 4- 6 weeks, especially if
you have been pretty inactive. Unlike a more active person your joints, ligaments and muscles will not be used to the strain and thus more
prone to injury if you do not rest them. Any exercise you do will cause damage to muscle
fiber and your rest day is when that muscle gets rebuilt stronger. If you then train whilst the repair process is in progress you will just end up weakening the muscle further or worse case causing an injury! The difference with someone who regularly trains is that they have solid, strong muscle mass so training does minimal damage and so the rest day is not as essential.
Regarding iPhone case, marware do a sports armband which is very good. Lastly for trainers you want to get yourself on runner world website and figure out your gait. This will dictate you trainer to a certain extent. Being a little heavier, you will need to take this into account with your trainer selection too.
Anyway I wish the very best of luck with you training, I am sure you will look back in a few months and recognise this as one of the more rewading decisions you made :)

cheers
huss

Cheers Rozzy (y)

kiteninja, I was looking at that, but it's not compatible with the iphone 3g, only the 3gs or ipod touch / nano.

:thumbsdown: to Apple for that one.

I'm using an application and website called RunKeeper (the free version). Got home tonight and it had plotted my exact route with details, times, speeds, hills, everything. Can't get better than that!

damn i need an iphone lol now i have a new excuse to get one [it'll help me run better lol]

My wife did a couple of 10ks the yr before last.... we went to Lancaster to a pro sports shop.. They got her on a runnign thing and the computer showed her what was wrong with her runnign and how to correct it and what trainers where best for her with adjustments... She said the diference was remarkable and well worth the stupid amount of money I paid :( :)

I gave up smoking 15 yrs ago and thought it was the hardest thing I had ever done.. until I tried to change my eating habits... havent managed that yet :(... love my food :)

Good luck with it and mega respect for even getting this far.. :)

Be careful. It has been proven that over excercise is not a recipe for quick weight loss (if thats your target). G2EWS is on holiday at the moment but when he gets back ask him abou the technical description.

I am into my third month of a change of eating lifestyle. Its totally self developed...........I could not be bothered with a weekly weigh in at a club etc. It works like this

1) Ensure you are never hungry otherwise your body stores up th efat
2) Watch the calories. I keep them to about 1000 to 1500 per day

I have lost a stone per month so far

stew

1000-1500 calories a day is not enough for a man his size, especially if he is exercising. I think he would lose weight on 2000 calories.

Thanks again everyone.
I went to Foot Traffic in Bolton. The chap there got me on the treadmill, filmed me running for about a minute and then showed me frame by frame and explained what happens.

When my foot lands, it lands rather squarely and just as it should...allowing the arch to absorb the impact, but then I overpronate apparently and my knee moves inwards for the lift, therefore putting weight on the inside of the shoe and a slight twist on my knee too to compensate automatically for the position.

I've got a nice shiny new pair of 11.5 sized Asics with extra support in the right place now (the inside of the shoe), so this should minimize any problems. And theyre good for 500 or so road miles :)
He didn't suggest possibly correcting the way I do it, just using a different shoe. Should I work on a better running motion/positioning etc at the moment, or will the extra support in the shoe sort out any problems :)

1000-1500 calories a day is not enough for a man his size, especially if he is exercising. I think he would lose weight on 2000 calories.

Could even be as high 2500 with the right training and food. You'd be suprised how much you need to eat sometimes. I lose weight on 4500 per day :eek:

If you really wanted to go into when training your diet should be completely different, you'l need more protein. Bit to early to really get involved in the diet yeet though.

Should I work on a better running motion/positioning etc at the moment, or will the extra support in the shoe sort out any problems :)

You answered your own question there.

the extra support in the shoe sort out any problems

Over time that is. They might be slightly uncomfortable for a couple of days, and expect to get slightly sore knees to as they will be working differently now to what they have been.

The one thing that puzzles me is that it felt different running on the treadmill. I hope I don't pronate/supinate differently on the road (where I'll be doing my running), making the new shoes wrong.

It does feel different, dont know why but it does, but dont worry your gait is the same if on the treadmill on out on the road.

The treadmills reduce the forces put though your joints aas the bouncy compared to the tarmac, you should also raise the incline on the treadmill by 2-5 levels to simulate road running closer. This is why most competive runners run outside on the roads.

Could even be as high 2500 with the right training and food. You'd be suprised how much you need to eat sometimes. I lose weight on 4500 per day :eek:

If you really wanted to go into when training your diet should be completely different, you'l need more protein. Bit to early to really get involved in the diet yeet though.

Yes you are right. If you are wanting to diet it is best to ask an expert ( local dieticien would help probably) about how many calories. I am overweight and my dieticien said I need about 2000 cals to lose weight sensibly ( and men generally need more).

Last edited:
best of luck! Fantastic goal to set for yourself!

You wouldnt want to run 10k without being dead fit so get cracking mate!

this is my fourth week of gymming and swimming, its going fairly well and am much much more active than i was.

Have found i eat less just naturally as i get up and active earlier, seems to stop me being so hungry :) i also crave good food not fat

I have a bit of a theory on it (but its probably stupid because i am no scientist!) I think that when we sit and veg all day, without doing much or using our bodies, our brains go into Hibernation mode and our bodies crave fat and calories to store for the winter

when we are active and running about, we are training our brains that we arent hibernating and we begin to crave better foods and also find it easier to get up and go!

Best of luck to you, i hope that we both do well as i am 15st 74 and i would like to be 12st by April

:)

I really admire you for having a go and being brave enough to put it all up on here :clap:

I really need to lose some weight 48 years old 19.5 stone 5' 10" tall, it's a heart attack waiting to happen :(

I've just booked a holiday for march which i'm hoping will give me the incentive to do something about it , if I could get down to around 14 stone in 6 months I know i'd feel much better about myself

Well, third night of running tonight.
In mathematical equation style, I did :

(3 x ((30,45,60), 1 min walk)), 2 min walk. Something like that.

Basically

Run 30 seconds, walk 1 min
Run 45 second, walk 1 min
Run 60 seconds, walk 1 min
Walk 2 min

Repeat another 2 times.

My shins were a little achey when I started, but once warmed up I felt much better, and when stretching at the end, the aches pretty much went :)

So a bit harder tonight, when I started, I was quite out of breath as usual, but then about halfway through something just clicked, and I was running the second 60 second spurt and I was like 'Im not even out of breath!'.
I've been trying to exercise my lungs while I do it, breathing out through the mouth as far as I can before breathing in again (to utilise the full capacity of my lungs).

The new shoes made things feel different. Started feeling it in my legs (I assume thats what they call 'the burn') towards the end. Peter Carr has also started running and he said his first run today (after getting his gait analysed for his new shoes), he said it felt like he was running on pillows.

I don't feel like that. I don't feel a problem, but the shoes don't feel extremely springy like new trainers normally do. Maybe its the support built in? (I overpronate so have extra firm support in the front and the rear...I got some Asics Foundation 7's as recommended by the chap at the running shop).

Have you made any changes to your diet? Now you are exercising you will be using up vitamins and your immune system will be lower without taking extra vitamins. If you can't get it through food I'd advise a multi vitamin tablet per day, a couple of 400 iu Vitamin E capsules per day (the latter will help the heart and also with your breathing). I'd also recommend Glucosomine Sulphate tablets and cod liver oil capsules, these should ease any aches and pains and keep the joints supple.
If you should develop a cold stop training, you'll only make it worse or last longer.
Best of luck.

I've changed it to be a bit healthier.
I'm not running *that* much each day yet, so not worried about the vitamins etc.
I can't take Glucosamine Sulhate (my own choice). I got some to help with my Aikido and suppleness of my joints earlier this year, but read that a common side effect is high blood pressure....which might counteract my blood pressure medication ;)

Back