My 1D Mark II arrives today

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

My second-hand 1D Mark II arrives tomorrow and I just wondered what I should check or look out for? The pics of it seemed to suggest very good condition/excellent and its done approx 50,000 actuations so fingers crossed it's a good one.

I have down loaded the manual and noticed something, is it firewire for uploading pics to the pc or Usb?

Any hints tips for setting up/getting best out of it would be great, 30D will be up for sale once I confirm it's a keeper ;)

Thanks,

Mike.

Yes its firewire for uploading if you like doing it that way and for changing/enabling the personal functions on it (through eos utility).

What sort of subjects are you going to be using it for?
I can tell u how i set my 1dmk2n up for birds in flight but can't be arsed typing it out if thats not relevant to you:LOL:

Yes its firewire for uploading if you like doing it that way and for changing/enabling the personal functions on it (through eos utility).

What sort of subjects are you going to be using it for?
I can tell u how i set my 1dmk2n up for birds in flight but can't be arsed typing it out if thats not relevant to you:LOL:
Hi,

ok that's a bummer s no Firewire on PC, I have an internal card reader that I bought to fit in my media PC so might just fit that so I can read straight from card until I get Firewire fitted.

As for the BIF settings I have a note of some that I got from googling so no worries about that unless they are crap and I can come back to you for yours ;)

Mike.

you can use usb to download files, but you can only remote shoot via firewire (at least I think you can download files).

Hmmm I can't rightly remember, I always took the cards out and put them in a reader, its faster :)

you can use usb to download files, but you can only remote shoot via firewire (at least I think you can download files).

Hmmm I can't rightly remember, I always took the cards out and put them in a reader, its faster :)

Hi Scott,

ok, I have a card reader lying about so might as well fit it lol, it's only been waiting for that for just over 2 years :D

Waiting anxiously on the postie right now and it's not our usual one as he is on holiday so it won't be here until after 11 :crying:

Mike.

I have the WB +/- button assigned to engage AF in full 45 point mode (only while i hold it down) and the * button next to it set to centre point.

It's dead useful for action and birds in flight.... hold down * or the button to the left of it to engage 2 completely different AF point setups.

Theres several custom options you have to change to do that though

For me one of the most usefull things is to have a SD card in the camera at all times. You can save and load setups from it, and if you ever run out of space on your CF, you can just continue to write to the SD card.

Oh and the way to switch to SD card from CF is pretty stupid IMHO. the quick way to do it for me is just take out the CF card, and the camera will switch to the SD automatically.

just stand next to any other photographer and press the shutter at 8.5 frames a second... you will wet yerself :)

50k isnt too bad.. it will do 250k+ so you have a lot of life left in it.. then around 250 quid to replace the shutter and yer off again... what sorta price was it? I am thinking of getting a MKIII and selling mine thats done about 50k

Hi,

thnaks for the tips, will hopefully get out to play tomorrow

just stand next to any other photographer and press the shutter at 8.5 frames a second... you will wet yerself :)

50k isnt too bad.. it will do 250k+ so you have a lot of life left in it.. then around 250 quid to replace the shutter and yer off again... what sorta price was it? I am thinking of getting a MKIII and selling mine thats done about 50k

he he already tried the 'H' drive setting and boy is it way faster than my 30D ;) The actual shutter count is 46,381 and the body in excellent condition, fully boxed with everything except manual ( I downloaded the PDF file anyway ) and also came with a spare battery.

Here's to decent weather tomorrow (y)

Mike.

Congrats on the new purchase Mike ... (y) ... hope it works out for you and you get thousands of happy actuations from it ... :D

:p

Congrats on the new purchase Mike ... (y) ... hope it works out for you and you get thousands of happy actuations from it ... :D

:p

Hi,

thanks, just have to tell the better half about it..... :eek:

Mike.

first thing i would do is reset the camera to all default settings - saves a lot of ****ing around trying to figure out why something does not work - there is a simple setting to clear all the custom stuff - cant remember where it is sorry

next thing is to ensure the setting is set that you cannot take photo without a card - then you are off - go play...

Well, Mike, got back from the US yesterday, just seen your post re the 1D, excellent, must meet up soon and look at each other's purchases........yes I got it!!

George

Well, Mike, got back from the US yesterday, just seen your post re the 1D, excellent, must meet up soon and look at each other's purchases........yes I got it!!

George

Hi George,

wondered when you were due home, hope you had a good trip, you must be desperate to get out with your new toys :D

Give me a shout if you want to organise a visit as I am off work just now for a few weeks so have plenty of time on my hands ;)

Mike.

OK, Mike, but busy just now, try to catch up soon, cheers.

George

Congrats on the new purchase mikeyb, I love mine, I love Custom Function 4/1 so the * button focusses and then the shutter button only locks the exposure when you are ready to take the shot, great for sports or birding.

Back