My 1st Post - Strobe Flash Ideas & Hotshoe Stuff

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,
My first post on here. Been reading the forum for a while and thought it was time I took part!:wave:

I've just got a 580EX II flash and was playing around with the strobe function on it last night. I also had a play with using my 430EX as a slave.

Just wondering if anyone had some cool examples of stuff they'd done with the strobe. I'm hoping to try some ideas out over the coming days.

Also can anyone recommend a cheap but reliable wireless transmitter type thing so I can use both my flashes off camera??

Finally does anyone know any cheap flashes that can be used as a slave to my existing setup?

Sorry if this should have been 3 threads:shrug:

Any other tips etc welcome
Ta

Hi rob,

assuming you have a Canon camera: can't you trigger its off-camera flashguns with IR – infra red (invisible optical triggering)? Some cameras and their associated flashguns have that built-in capability. If yours does too, that information will be in your camera and flashgun manuals.

Another approach could be visible optical triggering: with your pop-up flashgun and a (couple of) slave-eye sensors. To be had on Ebay for around $10 per. But that won't work if your camera/pop-up flash combo sends pre-flashes that trigger the off-cam main flashes, so that the actual light projection is already effectively over by the time the shutter opens for the real exposure. Though maybe you can switch off the pre-flash?

Have fun!

There is some threads about strobe flash in here somewhere, but here is a shot I've posted before using the strobe on a 580 II

golfball.jpg

There is some threads about strobe flash in here somewhere, but here is a shot I've posted before using the strobe on a 580 II

golfball.jpg

Nice, white!
But isn't that very dependant on a very short subject distance? I.o.w. does the 580 II have enough pizzazz to do that at 6 and 12 feet subject distance too?

Hi guys,
W.Smith - Thanks for the information, I'll have to have a play and see if I can though i suspect it would mean using the on camera flash :(

Thanks for the interesting shot too whiteflyer! - I have a band practice tonight, I might try somethings, if anything decent comes up i'll post it up :)

Nice, white!
But isn't that very dependant on a very short subject distance? I.o.w. does the 580 II have enough pizzazz to do that at 6 and 12 feet subject distance too?

Power output is a problem when using strobe mode. You can set it high enough to cover that sort of distance but it will run out of steam after not too many flashes. You need to set the power low to keep it going and that means getting closer.

Here's one of mine with strobe -

movement3.jpg

Taken in very low light with the background some distance behind so it did not get over lit.

He's a shot I took before our band practice, nothing too special but another use of strobe effect I guess. (y)

20071128190357__mg_3096-2.jpg

Back