My 2020 Journey

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
No
Whilst I hate the 'journey' adjective, I couldn't think of anything more appropriate. After spending the last few years deciding on what format and system was to stick with I have decided that the Fuji system is it for me. As those who frequent the Fuji thread will know, I have collected quite. collection of lenses, not to mention cameras in the last year or so, and as such I intend to make the best use of them. I have been really busy at work with the numerous roles I have, but I have now decided that I want to spend some real time doing what I love as well as what I need to do to keep myself my family in the luxury they are accustomed.

So, I will be adding lots of shots in here, and these will include all sorts of things, from iPhone shots, to any amount of different lenses and genres. Please feel free to add comments and critique, though for the most part this is going to be a catalogue of my (hopeful) progress over the next 12 months.

My main intention is to improve the following:

Flash

Street

Landscape

But everything is on the table, I will also be redoing the 52 challenge, and will share this pictures in here too.

Thanks for looking :)

Whilst I hate the 'journey' adjective, I couldn't think of anything more appropriate. After spending the last few years deciding on what format and system was to stick with I have decided that the Fuji system is it for me. As those who frequent the Fuji thread will know, I have collected quite. collection of lenses, not to mention cameras in the last year or so, and as such I intend to make the best use of them. I have been really busy at work with the numerous roles I have, but I have now decided that I want to spend some real time doing what I love as well as what I need to do to keep myself my family in the luxury they are accustomed.

So, I will be adding lots of shots in here, and these will include all sorts of things, from iPhone shots, to any amount of different lenses and genres. Please feel free to add comments and critique, though for the most part this is going to be a catalogue of my (hopeful) progress over the next 12 months.

My main intention is to improve the following:

Flash

Street

Landscape

But everything is on the table, I will also be redoing the 52 challenge, and will share this pictures in here too.

Thanks for looking :)
:banana::cool::clap::plus1:

A picture of my new optional set up for the AD200. I wouldn't normally mount it like this on a stand while on camera, but the extender allows you to keep the weight of the main unit lower to not overbalance. I have the camera with the flash bracket with the round head fitted, so that I can stick the main AD200 in my pocket, or on a belt clip if I need extra power in bright conditions for HSS. I haven't tried it out properly yet, but that is my plan, I have a few scenarios in mind, and will be sharing results in here.

Untitled by rick phillips, on Flickr

Well, now we are back to normal following the Xmas and New Year period, my daughter is back into her normal Saturday routine. This involves me taking her to tap / ballet first thing, followed by collecting her from that at 1100 and then going to PQA (Pauline Quirk Academy ) until 1300. So that s my Saturday morning pretty much spent in a number of car parks, and 2 visits to McDonalds... the first for me to have some breakfast, the second for Natiya to have her lunch before visiting Grandma. Anyway, whilst in McDonalds I have been taking a few snaps with my phone as I find it quite interesting. This morning was the first time in my history that there wasn't a single car in the car park, New Years resolutions no doubt! I am sure it will be back to normal next week...

I thought I would try out my AD200 set up to see how it would work in some bright sunshine outside, as my daughter wasn't willing to play ball, and I don't have time to go out anywhere I just took these quick shots to see how it would look. The SS vary from 1/1000 to 1/5000 and they are at really low ISO. The 860 couldn't manage to give enough light, the AD200 was at nearly full power in manual, but I think it will provide me with some options instead of having a cart theAD600 around with me..

DSCF4603 by Rick Phillips, on Flickr

DSCF4580 by Rick Phillips, on Flickr

DSCF4556 by Rick Phillips, on Flickr

DSCF4552 by Rick Phillips, on Flickr

This one was shot inside, all of the ambient light was taken out of it, apart from the little bit from the lamp. Just having a play before I try some real shots.

DSCF4497 by Rick Phillips, on Flickr

Rick
Have you considered a remote flash gun/s with a radio trigger. Easier to place the guns where you want and fire off as many as you like with the receivers attached. I got pixel kings transmitter and receiver which are not expensive. that is if they make for your camera.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...1313&_nkw=+pixel+king+for+flash+guns&_sacat=0

Ii also use a remote shutter release radio trigger makes life so much easier

a demo video of what I mean the gun and camera flashes twice it the video so you can photograph yourself in shot as well. ;)

Just an idea the transmitter can also have a flashgun on top asi t has a through connecting to the hotshoe

tSpiHay.jpg

Last edited:
Rick
Have you considered a remote flash gun/s with a radio trigger. Easier to place the guns where you want and fire off as many as you like with the receivers attached. I got pixel kings transmitter and receiver which are not expensive. that is if they make for your camera.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...1313&_nkw=+pixel+king+for+flash+guns&_sacat=0

Ii also use a remote shutter release radio trigger makes life so much easier

a demo video of what I mean the gun and camera flashes twice it the video so you can photograph yourself in shot as well. ;)

Just an idea the transmitter can also have a flashgun on top asi t has a through connecting to the hotshoe

tSpiHay.jpg
I have some remote triggers, and to be fair I can fire my Godox and Lencarta flash from my XproF. The setup I had was really for extra power on camera rather than being used on a tripod or stand. I have some shots in some local woods planned, and as part of this I think I will need some decent flash power, but I don't want the faff of carrying a load of lighting gear with me as it is a bit of a trek. I wills how it goes and post here when I have tried it :) Thanks for popping by..

Hey Rick. Just thought I'd stick my head in as another "unspecified 2020 project" person to wish you well and say "here's someone looking at your thread". Might not have anything constructive to say, but I'm here nonetheless.

Good luck!

Hey Rick. Just thought I'd stick my head in as another "unspecified 2020 project" person to wish you well and say "here's someone looking at your thread". Might not have anything constructive to say, but I'm here nonetheless.

Good luck!
Thanks Ian,

Much appreciated, I'll take a look at your thread too :)

Here are 3 versions of the tool(s) submission for this weeks 52 challenge, I shot this in my garage and originally wanted to use flash, however as room was very limited due to the amount of junk in. there I had to shoot this using the natural light from a small window camera left. Due to the lack of space I had to use the 16mm 1.4 and low light meant ISO 8000, although I was happy with the grainy look as I wanted to create a retro look for the Snap On box.

First edit (and the one I submitted)

Snap On toolbox by Rick Phillips, on Flickr

With this one I added a blue LUT to change to look slightly.

Snap on toolbox blues LUT by Rick Phillips, on Flickr

And finally a mono version.

Snap on toolbox mono by Rick Phillips, on Flickr

A happy soul there Rick, and comfortable in front of the camera - which is very handy!

You seem to like central subjects. Have you tried off-centering your portrait subjects to see how it looks? The angled body shot (2) works well for me rather than the square on shots (1 & 3)

(y)

A happy soul there Rick, and comfortable in front of the camera - which is very handy!

You seem to like central subjects. Have you tried off-centering your portrait subjects to see how it looks? The angled body shot (2) works well for me rather than the square on shots (1 & 3)

(y)
Thanks for the comments, I will give that a try next time, whilst she is comfortable in front of a camera, she is not easy to get to do anything other than what she wants!

Here are a couple of others which are not straight on.

Natiya playing in the winter sun by Rick Phillips, on Flickr

Natiya playing in the winter sun by Rick Phillips, on Flickr

A couple of shots from the last week, first is a visiting Chinook at work, then a bad effort to show the wild weather for this weeks 52 challenge.

Chinook by Rick Phillips, on Flickr

DSCF5095 by Rick Phillips, on Flickr

I've just bought an Eyelighter to help with some portraits, I am hoping to try this out in the next couple of weeks. I'll pop some example up in this thread once I have tried it. I am really hoping to improve my flash photography this year. Fingers crossed!

Back