My attempt at a nuthatch.....

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Walking through some parkland I spotted an area where someone had scattered some birdseed and the usual Robins and Tits were scavenging about. I then noticed this Nuthatch which joined in the fray and allowed me to get quite close.

DSC_9136
by 1979Bree, on Flickr

DSC_9182
by 1979Bree, on Flickr

DSC_9151
by 1979Bree, on Flickr

DSC_9163
by 1979Bree, on Flickr

I only had my Nikkor 70-300 f4.5-5.6 (light and lazy!) but was quite pleased with the results.

The first is potentially a nice shot, but there is a little bit too much environment in the shot, which is a bit distracting. Cropping some of the OOF area on the left would sort that out.

I'm not too keen on the second due to the pose and the harsh lighting, while the third is a nice shot.

Potentially the best of the set for me is the last one, but I think you need to re-process it. If you could reduce the saturation to make the colours a bit more natural and see if you could recover some of the blown whites on the cheek then it really will be a nice shot.

Overall though, they are nice photos - just a slight tweak needed.

1st & 3rd for me, nice set :)

#1 and #4 float my boat.

I love the peek-a-boo aspect of #1. Yes you could reduce the environment but be careful not to reduce it too much or the photo will lose its humour. Experiment and see what you like best (assuming you agree).

Something inbetween your #4 and Graham's over-natural and less appealing (in my opinion) edit. But it's a great shot and composition.

I'm one of those guys who much prefers some environment for wildlife images unless the photo is for identifying species in a guide book. But there's no right or wrong and that's just my personal opinion.

Good set i particularly like nos 1;3 and 4. I rather like the background as it shows the environment in which they live.

Back