My attempts at Southport Airshow

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
First time with my 5D3 and really noticed the reduction in range from my 100-400mm compared to my old 550D. I've had to crop quite a bit on a few. Hope you all like.

1. BAC Strikemaster

AX3A3029 by Gnasher68, on Flickr

2. Tucano

AX3A3188 by Gnasher68, on Flickr

3. Huey

AX3A3252 by Gnasher68, on Flickr

4. Sabre

AX3A3282 by Gnasher68, on Flickr

5. Lancaster

AX3A3613 by Gnasher68, on Flickr

6. Merlin

AX3A3722 by Gnasher68, on Flickr

Any comments/criticism/advice gratefully received.

Thanks,
Tim

Last edited:
Great shots
I couldn't make the Saturday show, and Sunday was cancelled, 1 st time I've not been for years
I find full frame to be a bit short with 100 -400 for this kind of photography
I recently upgraded from mk2 to the mk3
I did blackpool airshow a few weeks ago and just used it to experiment with the af modes and tracking system
Which combo did you use

Which mode did you use

Hi,

All photos were taken with the 5d3 and 100-400mm.
I'm not the cleverest with settings and just set it to tv then adjusted the iso to either 100 or 400 and the speed to around 1/60-1/160 for helicopters and around 1/400-1/800 for jets with something in between for the prop planes.
I've got a lot of blurred/dots in sky shots!

Tim

Wow. Thanks very much Julian. Praise indeed.

Forgot to mention regarding the settings. I also tweaked the exposure compensation up around +1 to 1.5 to allow for the sky then tweaked the settings down a bit in Lightroom. I'm looking at the pictures at work now and they all look dark to me so may have gone too far.

Wow. Thanks very much Julian. Praise indeed.

Forgot to mention regarding the settings. I also tweaked the exposure compensation up around +1 to 1.5 to allow for the sky then tweaked the settings down a bit in Lightroom. I'm looking at the pictures at work now and they all look dark to me so may have gone too far.

Id be proud to do anything half as good as these Tim. Credit where its due.(y)

Thanks everyone for your very kind comments. I was unsure about the exposure level so it's reassuring that they look ok to someone else. I've now had a look at home again on another computer and they don't look as dark as at work.

Thanks Bernie and Leon.

Agreed about the Merlin rotor speed. I kept reviewing my shots and lowering the shutter speed till it was down to 1/125 for the side on shot and 1/60 for the 'bowing' one. The Huey seems to spin slowly as well but as it was directly facing me on this shot there didn't seem much point slowing the shutter speed.

Tim

Thank you Paul.

It's interesting how different pictures appeal to different people. 3 different favourites from 3 people on here and on Flickr the side on Merlin seems to be most popular with the greatest amount of views. I'm just really pleased that they're liked.

Tim

Back