My automotive rig promise!

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking at building an automotive rig within the next 6 months or so and I'm looking for some advice on doing so!

I'm literally at square one, I don't know where to start! All I know is that my rig will be teamed with a Sigma 10-20mm F/4-5.6 and or the Samyang 8.5mm F/3.5 fisheye.

:help:

large pole, suction mounts, clamps camera mount.

10-20 make for crap shots and fisheye only give you one or two in reality.

also if your static shots are not up to much trying to do a rig shot will be much harder.

large pole, suction mounts, clamps camera mount.

10-20 make for crap shots and fisheye only give you one or two in reality.

also if your static shots are not up to much trying to do a rig shot will be much harder.

Where would I get all of that stuff from then?

Any recommended glass?

What do you mean by the last sentence?

There have been threads on this before so maybe try a search. (y)

farrance said:
Where would I get all of that stuff from then?

Any recommended glass?

What do you mean by the last sentence?

my last sentence means if you can't actually take a decent car shot then trying to get a goo rig shot will be next to impossible.

have a look on b Hague for rigs.

I would disagree about the sigma 10-20 making for "crap" shots but i would agree about learning to take static car shots properly first (but the assumption should be the OP does know how to take static shots and now wants to try rig shots).

kman said:
I would disagree about the sigma 10-20 making for "crap" shots but i would agree about learning to take static car shots properly first (but the assumption should be the OP does know how to take static shots and now wants to try rig shots).

10-22 is far to wide so you end up with distorted cars.

Its controllable and doesn't necessarily make a bad image. How far away would you have to be for a longer focal length shot on a crop body? Would it not require a very long rig pole and I don't think I've seen anything longer than about 5 metres (including b-hague kits) which would give you a distance of 4-4.5m from the car max.

These were shot with a Sigma 10-20:

268304_10150282757071882_564021881_9188403_1717080_n.jpg

and you can see there's not a lot of distance to work with:

253576_10150280014721882_564021881_9158092_1959539_n.jpg

Cracking shots kman!

I'm looking at perhaps £250-300 maximum for parts, I'll custom make it instead of buying it outright simply because I'd rather do that for the pleasure of knowing I made it and also, custom in #win ;)

It's just part sourcing that is my trouble!

kman said:
Its controllable and doesn't necessarily make a bad image. How far away would you have to be for a longer focal length shot on a crop body? Would it not require a very long rig pole and I don't think I've seen anything longer than about 5 metres (including b-hague kits) which would give you a distance of 4-4.5m from the car max.

These were shot with a Sigma 10-20:

and you can see there's not a lot of distance to work with:

and the focal length has distorted the car. you need to get your rig out further.

and the focal length has distorted the car. you need to get your rig out further.

yes but what i am saying its not usually that feasible to get the rig out a whole lot further than say 3-4 metres from the car which doesn't leave a lot of room for using longer focal lengths on crop sensor bodies.

Back