my best mate

Very integrating close up shots, of the two I rally like the second one, the tight framing I think is great.

Not tried it myself, but perhaps a letterbox crop will enhance and make the eyes more of a focal point? (No pun intended), Nice pics of a beautiful dog btw.

Not tried it myself, but perhaps a letterbox crop will enhance and make the eyes more of a focal point? (No pun intended), Nice pics of a beautiful dog btw.

thank you
that's not something ive tried ether ,ill have to look at a few and see how they look.
one thing ive noticed myself is on the 1st pic you can see my reflection in his eyes which is a bit annoying

I prefer the first photo as it appears he is looking straight at the camera, which is more engaging. You also nailed the focus on that.
The second comes across a bit like a random shot of the top of a dog's head :p

I prefer the first photo as it appears he is looking straight at the camera, which is more engaging. You also nailed the focus on that.
The second comes across a bit like a random shot of the top of a dog's head :p
thanks for the feedback :D ,i think i see what you,re saying .ill work on slighly lower frameing

Nik, I didn't like the second one because of the very limited depth of field; too much was out of focus for me. I'm not sure a letterbox over the eyes would work either; trying to imagine it, just felt it would look weird.

I really liked the first one, nice eye contact (and nice images of the photographer in the eyes), and looks nice and shrp. It was only on the 3rd or 4th look I noticed the strange blurry area on best friend's nose, which again I think is a depth of field issue. Maybe some brighter light and a smaller aperture? I wondered about a longer lens, but you wouldn't get your friend looking at you like that if you weren't close!

Good stuff, though!

Nik, I didn't like the second one because of the very limited depth of field; too much was out of focus for me. I'm not sure a letterbox over the eyes would work either; trying to imagine it, just felt it would look weird.

I really liked the first one, nice eye contact (and nice images of the photographer in the eyes), and looks nice and shrp. It was only on the 3rd or 4th look I noticed the strange blurry area on best friend's nose, which again I think is a depth of field issue. Maybe some brighter light and a smaller aperture? I wondered about a longer lens, but you wouldn't get your friend looking at you like that if you weren't close!

Good stuff, though!
hi chris
thank you ,thats very helpful feedback.the reasoning for the limited dof use was i wasn't so much trying to capture the whole portrait but the look/emotion in his eyes.

i felt leaving the out of focus/dof helped to draw towards the eyes
i guess maybe if it took 3 or 4 looks before you spotted the nose that maybe it did?,i am just pleased you looked more than once:D

my reflection in his eyes annoys me :D you cant see him properly . it was taken on an overcast day with just the natural light outside at iso 200 and its a 50mm 1.8 lens . the perspective of a longer lens might be interesting ,ill have a think on that one
thanks again for the feedback i will try some other approaches nik

Back