My Brand New Kawasaki ZR7-S (Well New To Me)

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
No
Just taken delivery of my band new Kawasaki ZR7-S. Unfortunatly its confined to the garder as i dont have my DAS test till the 25th and I'm not allowed to ride it. :crying:
Its a 2001, but it is in gorgeous condition, and got a great leather tank cover aswell.

1#
548048_3659340529215_1445723170_33422809_994575734_n.jpg

2#
522728_3659335049078_1445723170_33422806_1568296219_n.jpg

3#
559818_3659333649043_1445723170_33422804_552866989_n.jpg

Almost makes me want a bike again
Watch out for low flying micras, they hurt :)
Whats a DAS test, is this another new thing?
I'm sure you'll have fun, but nice to see crash bars around engine casing, definitely worth adding a few nipples to protect plastics, as a no speed drop could cost a fortune
I was getting jealous typing this, then I reminded my self that shiny tog stuff is the way forward :)

Nice!.......I would be yearning to get out on it too!!

Like the angle in shot #3

Almost makes me want a bike again
Watch out for low flying micras, they hurt :)
Whats a DAS test, is this another new thing?
I'm sure you'll have fun, but nice to see crash bars around engine casing, definitely worth adding a few nipples to protect plastics, as a no speed drop could cost a fortune
I was getting jealous typing this, then I reminded my self that shiny tog stuff is the way forward :)

I currently only have aprovisional licence, which means i can only ride up to a 125cc bike.
Then there are two main licences:
A1 (I think its called this): You are restricted to a maximum engine size of 125cc and a power output of 33bhp for two years, then after that time the licence automaticaly upgrades to a full one.

And

DAS (Full Bike Licence): On this one, once you pass you are completely free to ride what ever you can afford. I need to go for this one, as i fell in love with this bike and its a 750cc with 78bhp :bonk:

And yeah like the fact that this one has come with the extra engine protection, which isn't fitted as standard.

The licencing mainly comes down to age, I dont think you can take DAS until you're 21 :)

I took the A1 / A2 test at 17, so I would have an unrestricted licence by the time I was 19, but even so, I could ride anything provided it was restricted to 33bhp, there were no engine restrictions. Hence why I've had my SV650s for nearly 6 years now :eek:

That bike looks remarkably neat and tidy for its age! Good luck with your test, it looks like it is going to be a good summer this year (y)

That reminds me, I need to take the motorbike test as my two years CBT period is almost up.
Two years ago I gave up the car to return to riding a motorbike and got myself a brand new '10 reg 125 CC bike as I still needed something with a little engine - hence the motorbike (there's a reason for that which I'll tell you in a bit).
I'm aged 45, but in the "old days" I used to be able to ride anything up to 125 cc indefinitely on a car licence provided I have a valid car licence and leave the L Plates on, but since I returned back to riding the bike, the law had changed since then and now have to take a seperate motorbike test - even though I've been riding motorbikes off and on as well as driving cars of various types since I was 21 in the late '80s. ALL legal and full covered insurance-wise, of course!
So, with that in mind, I wonder how much an A1 test does cost and what do I need to do before I actually take the test itself? It's just so that I can continue to ride my 125 CC legally without having to take the CBT every two years. I won't need anything bigger than my current bike (wouldn't be able to afford it anyway as I'm taking a break from work to be a carer for an elderly mother - hence I use the bike to buzz around the town to get the daily shopping, etc).
Mind you, the bloke who does the test locally is an old school classmate so that does put me at ease when it comes to taking the test anyway!

PS: Sorry for steering (no pun intended) this thread off course with my post. Lovely bike, by the way!

Last edited:
Hehe, no worries Ian, If you've been riding for a fair old while it shouldn't cost you much. I think Alex is right in that if you're under 21 you can only do the A1. But if your older I think the tests are exactly the same so it would be a Direct Access (DAS) test.
Both have 2 parts MOD1 if off road and MOD2 is on road (Pretty much the same as a CBT) the MOD1 test is £20 I think and MOD2 £75, but I have Paid for a days training for each test which is quite expensive.
I think you can get it done from between £450-£700.

Hehe, no worries Ian, If you've been riding for a fair old while it shouldn't cost you much. I think Alex is right in that if you're under 21 you can only do the A1. But if your older I think the tests are exactly the same so it would be a Direct Access (DAS) test.
Both have 2 parts MOD1 if off road and MOD2 is on road (Pretty much the same as a CBT) the MOD1 test is £20 I think and MOD2 £75, but I have Paid for a days training for each test which is quite expensive.
I think you can get it done from between £450-£700.

(y) I'll have a chat with my local motorbike instructor and see what he has to say.
But in the meantime, all the best on your test and may you have many happy - and of course - safe years of motorbike riding with your new bike.

Again, a bit off track, but a funny story from years ago popped into my head

Part of the old test was to go round in a big loop, and at some point the examiner would pop out unexpectedly to test your emergency stopping skills. So this lad, went off continuing his loops, waiting on examiner to leap out at some point
The examiner left it a bit, saw the bike coming, stepped into the road with his hand in a stop sign, then, WHACK!!!!
It was the wrong bike :LOL:

Told to me as a true story, but decide for yourselves :D

Nice bike. Glad to see it has engine bars. Wish mine did now after chucking it down the road at the weekend and needing a new radiator.

(y) I'll have a chat with my local motorbike instructor and see what he has to say.
But in the meantime, all the best on your test and may you have many happy - and of course - safe years of motorbike riding with your new bike.

Thanks Ian, you to. I think the bike bug is the same as the photography one though, so once your able to ride bigger, you'll want bigger. Hehe.

Again, a bit off track, but a funny story from years ago popped into my head

Part of the old test was to go round in a big loop, and at some point the examiner would pop out unexpectedly to test your emergency stopping skills. So this lad, went off continuing his loops, waiting on examiner to leap out at some point
The examiner left it a bit, saw the bike coming, stepped into the road with his hand in a stop sign, then, WHACK!!!!
It was the wrong bike :LOL:

Told to me as a true story, but decide for yourselves :D

:LOL: Thats classic, sounds like something i would probably end up doing even if i was the one supposed to stop.

Nice bike. Glad to see it has engine bars. Wish mine did now after chucking it down the road at the weekend and needing a new radiator.

They are quite a nice and helpful little addition to keep the engine safe incase the worse happens.
It also has a front fender extension (the black bit at the bottom), a rear wheel cover and custom milled brake disks (Which I have just found the invoice for in with the rest of the paper work, £381!!!!!)

Last edited:
Really nice bike, I have always liked big Kawasakis. DAS test :thinking: when I started riding back in the early 80s the limit was 250cc. Then a few years later 125cc was the limit.

Back then you could pass your test on a 125cc in the morning, mid morning you could be riding an 1100 ... the best days ..

I have got the bike bug again, but this time it's a small bike for me :)

Last edited:
I had one of these.. bought brand new.. Suzuki GT250 and on a provisional licence.. I ahve to say 35+ yrs later it still looks like a nice bike to me :)

250 was the limit.. but 380 models where the same.. I know riders who had 380 and all you had to do was put a 250 oil cover on (with 250 logo) and the police didnt know you had a more powerful bike.. hhm i didnt.. but for sure lots did.

1975_GT250M_gold_800.jpg

Nice classic looking bike, but must admit I'm a modern tourer/cruiser bike fan. I love the YZF1100 it's a stunning bike.

But I keep staring at the front brake caliper, can any one else see that it's one of them old golly wog heads? It even has the wired eyes and mouth. Lol.

But I keep staring at the front brake caliper, can any one else see that it's one of them old golly wog heads? It even has the wired eyes and mouth. Lol.

I hadn't until you said.. now its annoyingly spooky :)

250 was the limit.. but 380 models where the same.. I know riders who had 380 and all you had to do was put a 250 oil cover on (with 250 logo) and the police didnt know you had a more powerful bike.. hhm i didnt.. but for sure lots did.
Ahh that will explain why all my mates 250s left my Honda 250 Superdream ! Not really, just the Superdream was the slowest 250 on the road :|

Ahh that will explain why all my mates 250s left my Honda 250 Superdream ! Not really, just the Superdream was the slowest 250 on the road :|

I believe the Honda CB 250 although the biggest of the three was the slowest and tended to set on fire.. so the stories went :)

Yamaha 250 was by far the fastest rz250 somehting like that was it?

great days :) ... different life :(

sorry OP .. got sidetracked.. and yer bikes pig ugly anyway :)

great days :) ... different life :(

Ohh I thought it was the liquid cooled Yamaha RD 250 :thinking: LOL I see what you mean nearly (y)

I'm sure my brother had an rd350lc with 250 badges on it?
It was a long time ago, but boy was it rapid

yes rd 250 ... long time ago :)

I'm sure my brother had an rd350lc with 250 badges on it?
It was a long time ago, but boy was it rapid

yep the giveaway was doing 80 on the M6 and a 250 comes along side.. drops a gear and shoots off :)

Nice bike

The cover thats on the tank is to attach a tank bag to it. If you keep the bike outside take this off once in a while and clean under it.
The tank bag will be a baglux and are really good.

spike

Nice bike Snipet, hardly looks 11 years old!!

I'm thinking of going back to a bike, I'm fed up with sitting in traffic jams all the time and it would cut my commute down by half I reckon. I had a twist and go scooter a while back, but the last proper bike I had was one of these: (and yes I am an old codger:LOL:)
ebaybike-venom.jpg

Congratulations on your buy Snipet....looks like lovely condition. (y)

I believe the Honda CB 250 although the biggest of the three was the slowest and tended to set on fire.. so the stories went :)

The CB250 was a four stroke and the RDs two strokes ..twice as many strokes meant nearly twice the power, hence the huge difference, still the Honda didnt drink petrol like it was leaking out...so you'd actually get their.

TZR250 I think you mean ... The GP style frame of which was so good it got adopted by Italian private racing schools using the yamaha XT600 single engine from the trail bike wedged in it ...this combination was so sucessful in racing during those years that Yamaha eventually decided to produce a production bike from both originals and called it the Yamamha SZR 660 Highly recommended if you can find one.

Last edited:
ZZR1.jpg

Me on my old ZZR 1100, one of the best bikes I ever owned and ridden :)

Looking at getting a bag for it very soon, this is one reason why I wanted it on the bike.
As for it's condition, there isn't a scratch or dent anywhere on it, and apart from a small chip at the front of the engine guard it's immaculate.
I'm very happy with what I got for the price I paid for it.

Just remembered I did this cartoon a couple of weeks ago!

motorbikecartoon.jpg

Very good!

I've got one of those in black but mine is far too fast for me and hence not for sale! :)

DSC_1184.jpg

Snipet: your new kawasaki looks very tidy from the pictures. Good luck with your DAS, ride safe though.

That's a nice looking bike osmo, my OCD side would never let me have one though. Knowing one light is round and the other not.
Looks like it's got a hell of a lot of power in it to.

Well i supose when your riding it, you cant see the front.
Just hope you dont stop behind a shiny car. :LOL: :LOL:

Back