My Brownsea Reds

Edit My Images
No
Hi all

Finally getting round to doing a final cull but decided to PP (though a little rough and ready) at least one :)

A little perhaps of not your usual Brownsea image. I tried for some in motion but the light was not good on the Saturday 23rd April when we went a few weeks ago so AI servo struggled with narrow DoF and this is one of the few in motion was just about worth keeping, not as sharp as I would like but heh you have to work with what you get.

This is the full uncropped frame at 1/1000 f5.6 300mm ISO2500
Red_Leap.jpg

2 slightly different final sharpening steps but looks like it has overcooked the bg noise :(
Red_Leap2.jpg

More to come when there is time :)

Last edited:
Last season having got so many of the usual shots I decided to try for some in motion - very difficult and made more so by the fact that the canopy was thickening and not allowing enough light for a decent shutter speed. This one is good and sharp where it needs to be

Stan

Me too the eye is spot on - well caught

Les

Many thanks all for the positive feedback and comments, much appreciated :)

As per Stan's post I still have plenty of the more 'standard' images.....yes will post some soon'ish ;) but I got to the point watching them come and go and the paths they took to try for some in motion ones. In good light the 5D3 and the 100-400 IS MkII in AI servo snaps into focus but when the sun hid the light was flat and the AF speed fell so where I was hoping for some sequences the AF could not keep up with the fleet of foot little darlings.

I will say one thing, watching the Reds made me smile so much I think the 'smile muscles' were wearing out :LOL: They and their behaviour/antics are just a delight to watch.

Last edited:
Squirrel power :D

Do they come up to you at Brownsea island or run a mile?

Squirrel power :D

Do they come up to you at Brownsea island or run a mile?

Well, if you take some hazelnuts...not peanuts!!!! And place a few about in the treestump crevices they will be within (in some cases) say 10feet.

But some individuals will be bolder than others and I saw one quite nervously approach a lady holding a nut in her hand.......she was sitting very still and it came up and grabbed the nut :)

We experienced them taking the hazelnuts and running off and caching them but a few would settle down to crack them open and it was so quiet you could hear the gnawing sounds.

PS time of year is important. April time when there is limited natural foods in the tree canopy so they will be foraging on the ground......and benefit AFAIK from the hazelnut supplement. Later in the year they will mainly stay in the high canopy feeding on the autumnal abundance.

Last edited:
I've wanted one mid air for a while but not got it yet. Well done.(y)

Back