My budget attempt at DVD water droplets

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Got inspired by the recent topics in here so had a go. I dont have a macro lens only some cheap ebay extension tubes and my MF nifty fifty. As a glasses wearer I found it amazingly difficult to focus correct on the droplets, more of a hit and miss affair. Anyway, this was the best of a bad bunch. Quick question, is it easier to do these with an auto-focus lens, i.e. can the AF be relied upon to negate the fact I cant see **it??

larger
thanks
Steve

(ps-dont know why I called it Digital Dreams, it just sprang to mind and it stuck)

I've never done anything like this so can't help you with how it's done. It's a lovely photo though.

I really like the lighting on this. I have never tried drops on a CD but I would think it's the same as most other macro / close up stuff - MF is your friend, AF not quite up to the job I'm afraid.

thanks for the comments (y) think my eyesight might be on the shopping list then rather than new glass :help:

Oooh, just seen this. Great shot, did you wax it first?? ;)
MF is your friend, AF just won't cut it for these kind of shots, I tend to take a variety of shots slowly focussing from the back of the image towards the front, usually about 5 shots in total. I reckon a 1 in 15 keeper rate is pretty good going for these shots TBH, it's a bugger on the shutter count!

Carl

Great shot - another thing I keep meaning to try! Cracking effort :clap:

Got inspired by the recent topics in here so had a go. I dont have a macro lens only some cheap ebay extension tubes and my MF nifty fifty. As a glasses wearer I found it amazingly difficult to focus correct on the droplets, more of a hit and miss affair. Anyway, this was the best of a bad bunch. Quick question, is it easier to do these with an auto-focus lens, i.e. can the AF be relied upon to negate the fact I cant see **it??

larger
thanks
Steve

(ps-dont know why I called it Digital Dreams, it just sprang to mind and it stuck)

The lighting on this is excellent(y)

I reckon a 1 in 15 keeper rate is pretty good going for these shots TBH, it's a bugger on the shutter count!

Carl

You want to try catching drops colliding, I swear the shutter must get warm:LOL:

i think this is a great shot. i'd be happy to hang that somewhere. do u mind explaining how its done? i'd like to try it.

cheers

Back