My computer thinks i'm in france

• Thread starter Deleted member 49549
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 49549

Hi All,

I work for a French based IT company, from it's offices here in sunny South Wales.

Would like to listen to Spotify, but when i connect to Spotify it tells me that Spotify is not yet available in France..

Anybody know of a clever workaround?

they all appear to be blocked by the company filter (or at least all on page 1 of googles search results....)

Yes... It's great working for a company with foreign PoP. The number of systems that get your preferences from your country of presence. Google search use to come up French for me (French/Italian company).

another idea

if share my laptops internet connection with my android phone, will the company network know where the phone is attempting to get to or is it encrypted in some way?

another idea

if share my laptops internet connection with my android phone, will the company network know where the phone is attempting to get to or is it encrypted in some way?
It is the point at which you enter "the internet" that determines what your country is. For me, I'm with Clara.Net in the UK, my PoP is in the UK. When I'm at work I'm routed to a PoP in (I think) Geneva. At work, (through a VPN connection from home) I'm based in Switzerland. Physically, the two computers are within 10 inches of each other.

Hi All

have got a reasonably fast broadband connection set up at home (37meg down, 8 meg up) - can i set up my home computer as a proxy server?

Do you not have spotify on your home computer?

If yes then can you not just use the app for your mobile to connect to it?

But then i'll be eating into my mobile data quite considerably....

What i need to do is get spotify on my work computer. AS spotify sees my computer as being in france, i need a proxy. Most i have treid are either unusable or blocked, so i thought i may be able to use my home pc as a proxy.

I'll have a play when i get home - cheers neil

Depending on how big your company is, you may want to check its corporate IT policy. Some get very upset if you circumvent their internet access blocks.

I use VNC to connect to my home PC from the office, but that's so I can get to my home PC for the data on it, not for internet access reasons as we don't have any restrictions on internet use here.

that is a good point, i normally say to be careful of your work policies and the reprocussions of breaching those policies. it may result in verbal/written warnings, possible gross misconduct depending on how far you went with viewing restricted content.

not sure why i didnt say that earlier.

Hi Neil / Mark - The website in question (Spotify) is not blocked by my company. Its just that Spotify sees me as being in France and i cannot access any of its services.

Cheers

Perhaps i should just get a proper unlimited mobile data plan.

I'm on Orange, and their 'unlimited' is 500mb / month...

It's probably no help but I live in France and I'm listening to Spotify right now so it is available in France. I connect through the standard Orange live box There is a Spotify French website maybe you could sign up to that? https://www.spotify.com/fr/new-user/
Is it that you're trying to use your UK based account and they won't let you do that in France?

Well bugger me, downloaded spotify via the french website and it now works...

Thank you!

:) Feels good to have said something useful. Thank you.

Back