My darkroom

StephenM

I know a Blithering Idiot
Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
This link takes you to OneDrive where are a couple of short videos made about an hour ago, showing my darkroom. I was using an extreme, manually focussed wide angle lens, so no focussing was done - I relied on the depth of field.

Darkroom - the film

I start outside the darkroom, showing the open door. The space has a floor area of 5x7 feet. The fridge can be seen.

Then two enlargers and a pile of LF cameras. Next to the right hand (Durst) enlarger is a row of negative files, with the darkroom blackout folded on top. It's fastened to the underside of the shelf above the door using Velcro. The black Velcro strips will be seen when the shelf comes into view.

Paper for the printer is stacked on the shelves; processing chemicals are tucked out of sight beneath, and in the cupboard in that corner of the space. The worktop has a few Christmas items (awaiting wrapping).

The second video shows the contents of two cupboards, two drawers and the fridge.

Last edited:
How many 10x8 holders! :jawdrop:

and it appears that none of us need to purchase film again, we'll just descend on your place :exit::LOL:

How many 10x8 holders! :jawdrop:

Either 8 or nine, I think. They are at the back of the cupboard, and probably can't be seen. The row you can see (to the left as you look of the Artifex 10x8 tank, are 13x18. 5x4, 9x12, half plate and 5x7 are also out of view.

It states 'there was a problem with the video for me?' :-(

Apologies for the forced download. I haven't found a way of making them play directly - I have tried a link for each individually with no change to the result.

Anyone else care to contribute a "reader's darkroom"? I did a video because I'm too lazy to take photos (plus, it gives a better idea of the space as you can see it connected as I move round).

Stephen, interesting. I used to have a dedicated darkroom then moved house but was able to set up another from scratch. We then added a second child and thus ended the dedicated darkroom. I set up temporary Darkroom as needed in a shower room. It was not very satisfactory. I know you generally use an ink jet printer for the final print but I assume that you still produce some darkroom prints as well.

Dave

We were fortunate in that this house was built with a room in the roof. The stairs run up between the two larger bedrooms, and end in a corridor landing. The start of the video shows this corridor. The builders not only used floor joists for the area that's the darkroom, but laid floorboards as well. It simply needed a back wall putting in and plasterboarding. And no window to black out! So the only alternative use would have been a lumber room. Unless, like next door which is the same, we fitted a window and turned it into another bath/shower room.

I haven't wet printed for some years. If I were still wet printing, the worktop would have had my Nova print processor set up on it (it's on the other side of the corridor, packed away). The darkroom is now used for loading film holders and developing tanks, which is easier with a bench than trying to accomodate everything in a changing tent. Especially when the film and holders are 10x8.

I've kept the enlargers set up as there's nowhere else to store them, and I'm loath to make the final break. I still have developing dishes in the large cupboard, just in case...

Anyone else care to contribute a "reader's darkroom"?
I'll play Stephen, but just a photo. Mine has the great advantage of a sink with running hot and cold water, but being the utility room it also has the washing machine, tumble dryer, gas boiler and a half-glazed back door. :rolleyes: The fridge is film only, and the enlarger is under wraps as I haven't started printing this year yet.. Chemicals are in the lower cupboard, while dry side things are in the wall cupboards.

20201022_110414-tp.jpg

I might play but as you are both clearly organised, I’m not but have the carp excuse that I live in a studio appt ( what used to be known to those of us old enough to remember, bedsits!)
Therefore I have to assemble and dismantle everything for each use inc blacking out the windows / door. .

I might post a pic or two next time I have the gear up and running .

Last edited:
Well I built a darkroom in my second garage (which is joined to the first used by a car)...but there was method in my madness as in the first garage was a sink with hot and cold water.
Anyway don't do prints anymore but use if for storing stuff like computers, tape recorder, camera cases etc etc and being sealed there are no cobwebs or dust .
The white structure on the left by the black door h'mm must have been sorting stuff out at the time.
2pbT131.jpg

I might play but as you are both clearly organised, I’m not but have the carp excuse that I live in a studio appt ( what used to be known to those of us old enough to remember, bedsits!)
Therefore I have to assemble and dismantle everything for each use inc blacking out the windows / door. .

I might post a pic or two next time I have the gear up and running .
To be honest, I had the boiler serviced last week and had cleared space for the engineer and his tools, so it's never as tidy as that. ;)

Last edited:
My "darkroom" is a Nova darktent in the garage ... I could try taking a photo but it would be like the proverbial black cat in a coal cellar.

Probably still interesting for people to see if they don't know what one looks like. Open flap to let the light in?

Here’s my darkroom

View attachment 296295

To the left is the intrepid enlarger set up on a tripod.
To the right is the nova tank a wet side accessories..pmsl

Last edited:
Here’s my darkroom

View attachment 296295

To the left is the intrepid enlarger set up on a tripod.
To the right is the nova tank a wet side accessories..pmsl

The site ran into some problems displaying that Asha. Was it safe for work?

:naughty:

Temporarily closed down by H&S authorities due to insufficient illumination! Pmsl

....gives a dark look.....

Back