My daughter is a cat!

Name
Brian (not Jeff)
Edit My Images
No
I caught my daughter doing a selfie with her halloween make up on and jumped at the chance to shoot her "lit".

It was a bit cramped in my lounge but with a bit of sofa shuffling I managed to get a reasonable background against the curtains. (backlit by the sun)

Key = 60cm Softbox 45° camera right and just above head hight 18" from her face, fill = white brolly just off axis camera right and waist height angled slightly upwards at 2' from her waist.

Ok, I made a mistake, I added a warming gel to the key but not the fill, hence the white neck so kicking myself there.

All constructive comments welcome? - Thanks.

halloween-2.jpg

You're a lucky man having such a photogenic daughter willing to pose.

The sunlight casting shadows on the backdrop is distracting though

Miaow...................

Lovely lady and not a bad photo despite the blobs of sunlight behind her.....

Mj

Having landed here from your other thread I feel compelled to comment..

It's a nice portrait, well exposed, sharp in all the right places.

Did you meter the various lights or just eyeball it on the LCD? What's the flash:ambient balance here?

I ask because it looks a lot like natural light (so presumably hurrah!).
On the downside the catchlights are barely there and the fill doesn't seem to have done much to reduce the shadows in the folds of the face. If that was your aim then maybe it was too low down?

Miaow...................

Lovely lady and not a bad photo despite the blobs of sunlight behind her.....

Mj

Thanks

Having landed here from your other thread I feel compelled to comment..

It's a nice portrait, well exposed, sharp in all the right places.

Did you meter the various lights or just eyeball it on the LCD? What's the flash:ambient balance here?

I ask because it looks a lot like natural light (so presumably hurrah!).
On the downside the catchlights are barely there and the fill doesn't seem to have done much to reduce the shadows in the folds of the face. If that was your aim then maybe it was too low down?

Thanks for commenting. In answer to your questions...

I purposefully exposed the background about a stop below middle of the histogram and added the key to bring her face up to where I thought it looked good, then added the fill to balance (not remove) the shadows under her chin etc.
All a bit of a juggle and on the hoof (well the heel actually) you see I was dressed as a witch at the time!

The image below is a snapshot - not meant for critique thanks. :D (I mean the thumbnail, click if you dare!) :LOL:

Attachments

• halloween-1.jpg
    halloween-1.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Brian, you're going to have to be clearer about what you're looking for. You threw your toys out of the pram because nobody commented on your other thread, and when asked you to put the pictures back up and you refused, but sent us here instead. Now a very good photographer has offered you some constructive crit and you say "Just a snapshot - not meant for critique".

I'm not trying to get at you, but it would help if you were clearer about what you're looking for and if you don't get the crit you ask for just a quick bump and "please offer crit" will do.

Brian, you're going to have to be clearer about what you're looking for. You threw your toys out of the pram because nobody commented on your other thread, and when asked you to put the pictures back up and you refused, but sent us here instead. Now a very good photographer has offered you some constructive crit and you say "Just a snapshot - not meant for critique".

I'm not trying to get at you, but it would help if you were clearer about what you're looking for and if you don't get the crit you ask for just a quick bump and "please offer crit" will do.

Dean - where I said THE IMAGE BELOW is just a snapshot. I meant the thumbnail (below the comment) of us all dressed up which I added to show I was dressed up as a witch... Please read more carefully.

Hi, Brian, it's great ti have models at hand, isn't it.

The shadows on her face are there and need to be. The flash does look quite straight on, looking at the shadow under her chin.

I'd prefer if she popped a little more from the BG.

Nice focus and great eye contact.

I'm very much in the early stages of my OCF photography, so I'm also reading what feedback others have said.

Cheers.

Really like this and the background works just right for me.

Hi, Brian, it's great ti have models at hand, isn't it.

The shadows on her face are there and need to be. The flash does look quite straight on, looking at the shadow under her chin.

I'd prefer if she popped a little more from the BG.

Nice focus and great eye contact.

I'm very much in the early stages of my OCF photography, so I'm also reading what feedback others have said.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy. As in the description the softbox was pretty close give it's size so wrapped around her face quite a lot despite being off to the side. I could have crushed the ambient a bit more perhaps. But printed out the balance between the background and her face looks to be about where I wanted it...:thinking:

Really like this and the background works just right for me.

Thank you. (y)

Back