My Dog... (advice please)

• Thread starter Deleted member 3724
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3724

Hi guys, its my mums birthday coming up and so I've decided to take and frame a photo of our dog who is quite ill and will possibly pass on soon, so I thought it would be nice to have a long lasting memory. Now I have got this photo:

Stumpyfullsmall.jpg

But am a bit annoyed that his left eye (our right) looks a bit rubbish and is mostly obscured by shadow... so I've tried to just have a half image but can't make up my mind which I prefer...

Stumpyhalfsmall.jpg

Any opinions on either and tips to help improve would be much appreciated... I might have to get the camera out again.

[on a side note: I've found a great trick to being able to dictate a dog where to move (depending on how obedient your dog is). Whilst holding the camera in my right hand, I held a tennis ball in my left which I could move around and his head followed wherever it went :D)

Could you not use Photoshop to mask out the parts of the eye you don't want to see?

I think they may both be a little too dark. I had a little play and fill flash works well to lift some detail. But the eyes are the problem :thinking: Can you try again with some natural sunlight on the little beauties face? I also think a lighter image may be a better uplifting photo to remember doggy by :)

HTH

Have I misread your post...? Personally I feel his left eye looks better than his right eye... I like the slight light reflection we see in his left eye.

Want me to have a go at cloning this in Lightroom for you...?

EDIT: I see you have the tick box for editing images checked so... here's my attempt...

dog2.jpg

Yeh would be great, any edits welcome. I can see where you're coming from Jo, I just wanted to get it done tonight as I am quite busy, i shall leave it though, and try some more shots tomorrow. (y)(y)

i dont know how to improve the shot but i think i prefer the second, i agree with Jo though, that a lighter picture may be a bit more 'cheerful' way to remember him. i love black labs, although im biased as my parents have two which are gorgeous boys

Not sure if I have done what you wanted... I edited my post a few up ^^^

Thats great, really is pretty incredible what can be achieved with a skilled pair of editing hands. I have seen sense that it is a little dark and will try for some more shots tomorrow. I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the comments.

I think they may both be a little too dark. I had a little play and fill flash works well to lift some detail. But the eyes are the problem :thinking: Can you try again with some natural sunlight on the little beauties face? I also think a lighter image may be a better uplifting photo to remember doggy by :)

HTH

I agree with you Jo .If you're mum loses her best friend She is hardly likely to appreciate the artistic creative pictures if she isn't able to see her lost pet. If I lost one of my cats I'd go to pieces.
Could I suggest that you take some simple portraits as well so that you have some of each. Also it would be a great idea to take a little lock of the dog's hair now as a lasting momento. Its usually overlooked when a pet passes away and is something real and tangible for your mum to keep .

I agree with the above.
The general opinon seems to be that if youre looking to give your mom a keepsake, then it may be more appropriate to take a picture with the whole of the dog's head in it.
Jmo, of course. :)

Back