My Drive

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34016

Taken with my iPhone 5 yesterday - this is my lane you can just make out my house, to the right of the right hand tree
AND its still raining here :help::help:

Les :(

Let's hope it keeps clear of the house Les :)

My thoughts are with you and your neighbours, Les. I once lived in Wrington, so know the area quite well.

This must be devastating for the wildlife and I would suspect for your breeding programme, if you have one. The shooting season has only just ended, but work never stops for you. Good luck for the coming months.

Reactions: den
Than
My thoughts are with you and your neighbours, Les. I once lived in Wrington, so know the area quite well.

This must be devastating for the wildlife and I would suspect for your breeding programme, if you have one. The shooting season has only just ended, but work never stops for you. Good luck for the coming months.

Thank you Alan-I have NO close Neighbors which is great lol - as you say the Shooting season ended 1st February, but for me this water over my land is proving troublesome to say the least - at last it keeps the Foxes away and the Roe Deer off my Land :banana:

Les :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, but that's forums I guess

Les :(

I agree with a persons difference of opinion, but that comment is, I find offensive and completely uncalled for, particularly considering the trauma the residents of the Somerset Levels are currently experiencing.

I suspect that person picked on you due to the way in which you earn your living. People are quick to criticise the shooting and fishing fraternity, but without the revenue from rod licences, the Environment Agency would be in an even worse mess. I have been a shooter and fisherman since the age of about eight, not so much shooting these days, but I still love a day out with a fly rod.:)

I agree with a persons difference of opinion, but that comment is, I find offensive and completely uncalled for, particularly considering the trauma the residents of the Somerset Levels are currently experiencing.

I suspect that person picked on you due to the way in which you earn your living. People are quick to criticise the shooting and fishing fraternity, but without the revenue from rod licences, the Environment Agency would be in an even worse mess. I have been a shooter and fisherman since the age of about eight, not so much shooting these days, but I still love a day out with a fly rod.:)

I often get Cr*p about the way I earn a living and I spend a small fortune on Rifles Shotguns and the Ammunition that I need to fulfill my job's remit. All revenue to local Gun-shops etc etc and my feed for livestock and Pheasants is all bought locally- can't figure some people & to add I do NOT shoot animals / Birds for the fun of it

I know a few landowners that have lost lots of animals and even one chap lost his life on the Levels due to this continuing rain and subsequent flooding

Les ;)

Looks like you have a drop of water there to keep you company. I was watching the news the other day it all looks terrible down there.

Yes, just a drop and flood warnings are in place for later this week :confused:

It's not good just as well with your job you have suitable transport. Or has it reached a point yet where a boat may be suitable.

My main road in to my little area has flooded again but not as bad as it did last year. But still bad enough to trash a few homes and wreck a few parked cars.

I also have the Jaguar, its in the garage and the door sandbagged to stop any water ingress, hopefully it will be ok, I put it up on ramps, so its a metre off the floor lol The Land rover 90 Tdi will go through anything thankfully

Les

I also have the Jaguar, its in the garage and the door sandbagged to stop any water ingress, hopefully it will be ok, I put it up on ramps, so its a metre off the floor lol The Land rover 90 Tdi will go through anything thankfully

Les

Well fingers crossed for the jaguar, and yes a good old landy there's no stopping one off them.
We had a fair bit of heavy rainfall last night, it's dry at the moment but we are to expect more heavy rain and cold temperatures. Which I could do with out as I have been a week now with no working gas boiler. It's no fun having no heating and hot water because the engineer keeps finding things wrong with my boiler. And my housing association will not let me have a new boiler, and thanks to the flooding I am trapped in my flat.

Oh dear- I do hope you get that sorted soon

Les ;)

I'm sure you'd work out a way to build an ark anyway ;)

Can deer swim? If you can persuade a couple to be roped to a floating platform you wouldn't need to roe yourself (boom boom..)

I'm sure you'd work out a way to build an ark anyway ;)

Can deer swim? If you can persuade a couple to be roped to a floating platform you wouldn't need to roe yourself (boom boom..)

Oh PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :D:D:D:D

Blimey Les! that's not good :(

I hope you all manage to stay safe (and dry of course) (y)

It would appear the thoughtless comment has now been removed from the thread and quite right too, thank you mods. :ty:

It would appear the thoughtless comment has now been removed from the thread and quite right too, thank you mods. :ty:

I assume it was my comments to which you (and others refer) refer.

It was meant as humorous banter (which Lez and I frequently share on here and in PM). I didn't read the Thread, just saw the title, looked at the picture and fired up the comments. At the time I did, I was unaware of the tragic circumstances Lez later documented about the person losing his life as a result of the flooding and the comments were by no means aimed at Lez because of his employment.

In the circumstances I accept my comments were crass at best.

I've PM'd Lez (and the Mods) and offered him my unconditional apologies and these also go out to anyone else I inadvertently caused offence to (mostly).

Cheers Brash!!!!

Last edited:
Holy crap Lez, and I thought mine was bad (I'm 17 miles south of you in the Otter valley , just over the zummerzet/Devon border) - its conditions like this where i'm thankful for access to a 4x4 - although we've had a couple of days where the only thing capable of making the crossing safely was a Manitou (the telehandler, not the sea creature, although actually...) or a boat.

Hope you are staying safe up there, especially with the Forecast for this week :eek:

I thought about that, but decided I'd need a cheaper solution as that would be two deer ..... abumtish, thankyou thankyou I'll be here all week

Thank you all for the kind words-I scanned this photo from local media to show the Un-aware folk on TP just how bad things are becoming (and its STILL RAINING) and now the wind is up too

My land, (I have highlighted in Yellow), as you can see the Levels are more of a lake than flat farmland and I fear most of our resident and unique wildlife may have been lost along with a few people who were sadly caught out, The Government in their wisdom have instructed the Army to help out, though God knows what they could actually achieve? Too little too late ( Rant over)Now wheres me boat.......................

Many images here - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=somerset levels flooding&rlz=1C1KMZB_enGB565GB565&espv=210&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=59P5Uv6AGdGBhAfX2IFg&ved=0CEEQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=775

Les :eek:

Reactions: den
Bloody hell Les, I know it's been a while since we've chatted on the forum for no particular reason but looks like your really going through it, I really hope things start to improve soon for you (y)

Thanks Guys, the water appears to be stable at present, large pumps have been installed now to help drain away this massive amount of water = that said it is still raining here

AND I can't get out Togging :mad: or working more to the point , it's hard to distinguish the road from the land at present, The water is 10 feet from my back door this morning, so I guess I'm lucky so far

Les ;)

Hi Lez

I hope you stay dry over the coming days, i'm in Langport so not far from you and i think i'm starting to grow webbed feet!
At least me and mine are still dry, i really feel for those flooded out.

Shaun

Thank you Shaun-I'm close to Burrowbridge just off the B road to North Moor Green / Huntworth (Turn left along the river as you get the bridge in Burrowbridge - coming from the Taunton side) I too hope this weather abates sooner rather than later mate, I am surrounded by flooded steams and rivers here

Les :eek:

Lez, i made it to Burrowbridge a couple of weekends ago, frightening how much water is now over the old basket centre.

Hopefully we'll miss most of what's forecast.
Shaun

ps. I also shoot and beat so know where you're coming from.

Lez, i made it to Burrowbridge a couple of weekends ago, frightening how much water is now over the old basket centre.

Hopefully we'll miss most of what's forecast.
Shaun

ps. I also shoot and beat so know where you're coming from.

I doubt you'll get there now Shaun - unless you have a boat :p Not been out for weeks now with either Camera or .243 or Beretta Urika

Les ;)

Isn't it about time the people that organise collections for victims of natural disasters abroad sorted out a collection for our people who have been so badly affected by this in the UK?
Best wishes Liz.
Matt

Isn't it about time the people that organise collections for victims of natural disasters abroad sorted out a collection for our people who have been so badly affected by this in the UK?
Best wishes Liz.
Matt

I agree Matt, Will never happen though - Insurance companies bear the brunt and then the premiums go through the roof, so we all pay in the end

Les

PS Who's Liz ???

I agree Matt, Will never happen though - Insurance companies bear the brunt and then the premiums go through the roof, so we all pay in the end

Les

PS Who's Liz ???
Bloody Nexus keyboard :)
should have been Les!!

Les

PS Who's Liz ???

How is it up there now Les ? - its still blinking raining down here and we have fallen and hung up trees by the score - surely the storms have to stop soon

How is it up there now Les ? - its still blinking raining down here and we have fallen and hung up trees by the score - surely the storms have to stop soon

Not raining this morning and the waters seem stable - the Pumps seem to be doing the trick, which is a good thing, as I need to be out and about, been stuck in far too long

a couple of media images from Sunday

Levels Nr Burrowbridge as you can see I almost got Washed away - :eek: my house in on the lower junction just above the two barns

the Pumps in action pushing water into the river Parrot

Les ;)

OMG - looking on the bright side you can now advertise your house as having fine lakeside views, and easy access to watersports ;)

Back