My E36 BMW

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

Just got my Canon 50mm F/1.8 so I thought I would try it out.

Sorry, but the pics are extremely boring, but it was more of a technique tryout for me since I am new to this photography thing.

As such, I thought I would post a few in the hope of some expert feedback.

Also, I know the car is filthy but it was a spur of the moment decision and I only realised afterwards how dirty it was.

Anyhow, I have been having trouble getting sharp pics, so any advise would be appreciated.

_MG_1026.jpg

_MG_1059.jpg

_MG_1056.jpg

_MG_1041.jpg

_MG_1037.jpg

_MG_1051.jpg

I'm no expert but I tried something similar this weekend with my Caterham. A good location is a must without too much distraction in the back ground

Take time to compose the shot and watch out for lamp posts and the like that you seem to miss when taking the shots.

I had to go out again the next day and take most of the shots again, luckily though by then I knoew what I wanted and the whole process only took about 45mins

pics look ok,

but im more interested in the car?

do you have plans for it?
are you going to do it up?

i owned a 328 sport for 4 years that i done up and sold last year

DSCF2227.jpg

and this is my wifes car, it looked just like yours when she bought it, except obviously a coupe

bmwq.jpg

in my sig is a personalised drawing of my car ;)

They're not that bad!

I would suggest that if you post any pics of your car on any website you should make sure your number plate isn't visible.

look decently clear and sharp but they don't evoke anything im afraid try reading this guide http://www.mattw atkinson.com/tutorial/ and trawling flickr for ideas with the the car model in mind

something that might be worth a try, is to put the camera on a tripod and take a slow shutterspeed shot whilst a train is going by. Would create a nice blurred background of the train. Just a thought.

I would suggest that if you post any pics of your car on any website you should make sure your number plate isn't visible.

Slightly of topic but I've always been a bit puzzled by this after all you drive around all the time with it on show to the world?

Back on topic there is nothing wrong with the pics they just lack and real wow factor, the car could do with a really good clean and I'd then either find a better more interesting location or try some DOF experimentation to mix things up a little.

Thanks for all the comments. Invaluable. If any more are forthcoming, they would be most welcome.

As for specifics:

Yes, it needs a wash :)

I know the background is terrible and the pics lack visual appeal. Like I said before, it was more of a technical exercise to see if I could get the camera to take a good pic. Once that is out of the way, I am more than happy to hunt out interesting locations.

As for the number plates, I hate the way the car looks with a white blob on the front and yellow blob on the back if you remove the numbers, so I prefer to leave them. And as a1ex2001 has pointed out, it have never given me any grief before.

Thanks for the tip badgerbaiter. Although I did try and get some shots with the train in the background. It just looked like the fence was too big and blocked so much of the train it was hard to make out. The place is local to me though, so maybe I can give it another go.

DoubleT, your cars, past and present, look very nice. Unfortunately, my car looks better than it actually is (yes, even in that state!). It is having some mechanical issues. Add to that it is a 4 door 316i and I don't think it is a good base for me. Much better idea to upgrade to a 328 like yours and go from there. This car was only ever meant to be a cheap runaround anyway.

However, seeing as I am very much a BMW man, I can see another on the horizon. Although I will admit to being more of a 5 series type of person. But that doesn't mean the next one won't be a 328 when the time comes as I have always wanted one of those. Or an M3 :)

Anyway, once again, thanks for the all the input. Really need it about now since I have just started taking photos with an SLR and it can be really frustrating. Plus if I ever hope to achieve my dream of taking quality pictures, I am sure I could use all the advice I can get. :)

Yep. Although maybe I didn't make it very clear. The bodywork has got a couple of dents in it. One along both doors that is painfully obvious.

But it is the mechanical condition that needs some attending to. Let me see if I can remember what it needs:

Head gasket leaking oil.
Suspension bushes knackered all round.
Needs new front shocks and springs
Needs new rear drum brakes.
Key only opens drivers door on second try
ABS only works when it feels like
Turning the heater to cold brings out a thumping noise.
Oh, and it looks like it might need a new MAF since it now does low 20's mpg and failed its last emissions test.

That is all I can remember for now :)

But for a car that owes me about £500, you can see that it would not really be viable for me to fix it up.

Back