My efforts from BSB at Silverstone (first time out with new camera)

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
Yes
Constructive criticism welcome but please don't murder me !! Using my Nikon D750 and a 80-200 zoom......

Took over 500, got about 60 acceptable shots, mostly panning through a fence on a continuous high speed shutter action.

Hope I haven't posted too many but I am quite happy with 2 or 3 of these. (edit) only 6 allowed !DSC_0735 (2).jpg DSC_0771 (2).jpg DSC_0803 (3).jpg DSC_0871 (2).jpg DSC_0944 (2).jpg

Your pitlane shot is pin sharp! Just a shame about the man standing behind. I think the Hopper pic is the best, because there is no fence. I love the squash of the rear tyre. It does look a bit dark, with the whites blown also. How did you process the shot? Also, I'd shoot a heck of a lot more than 500 - it's digital and it's free! You'll probably get more keepers that way.

Your pitlane shot is pin sharp! Just a shame about the man standing behind. I think the Hopper pic is the best, because there is no fence. I love the squash of the rear tyre. It does look a bit dark, with the whites blown also. How did you process the shot? Also, I'd shoot a heck of a lot more than 500 - it's digital and it's free! You'll probably get more keepers that way.

Until I have time to learn about Lightroom I just used Windows photo editor to set the aspect ratio, resize and lighten, very basic editing but enough to sharpen the image a bit.

Lots to learn, still on page 2 on the user manual for the camera :eek:)

I've been using a D750 or a couple of years it's a great bit of kit, you will benefit from more reach with a longer lens, the 80-200 looks to be struggling a bit with your shots. Shooting through the fence is a tricky thing which takes lots of practice, click away until you can master it. Also use the search button on here for info, as there is some very good advice being offered, for shooting through fences, settings for motorsport etc.
I have always used Lightroom and had great success with editing, so make a start and learn using YouTube videos ;)
This was from the inside of Druids at Brands, a very popular spot and great for your 80-200 lens.
Fraser Rogers Marello Racing, Corby Kawasaki. by Paul Babington, on Flickr

Last edited:
I've been using a D750 or a couple of years it's a great bit of kit, you will benefit from more reach with a longer lens, the 80-200 looks to be struggling a bit with your shots. Shooting through the fence is a tricky thing which takes lots of practice, click away until you can master it. Also use the search button on here for info, as there is some very good advice being offered, for shooting through fences, settings for motorsport etc.
I have always used Lightroom and had great success with editing, so make a start and learn using YouTube videos ;)
This was from the inside of Druids at Brands, a very popular spot and great for your 80-200 lens.
Fraser Rogers Marello Racing, Corby Kawasaki. by Paul Babington, on Flickr

What would you recommend for suitable lens ? Would something up to 600mm zoom be more up to the task or is there other specs I should consider ?

Keep practising, perhaps try and find locations where you can shoot without fences. When you've got that nailed, try through the fences again.

Hey mate, as mentioned above the lens looks to be your limiting factor here - without being able to see the exif I can't really comment on settings accurately. I'm guessing they are quite heavily cropped as the detail is getting lost on the on-track shots but appears to be retained on the final one where I assume you are closer. It is tough to shoot through the fence at 200mm as it doesn't give you as much scope to make use of depth of field to blur it out - 300mm+ does make it easier, but you need to get as close to it as possible for the technique to work (with as wide an aperture as possible) or as mentioned above you have to shoot over the top. 3 and 5 are the picks of the bunch because they are unimpeded by the wire but they are a little too contrasty and over-sharpened (jaggy lines around the edges). Please don't take this as overly harsh criticism (need to stress that, just want to try and help)... at 200mm you will always find it difficult at Silverstone on FF - I still struggle to get the subject large in the frame at 400mm pretty much everywhere bar the inside of Brooklands.

According to specs we have similar camera bodies (I use the Canon 5D mark iii) - so that's why I suggest it's the lens (I use the Canon 400mm f5.6 L often with a 1.4x tc for bikes). Here's a few examples of other locations worth trying at Silverstone and the focal lengths used to achieve them - I always shoot raw and all my shots require some work in post-production to get the best out of them (whether im behind the fence or not), my personal preference is to output images at a minimum of 3000px across.

Inside Copse @400mmm
Jorge Lorenzo - Yamaha by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

Inside of Brooklands @400mm
Cal Crutchlow - LCR Honda by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

Turning into the hairpin at the loop @400mm
Danny BUCHAN by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

Chapel @560mm
Andrea Dovizioso - Ducati Team by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

Turning into Luffield @560mm
Sam Lowes - Speed Up Racing by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

Inside at Vale @400mm
Jorge Lorenzo - Yamaha by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

My personal preference would be for a native 500mm f4 lens but you're talking crazy money for that kind of equipment so there will always be a degree of compromise required... 3/400mm is pretty much the minimum you need at Silverstone for bikes (and usually a TC too) but other tracks are much more forgiving (except Donington). Hope that gives you an idea of what youre looking at for shooting bikes at Silverstone.

That's just the type of answer I was looking for, I follow the BSB circus so am up at 6am for the 100 mile ride. Sorry this reply is brief but your reply has given me some good pointers, I am looking at a 150-600mm lens after xmas unless I see a bargain any sooner. Hope to put a few pics on here and Flickr tomorrow evening.

Sorry for the delay in replying Barry, I see that Jonny has given you some very useful pointers. I started out with a DX body (D3100 & 7100) and 70-300mm and caught some pretty good shots. The jump up to the Fx bodied D750 saw me pick up an F4 300mm lens, which does work fantastically well with a 1.4TC, this I would recommend for you. I have seen some good images shot with the 150-600 lenses but will still prefer a fixed 300 with TC. I now use a 70-200 and a 300 both f2.8s, which are fantastic lenses but very pricey, which is okay if you are selling your photos, as you can recover the initial expenditure, not so if it just a hobby.
Ultimately I think the 400 + 1.4TC looks a great option for bikes, after looking at Jonny's photos, that's when it becomes a bit more serious !

Keep practising and posting, good luck.

Sorry for the delay in replying Barry, I see that Jonny has given you some very useful pointers. I started out with a DX body (D3100 & 7100) and 70-300mm and caught some pretty good shots. The jump up to the Fx bodied D750 saw me pick up an F4 300mm lens, which does work fantastically well with a 1.4TC, this I would recommend for you. I have seen some good images shot with the 150-600 lenses but will still prefer a fixed 300 with TC. I now use a 70-200 and a 300 both f2.8s, which are fantastic lenses but very pricey, which is okay if you are selling your photos, as you can recover the initial expenditure, not so if it just a hobby.
Ultimately I think the 400 + 1.4TC looks a great option for bikes, after looking at Jonny's photos, that's when it becomes a bit more serious !

Keep practising and posting, good luck.

Hi, thanks for your reply, this is why I joined this forum and I am learning every time I take the camera out or read the replies here to my posts. I have decided to put the editing learning on the backburner until the winter when I will have less opportunity to get about. I have been looking around the net for good quality second-hand lenses and have emailed 'Grays of Westminster' amongst others to see what they can offer within my range and requirements.

Barry,

I used the forum the same when I started out, YouTube is very good to. I have only ever bought lenses from the Classifieds section on here and all have been spot on, including the 70-200 and 300 f2.8. Grays should give you good advice though.

Back