My equipment causes a shadow when I flash!

Name
April 2008
Edit My Images
No
...so I might invest in a proper flash for my 400D.

The thing is, I know nothing about what to buy. At the moment, everything is new, so I'll basically just be sticking it on the camera and experimenting.

I havent a clue what features I'd need, what I may need in the future, or even what features a flash can have. All I know is that I see figures of £200 and think holy carp!

I would prefer to spend a little more on something that isn't going to need upgrading/changing in 6 months time.

Please, I need some advice.

canon do a 430ex(about to be replaced by the 430 ex11 IIRC) and a 580 ex11. these are the current models. the 580 can be had for about 240 from kerso and you can claim £40 back from canon so making it £200.

i went for the 580 because after cashback the difference was bout £40 and prefered the overal quality and look of it more. a lot of people use the 430 and not heard anyone say it is underpowered etc... so both should suit the cause. there are other makes, but i dont know whether they are ettl or not

|I think if £200 or so made you think "holy carp" then the 580EXII might just be overkill for you.

You could probably pick up a used 430 EX at the moment..but to be absolutely honest, although you d0nt know what you are doing at the moment, the time will soon come when you will, and you will think "B****r, I wish Id got that 580EXII" !!! :D :LOL:

Its your choice! I got a Sigma 500 DG Super a year or so ago,which was miles cheaper than the 580 EXII,, but then I needed/wanted other features and sold it for a 580 EXII.

Your call! :D

|I think if £200 or so made you think "holy carp" then the 580EXII might just be overkill for you.

It's the fact that I don't really know what it can/cant do that makes me think they're very expensive. A lens I can understand - precision ground glass etc, boudn to be expensive.

A lightbulb in a black box?

Why did you need to upgrade your flash? What does a more expensive one do that a cheap one doesn't? Longer range? Varied intensity?

Sorry, I'm completely in the dark :D when it comes to flashes

Sorry, I'm completely in the dark :D when it comes to flashes

DOH!!!!

Its little things.... like having a pc socket to join it to your camera or other flashes in a studio. Having the capability to fire as a master flash and not just slave in a studio (it can be used to set off your other lights.)

It has stroboscopic capabilities for those shots with lots of images in one of someone moving (you know what I mean!!)

Its obviously more powerful than the 430 ex........pumps out more light should you need it.

I did a wedding a while back with Hacker and had the 580EXII on with a diffuser all day. Indoors and out in the harsh sun.

It was magic... and I am very impressed at its capabilities. Even just leaving it on auto its great with the ETTL-II with your camera on manual.

To be honest its ace for all scenarios... but as I said before... it is YOUR money. but once you have this you wont need to upgrade again for a long long time.

Have a look at this:

http://photonotes.org/cgi-bin/flash-lookup.pl?flash1=canon430ex&flash2=canon580exii&flash3=*

If you don't know what the features are, most are clickable with an explanation....

Basically, 580 = more power, master (consider the price of a stand alone transmitter unit), much better build quality, faster recycling IIRC, built in catch light, customization and wether proofing and some more!

The decision is the same as say buying a 400D vs a 1D - there are more things if you understand what they are for and how to use them....

I have the 580EXII, and while I'm no master of flash photography, I've found it great to use. If you can afford it, I'd recommend one.

The other option is a secondhand 550ex which is the model before the 580ex, this can also be used as a master.

My equipment causes a shadow when I flash!

:naughty: :naughty:

:LOL: Sorry I couldn't resist, and I haave no real advice. You can bash me over the head if you like :LOL: ... I am shocked Janice replied to this without a word too!

Sorry I couldn't resist, and I haave no real advice.

No need for apologies... I worded the title like that on purpose as I thought it might get more views/replies :)

:naughty: :naughty:

:LOL: Sorry I couldn't resist, and I haave no real advice. You can bash me over the head if you like :LOL: ... I am shocked Janice replied to this without a word too!

Bugger I just came back to it as I read the title on the front page but Jo had beaten me to it!! :D :LOL:

You must have some sort of equipment there, to cause a shadow when you flash! LOL

I have the 430ex and find it suitable for everything I do...almost.
I have a white card strapped to the back for soft light...the 5xxex series has a pull out card built in...very handy.
I also have a canon ST transmitter too which I think is great

One of the advantages of external flash is having the ability to 'bounce' the light off a ceiling or wall,- much better than straight flash,especially of people - however this can really soak up the light, so having a bigger output is really useful. Also there are no worries in sticking a diffuser or some such over the flash. Go for the most powerful flash you can afford.

Back