My Father And Me

Depends on context IMO. "Who was there?" "My father and me." or "My father and I were there."

Whoever decided on the title didn't have the same English teacher that I had.

She would have been horrified! :LOL:

It's BBC English. You know, English as she is spoke in the civilised world by the elite, not English as spoked by peasants (or even pheasants).

Depends on context IMO
I’m personally not fussed either way tbh , it does make me wonder however how phrases such as that are now taught at school as ´My father and me´ was very much not accepted throughout my education. ( 1970’s)

I would have been humiliated in front of the class for any grammatical mistakes like this by my grammar school teachers, "my grandfather and me" wouldn't be translatable, literally, into Latin I believe? Had my parents not uprooted me from my first home to the north, I might well have studied classics. On the other hand?

Me ´n t’owd man... Can tell I come from slightly nearer Barnsley than centre of Wakey ;)
I had two colleagues at work from Barnsley who spoke what seemed like gobbledygook to me even though I lived less than 20 miles away from them. :wideyed:

Understanding a Frenchman is easier:LOL:

I’m personally not fussed either way tbh , it does make me wonder however how phrases such as that are now taught at school as ´My father and me´ was very much not accepted throughout my education. ( 1970’s)
You must have lived in a grammarless cavern in which no distinction is recognized between a grammatical object and a subject.

I would have been humiliated in front of the class for any grammatical mistakes like this by my grammar school teachers, "my grandfather and me" wouldn't be translatable, literally, into Latin I believe? Had my parents not uprooted me from my first home to the north, I might well have studied classics. On the other hand?

My Latin teacher, very early on in teaching the subject, gave us "rule 1" which was very memorable, as I can still quote it today - " the verb 'to be' takes the nominative case". Which followed on very nicely from the previous year's English grammar lessons when we learned how to parse simple sentences, and learned that what followed the verb "to be" was a predicate, not an object. Hence, a good Roman would indeed write "my father and I" assuming that the pair actually performed the action. On the other hand, although "my father and I went to the rugby match" (Wakefield Trinity was my local team) is correct, the phrase would be "my father and me" if it were preceded by "Soccer hooligans beat up...".

Both forms are correct, depending on the context. And until the English grammarians got on the case (note the pun) to Latinify English, it was actually correct to say "my father and me went to the jousting tournament". The same people, realising that the English word for a body of land completely surrounded by water obviously had a Latin root, corrected the spelling to put the "s" in island - the word previously spelled "iland".

I rest my case in my declining years.

Edit to add that the latin word for "island" is "insula" - the word does double duty as also meaning a block of flats. It's easy to spot English words derived from this word.

Last edited:
I had Latin forced upon me for nine years. The Centurion's Latin lesson in Life of Brian was so accurate I nearly cried.

I remember nominative vocative accusative ablative genitive dative.

No wonder their empire fell.

Latin was my favourite subject at school. I actually kept up with it after leaving school. I have found it incredibly useful, since so many of the books I read have Latin quotations and footnotes (as in sentences and paragraphs quoted from other authors). I shouldn't enquire too closely into my reading habits...

The same people, realising that the English word for a body of land completely surrounded by water obviously had a Latin root, corrected the spelling to put the "s" in island - the word previously spelled "iland".

Confusingly the island country we know as Iceland is spelled as Island in Icelandic/Islandic ;).

That likely makes the point (I’m no expert) that in a mainly Germanic language like English, an island should be spelled iland :).

Well for quite a while cannot read books as I fall asleep and have my eyes check regularly, mind you I fall asleep watching tv as well. :(

Back