My fear to consider a lens other then Canon

I tried both before I bought my UWA and thought the exact opposite!

I found the Canon had noticibly better IQ when stopped down and the Canon has much better build quality! Much faster and quieter focusing, which I know isnt really an issue with an UWA but together with the build quality made it feel a better overall product.
No one said major differences. Both lenses were good copies
Noticeably better IQ along with much better build and focusing are major differences in my book, we'll certainly have to agree to disagree on all the points you've just made here. I guess the best thing the original poster could do would be to visit the local camera shop and try them for him/herself.

Noticeably better IQ along with much better build and focusing are major differences in my book, we'll certainly have to agree to disagree on all the points you've just made here. I guess the best thing the original poster could do would be to visit the local camera shop and try them for him/herself.

Yes, but only when stopped right down, so no, not a major difference! Noticably doesnt mean major, it simply means worthy or deserving of notice or attention, which it was as it helped make up my mind (along with the fact its faster and has a slightly better range as well but thats covered on an old thread somewhere).

You're right though, the OP needs to try the different lenses if he cant decide between the main contenders and not be worried about taking the non Canon route.

meh not much chance around here. Local canon bringer brings only compacts cause they are easier to sell. These stuff u have to ship them yourself. U dont find them in any local shop. Hence why I have to be double certain that what I buy wont go bonkers on me straight outta the box. Here is not England. (y) :thumbsdown:

...another option is to look at sample images on Flickr. Not a prefect way to compare but if its hard getting hold of the lenses to test it'll give you an idea of what they can do. Type the lens you want to see images of into the search on Flickr and it'll find the relative images for you to have a browse through.

Like I said its not an exact science but as least you can look at real pictures taken by 'togs with the kit, it may help!

I would not get stack with branding. just get the best lens you can at any given moment regardless of brand.

At the moment I have 2 Tokinas and 1 Canon, and my OH has 1 Tamron, 1 Canon and 1 Sigma.

Don't worry about the brand name of the lens, go with the lens that is right for you :). I have a Sigma 150mm Macro lens and I'm really happy with it,that's my two penny's worth of advice :LOL:

Back