My first and second attempt at night shots

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
So here is an image of the first time I took a picture of my car at night with a Canon SX10 is. I wasn't happy with how yellow it looked and well rather dull.

So after alot of input and tweeking I set about taking another. This time using my new camera Nikon D5000.

Please let me know your thoughts, its getting there but still not 100%.

Scott

I think you could be right, my bad. Im new to the forum and didnt look hard enough.

number one the WB looks a little out... number two is good... maybe get abit more light on the back of the car?

apart from that cracking pics

the new 2nd image has too many star bursts on the lights, i find myself looking at those rather than the car itself which is too dark for the scene its in, it might be worth trying it again but shining a torch onto the car around the side so it shows up a bit more...

good start though...

the new 2nd image has too many star bursts on the lights, i find myself looking at those rather than the car itself which is too dark for the scene its in, it might be worth trying it again but shining a torch onto the car around the side so it shows up a bit more...

good start though...

I think it's not so much the starbursts - for instance, if the side of the car was better and more consistently exposed the starbursts would appear less dominant.

That said, there's a contradiction of sorts in your comment: the starbursts are the result of a narrow aperture, against which a torch on a dark car is not going to stand a chance. There's a white balance issue too with lightpainting in a mixed lighting environment. Flashgun could work but would need several images composited together.

It is possible to compose so as to use the ambient light to expose the car correctly- remember to look out for reflections in the car of streetlights or other bright objects. Or try lightpainting but make your first attempts away from ambient light so you get most opportunity to understand how the light you're adding is affecting the car.

hey scotty are you from cliosport im sure ive seen these pictures there?

edit - sorry just scanned thru the thread and missed the earlier posts

Last edited:
Thanks for all the constructive criticism. I've never actually sat down and been taught photography I'm self taught and pick up on peoples feed back so thanks very much.

And yes mate from Cliosport.

Back