My First Attempt at a Group Shot

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Well my first group shot did not go to plan as one section of the family could not make it due to illness. So I split the family up and took some shots of smaller groups. This meant I was able to shoot indoors and I tried for the first time with the white back drop.

I found the white back drop very difficult with my limited skills to get right. What I can tell you is I did not review the images properly before proceeding. I rather foolishly decided to leave it to PS. Forgetting the golden rule, put as much effort into taking the picture as possible! Amazing what the pressure of taking pictures, even of family can do, to your hard read/studied knowledge base!

Now, I really do know that I have done a bad job. What I am interested in is what settings did I get wrong? I think the composition is not the best either. So you experts don't cry at how bad it is, just give me help! Please!

2008-03-23at17-13-421.jpg

This is my Bro and Sis in Law and family. As you can see the piccy is totally untouched.

DSC_1609c.jpg

This was the best I could manage with my limited CS skills.

2008-03-23at17-06-53.jpg

Bro and Sis in Law untouched

DSC_1578f.jpg

My take after using CS.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Chris

In depth critique is for critique on one picture only. I've moved this to people and portraits.

If there is one picture you want detailed comment on then you could start another thread in critique for it.

Hi RobertP,

My apologies, still being a newbie does mean I will even get the forum rules wrong!

Regards

Chris

the postioning of the subjects could of been better which would have helped.you should get that right before camera settings

Hi RobertP,

My apologies, still being a newbie does mean I will even get the forum rules wrong!

Regards

Chris

No worries. Portraits are not my thing so not much advice I can offer.

Having seen what some of the editing wizards on here can do I'd suggest you tick the box in your profile settings to allow editing - so if someone wants to have a go and show you the results they can.

Hi RobertP,

Never seen that on a forum before. Great idea and now ticked!

Chris

the postioning of the subjects could of been better which would have helped.you should get that right before camera settings

Hi image29,

Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately I do not really understand what is wrong with the positioning. Are you talking about the group or couple or both?

Would really appreciate your suggestions for next time.

Best regards

Chris

Hi image29,

Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately I do not really understand what is wrong with the positioning. Are you talking about the group or couple or both?

Would really appreciate your suggestions for next time.

Best regards

Chris

Hi

sorry if it sounded abit blunt i was trying to sort my daughter out whilst writing it

most of the shots look like you have zoomed in to much , which has cut parts of the people out which what look alot better left in. In the first shot you shot the picture past the sheet but if you cropped it , it would taken even more of the people out of the shot.

do you understand what i mean?

i dont mean to sound rude but there are quite a few errors in each but as you said its your first time and everyone has to start somewhere and you will get there in the end , i am definetly no expert

Hi image29,

No worries, did not read it as blunt!

Yes I understand. My backdrop is not large enough I guess!

I do read a few photography mags and their critique of readers photos will most of the time include cropping. I guess that is why I thought it would be the right thing to do!

On another forum one chap has added this change which I really like:

Updatedphoto.jpg

And a friend has done this which is a different take on it and I also like:

chris3.jpg

Regards

Chris

Yep agree liking the one above alot, looks great. What a cool idea.

The guy who did it is creating a video showing exactly how he did it. Will see if it is OK to post link on here when done!

Regards

Chris

Back